Microsoft Update and Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by twixs, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. twixs

    twixs Guest

    When I try to use Microsoft Update on XP SP2 I am asked to download the
    "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"

    I cannot do this and the installation fails:

    *"I get an Iternet Explorer error—how do I change my settings to work
    with Microsoft Update?*

    Use the default security settings:

    * In Internet Explorer, on the *Tools* menu, click *Internet Options*.
    * On the *Security* tab, click *Internet zone*, and then click
    *Default Level*".

    The FAQ suggests to set security settings at "Default" value. However,
    that box is greyed out. I have unblocked pop-ups. I also downloaded the
    Active X script MS wanted.

    Any ideas? Thanks.

    twixs, Aug 24, 2005

  2. twixs

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:59:03 GMT, twixs <> wrote:

    >When I try to use Microsoft Update on XP SP2 I am asked to download the
    >"Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"
    >
    >I cannot do this and the installation fails:
    >
    >*"I get an Iternet Explorer error—how do I change my settings to work
    >with Microsoft Update?*
    >
    >Use the default security settings:
    >
    > * In Internet Explorer, on the *Tools* menu, click *Internet Options*.
    > * On the *Security* tab, click *Internet zone*, and then click
    > *Default Level*".
    >
    >The FAQ suggests to set security settings at "Default" value. However,
    >that box is greyed out. I have unblocked pop-ups. I also downloaded the
    >Active X script MS wanted.
    >
    >Any ideas? Thanks.

    Either you're not logged on as a user with sufficient rights, or malicious software such as Aurora is blocking access.
    At least that's two possibilities.

    Harrison, Aug 24, 2005

  3. twixs

    knackered Guest

    <Harrison> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:59:03 GMT, twixs <> wrote:
    >
    >>When I try to use Microsoft Update on XP SP2 I am asked to download the
    >>"Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"
    >>
    >>I cannot do this and the installation fails:
    >>
    >>*"I get an Iternet Explorer error-how do I change my settings to work
    >>with Microsoft Update?*
    >>
    >>Use the default security settings:
    >>
    >> * In Internet Explorer, on the *Tools* menu, click *Internet Options*.
    >> * On the *Security* tab, click *Internet zone*, and then click
    >> *Default Level*".
    >>
    >>The FAQ suggests to set security settings at "Default" value. However,
    >>that box is greyed out. I have unblocked pop-ups. I also downloaded the
    >>Active X script MS wanted.
    >>
    >>Any ideas? Thanks.

    > Either you're not logged on as a user with sufficient rights, or malicious
    > software such as Aurora is blocking access.
    > At least that's two possibilities.

    .............Or, it is not a "valid" copy of XP installed?

    knackered, Aug 24, 2005
  4. twixs

    ABS Guest

    "knackered" <.> wrote in message

    > <Harrison> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:59:03 GMT, twixs <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I try to use Microsoft Update on XP SP2 I am asked to download the
    >>>"Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"
    >>>
    >>>I cannot do this and the installation fails:
    >>>
    >>>*"I get an Iternet Explorer error-how do I change my settings to work
    >>>with Microsoft Update?*
    >>>
    >>>Use the default security settings:
    >>>
    >>> * In Internet Explorer, on the *Tools* menu, click *Internet
    >>> Options*.
    >>> * On the *Security* tab, click *Internet zone*, and then click
    >>> *Default Level*".
    >>>
    >>>The FAQ suggests to set security settings at "Default" value. However,
    >>>that box is greyed out. I have unblocked pop-ups. I also downloaded the
    >>>Active X script MS wanted.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas? Thanks.

    >> Either you're not logged on as a user with sufficient rights, or
    >> malicious software such as Aurora is blocking access.
    >> At least that's two possibilities.

    > .............Or, it is not a "valid" copy of XP installed?

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    >> Newsgroups
    >> =----

    Not valid has nothing to do with if it will be able to install the tool. it
    would and then it would tell you that yer not having a key that came from
    MS. it still will work tho.

    ABS, Aug 24, 2005
  5. twixs

    twixs Guest

    knackered wrote:

    ><Harrison> wrote in message
    >

    >>On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:59:03 GMT, twixs <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>When I try to use Microsoft Update on XP SP2 I am asked to download the
    >>>"Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"
    >>>
    >>>I cannot do this and the installation fails:
    >>>
    >>>*"I get an Iternet Explorer error-how do I change my settings to work
    >>>with Microsoft Update?*
    >>>
    >>>Use the default security settings:
    >>>
    >>> * In Internet Explorer, on the *Tools* menu, click *Internet Options*.
    >>> * On the *Security* tab, click *Internet zone*, and then click
    >>> *Default Level*".
    >>>
    >>>The FAQ suggests to set security settings at "Default" value. However,
    >>>that box is greyed out. I have unblocked pop-ups. I also downloaded the
    >>>Active X script MS wanted.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas? Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Either you're not logged on as a user with sufficient rights, or malicious
    >>software such as Aurora is blocking access.
    >>At least that's two possibilities.
    >>

    > .............Or, it is not a "valid" copy of XP installed?

    It is a valid copy.

    twixs, Aug 24, 2005
  6. twixs

    twixs Guest

    Harrison wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:59:03 GMT, twixs <> wrote:
    >

    >>When I try to use Microsoft Update on XP SP2 I am asked to download the
    >>"Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"
    >>
    >>I cannot do this and the installation fails:
    >>
    >>*"I get an Iternet Explorer error—how do I change my settings to work
    >>with Microsoft Update?*
    >>
    >>Use the default security settings:
    >>
    >> * In Internet Explorer, on the *Tools* menu, click *Internet Options*.
    >> * On the *Security* tab, click *Internet zone*, and then click
    >> *Default Level*".
    >>
    >>The FAQ suggests to set security settings at "Default" value. However,
    >>that box is greyed out. I have unblocked pop-ups. I also downloaded the
    >>Active X script MS wanted.
    >>
    >>Any ideas? Thanks.
    >>

    >Either you're not logged on as a user with sufficient rights, or malicious software such as Aurora is blocking access.
    >At least that's two possibilities.

    Spybot does not find Aurora.

    twixs, Aug 24, 2005
  7. twixs

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:25:18 GMT, twixs <> wrote:

    >Harrison wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:59:03 GMT, twixs <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>When I try to use Microsoft Update on XP SP2 I am asked to download the
    >>>"Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"
    >>>
    >>>I cannot do this and the installation fails:
    >>>
    >>>*"I get an Iternet Explorer error—how do I change my settings to work
    >>>with Microsoft Update?*
    >>>
    >>>Use the default security settings:
    >>>
    >>> * In Internet Explorer, on the *Tools* menu, click *Internet Options*.
    >>> * On the *Security* tab, click *Internet zone*, and then click
    >>> *Default Level*".
    >>>
    >>>The FAQ suggests to set security settings at "Default" value. However,
    >>>that box is greyed out. I have unblocked pop-ups. I also downloaded the
    >>>Active X script MS wanted.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas? Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Either you're not logged on as a user with sufficient rights, or malicious software such as Aurora is blocking access.
    >>At least that's two possibilities.
    >>

    >Spybot does not find Aurora.

    Aurora hijacks the Windows shell.
    It even runs in Safe Mode, making it particularly nasty to get rid of.
    The same people who created Aurora claim to have an innocuous removal
    program for it, but I'm a little leery of letting the same person who burned
    down my house rebuild it for me.
    Been meaning to do a full image, infect with Aurora ABI, and then use the
    removal tool and see what's left behind.
    Just need to find the time to do it.

    Harrison, Aug 25, 2005
  8. twixs

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi twixs - Two approaches:

    1. It is reported that running the Validation here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    corrects the problem and allows you to subsequently download updates.

    2. Also, per MS Support, the following steps should work around this
    problem:

    Go to Windows folder
    Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder - (if you can not rename it, reboot
    in Safe Mode (F8) then rename it)
    Reboot
    Now download should work.

    Then, courtesy of MVP Torgeir Bakken:

    "When downloading security updates from Microsoft Download Center,
    you will not need to validate (that would be the download links you
    find in the Security Bulletin that accompanies a security update).

    Microsoft Download Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

    You will find direct download links in the security bulletins:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/b..ns/default.mspx

    Also note that you can subscribe to Security Updates Alerts from
    Microsoft at the security bulletin link above. You will then get
    notified of security updates through MSN Messenger, in e-mail, or
    on your mobile phone, as well as through a RSS feed.

    Then you have some Web sites that will give you direct download
    links for updates (updates are downloaded from Microsoft):

    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html

    http://kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2/"

    OT, but FWIW, this page contains direct download links to the 50 most
    popular MS downloads:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Popular.aspx?displaylang=en

    Lastly, per MS,
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/help.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0E6E :

    "About Windows Genuine Advantage Downloads
    You may notice that some downloads have an icon next to their name in the
    Download Center. These downloads also have a highlighted section about
    Windows validation just below the "Quick Info" box on the download details
    pages. These downloads are part of the Windows Genuine Advantage program,
    which was developed to ensure that Windows users receive all the benefits of
    running authentic, fully-licensed copies of Windows. To access a Windows
    Genuine Advantage download, follow the appropriate process:

    • If You See a Download Button or Link
    Click the button or link to download the file.

    • If You See a Continue Button or Link
    Click the button or link and follow the instructions provided. After
    the validation process has completed, you will be returned to the download
    details page with the Download button displayed. If Windows cannot be
    validated, you will receive additional instructions.

    You might try finding a direct download that requires WGA (the Journal
    Viewer, for example, here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8-8b73-4e06-96d4-d1eb70eacb44&displaylang=en),
    and see if it (WGA) will install via that route.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Aug 25, 2005