Microsoft trying to buy market share for bing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sailor Sam, Nov 24, 2009.

  1. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Sailor Sam, Nov 24, 2009

  2. In message <hehdp2$l3p$-september.org>, Sailor Sam wrote:

    > Personally I don't think this is a winner, but it does show to what
    > lengths Microsoft is having to go to, to dethrone Google.

    People have already figured out how to game the cashback offer. Turns out
    the pixel-tracking system is flawed. And some merchants are showing higher
    prices for their products if you find them via Bing.

    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20091114/1839216938.shtml>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 24, 2009

  3. Sailor Sam

    Me Guest

    Me, Nov 24, 2009
  4. On Nov 25, 12:49 pm, Me <> wrote:
    > Sailor Sam wrote:
    > >http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/11/23/microsoft-will-pay-content-pr...

    > > Personally I don't think this is a winner, but it does show to what
    > > lengths Microsoft is having to go to, to dethrone Google.

    > > I have an idea for Microsoft, how about making a decent search engine,
    > > you think that might be a winning strategy?

    > I've another idea - change it - so that it considers itself more
    > relevant than Harry Crosby:http://tinyurl.com/yzznkgo

    What do you have the Bing country search settings set to (top right
    corner)

    For both NZ and USA, with that query you mentioned, I see www.bing.com
    as the first entry in both queries

    Nathan Mercer, Nov 25, 2009
  5. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On Nov 25, 12:49 pm, Me <> wrote:
    >> Sailor Sam wrote:
    >>> http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/11/23/microsoft-will-pay-content-pr...
    >>> Personally I don't think this is a winner, but it does show to what
    >>> lengths Microsoft is having to go to, to dethrone Google.
    >>> I have an idea for Microsoft, how about making a decent search engine,
    >>> you think that might be a winning strategy?

    >> I've another idea - change it - so that it considers itself more
    >> relevant than Harry Crosby:http://tinyurl.com/yzznkgo

    > What do you have the Bing country search settings set to (top right
    > corner)
    >
    > For both NZ and USA, with that query you mentioned, I see www.bing.com
    > as the first entry in both queries

    I think that was his point ;)

    Sailor Sam, Nov 25, 2009
  6. On Nov 25, 1:59 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > >> I've another idea - change it - so that it considers itself more
    > >> relevant than Harry Crosby:http://tinyurl.com/yzznkgo

    > > What do you have the Bing country search settings set to (top right
    > > corner)

    > > For both NZ and USA, with that query you mentioned, I seewww.bing.com
    > > as the first entry in both queries

    > I think that was his point ;)-

    what am I missing?

    "change it - so that it considers itself more relevant than Harry
    Crosby"

    but when I issue that search query, it does already consider itself
    more relevant than Mr Crosby

    Nathan Mercer, Nov 25, 2009
  7. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On Nov 25, 1:59 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>> What do you have the Bing country search settings set to (top right
    >>> corner)
    >>> For both NZ and USA, with that query you mentioned, I seewww.bing.com
    >>> as the first entry in both queries

    >> I think that was his point ;)-

    > what am I missing?

    Not that I am pretending to speak for 'Me', but, one interpretation is

    > "change it - so that it considers itself more relevant than Harry
    > Crosby"

    Sarcasm.

    Sailor Sam, Nov 25, 2009
  8. Sailor Sam

    Me Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> I think that was his point ;)-

    >> what am I missing?
    >>

    > Not that I am pretending to speak for 'Me', but, one interpretation is
    >
    >> "change it - so that it considers itself more relevant than Harry
    >> Crosby"
    >>

    > Sarcasm.
    >
    >> but when I issue that search query, it does already consider itself
    >> more relevant than Mr Crosby

    I'm not quite as deviously cynical as you suggest.
    Bing defaulted to UK. So, set to NZ, removed cookies, and it defaults
    back to UK. I think Google is smarter than that - no?

    Me, Nov 25, 2009
  9. Sailor Sam

    Me Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Sailor Sam wrote:
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> what am I missing?
    >>>

    >> Not that I am pretending to speak for 'Me', but, one interpretation is
    >>
    >>> "change it - so that it considers itself more relevant than Harry
    >>> Crosby"
    >>>

    >> Sarcasm.
    >>
    >>> but when I issue that search query, it does already consider itself
    >>> more relevant than Mr Crosby

    > I'm not quite as deviously cynical as you suggest.
    > Bing defaulted to UK. So, set to NZ, removed cookies, and it defaults
    > back to UK. I think Google is smarter than that - no?

    Curious question for conspiracy theorists, the background picture
    changes when you change country preference. The picture I get for NZ
    features a tower in the foreground:
    http://i47.tinypic.com/8vztqw.jpg

    There's an "evil eye" on the tower.
    What /could/ that mean.

    Me, Nov 25, 2009
  10. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Sailor Sam wrote:
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> what am I missing?
    >>>

    >> Not that I am pretending to speak for 'Me', but, one interpretation is
    >>
    >>> "change it - so that it considers itself more relevant than Harry
    >>> Crosby"
    >>>

    >> Sarcasm.
    >>
    >>> but when I issue that search query, it does already consider itself
    >>> more relevant than Mr Crosby

    > I'm not quite as deviously cynical as you suggest.
    > Bing defaulted to UK. So, set to NZ, removed cookies, and it defaults
    > back to UK. I think Google is smarter than that - no?

    Heh, apologies to Nathan.

    Sailor Sam, Nov 26, 2009
  11. On Nov 26, 11:31 am, Me <> wrote:
    > Sailor Sam wrote:
    > > Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > >> what am I missing?

    > > Not that I am pretending to speak for 'Me', but, one interpretation is

    > >> "change it - so that it considers itself more relevant than Harry
    > >> Crosby"

    > > Sarcasm.

    > >> but when I issue that search query, it does already consider itself
    > >> more relevant than Mr Crosby

    > I'm not quite as deviously cynical as you suggest.
    > Bing defaulted to UK. So, set to NZ, removed cookies, and it defaults
    > back to UK.  I think Google is smarter than that - no?

    Bing isn't officially launched in the NZ market, it is still in beta -
    also you probably have your browser (Firefox?) language settings set
    to English UK

    Nathan Mercer, Nov 28, 2009
  12. In message <8c7b88b2-
    wrote:

    > Bing isn't officially launched in the NZ market ...

    In case you hadn’t noticed, it’s the “World-Wide Webâ€, not the “Country-
    Specific Webâ€. When something is available on the Web, it’s available to the
    whole world.

    Maybe that’s why Microsoft has had so much trouble with the Web, because it
    hasn’t been able to grasp this basic point?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 28, 2009
  13. Sailor Sam

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 14:37:44 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Bing isn't officially launched in the NZ market, it is still in beta -

    Hmmm...

    That is a very normal pattern for Microsoft - release it and then fix the worst of the obvious bugs
    afterwards once people complain about them loudly enough. That way people think that Microsoft is
    giving good customer support for its hideously flawed software.

    > also you probably have your browser (Firefox?) language settings set to
    > English UK

    Hello!!! New Zealand conforms to standard English spelling and conventions (not the American
    butchered version of English).

    If Microsoft wants to default you to anything it should default you to the country that your IP address is
    allocated to - not to what your browser's localization defaults to.

    Carnations, Nov 29, 2009
  14. Sailor Sam

    Biggles Guest

    On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 05:26:16 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 14:37:44 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> Bing isn't officially launched in the NZ market, it is still in beta -

    > Hmmm...
    >
    > That is a very normal pattern for Microsoft - release it and then fix
    > the worst of the obvious bugs afterwards once people complain about them
    > loudly enough. That way people think that Microsoft is giving good
    > customer support for its hideously flawed software.

    Are you referring to that pulse audio crap Lennier ...

    What they must be over 3 years behind the windows and Mac world with
    their half baked linux audio...I think you just about describe every OSS
    project on the planet. Your a fucking clueless hypocrite.

    Biggless..ZZ

    Biggles, Nov 29, 2009