Microsoft trounces pro-ODF forces

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mickey Mouse, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Mickey Mouse, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Mickey Mouse

    peterwn Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > June 03, 2007 (Computerworld) -- In a resounding victory for Microsoft
    > Corp., bills seeking to mandate the use of open document formats by
    > government agencies have been defeated in five states, and only a
    > much-watered-down version of such legislation was signed into law in a
    > sixth state.
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action...icleBasic&articleId=9022878&source=rss_news50

    It must have cost a lot of money in campaign contributions, but it must
    have been worth it, or Steve would not have authorised the contributions.

    So that means that Microsoft is buying off politicians as well as
    engaging in protection racketeering.

    When do you receive your commission cheque from Redmond?

    peterwn, Jun 4, 2007

  3. Mickey Mouse

    Peter Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > June 03, 2007 (Computerworld) -- In a resounding victory for Microsoft
    > Corp., bills seeking to mandate the use of open document formats by
    > government agencies have been defeated in five states, and only a
    > much-watered-down version of such legislation was signed into law in a
    > sixth state.

    http://www.computerworld.com/action...icleBasic&articleId=9022878&source=rss_news50

    Quite right too. We can't let ordinary citizens have the freedom to access
    government documents, at least not without paying the Microsoft tax first.

    Of course, this wouldn't have anything to do with Microsoft being the
    largest provider of donated funds for the politicians who voted on these
    bills, would it?

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 4, 2007
  4. Mickey Mouse

    Peter Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >> June 03, 2007 (Computerworld) -- In a resounding victory for Microsoft

    > Quite right too. We can't let ordinary citizens have the freedom to
    > access government documents, at least not without paying the Microsoft tax
    > first.
    > Of course, this wouldn't have anything to do with Microsoft being the
    > largest provider of donated funds for the politicians who voted on these
    > bills, would it?

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/
    "Microsoft is an experienced political mover. The company spent $8.7m in
    2005 greasing the Washington machine according to OpenSecrets.org, who
    records donations to campaigns of elected officials and candidates, and
    cash spent on lobbying. Microsoft beat all other software, hardware and
    telecoms companies, and was second only in spending to the US Telecom
    Association."

    Peter, Jun 4, 2007
  5. Re: Microsoft trounced by pro-ODF forces

    In message <>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > June 03, 2007 (Computerworld) -- In a resounding victory for Microsoft
    > Corp., bills seeking to mandate the use of open document formats by
    > government agencies have been defeated in five states, and only a
    > much-watered-down version of such legislation was signed into law in a
    > sixth state.

    http://www.computerworld.com/action...icleBasic&articleId=9022878&source=rss_news50

    From <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6594304306.html>:

    Norway on May 11 became the latest European country to gravitate toward
    mandatory government use of the Open Document Format (ODF). According to
    a press release from Minister of Renewal Heidi Grande Roys, Norway joins
    Belgium, Finland, and France to move another step toward a final
    decision to require ODF.

    The Standards Council of Canada is eliciting responses to a proposal to
    adopt OOXML as a standard. Most of the responses are negative:
    <https://forums.scc.ca/forums/scc/dispatch.cgi/public/docProfile/100009/d20070501143554/No/t100009.htm>.

    From <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39287024,00.htm?r=13>:

    Microsoft has severely criticised IBM, saying the company is pushing the
    OpenDocument Format standard to the detriment of Microsoft's own Open
    XML standard.

    Poor Microsoft...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 4, 2007
  6. Mickey Mouse

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >
    >> June 03, 2007 (Computerworld) -- In a resounding victory for Microsoft
    >> Corp., bills seeking to mandate the use of open document formats by
    >> government agencies have been defeated in five states, and only a
    >> much-watered-down version of such legislation was signed into law in a
    >> sixth state.
    >>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action...icleBasic&articleId=9022878&source=rss_news50
    >
    > From <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6594304306.html>:
    >
    > Norway on May 11 became the latest European country to gravitate toward
    > mandatory government use of the Open Document Format (ODF). According to
    > a press release from Minister of Renewal Heidi Grande Roys, Norway joins
    > Belgium, Finland, and France to move another step toward a final
    > decision to require ODF.
    >
    > The Standards Council of Canada is eliciting responses to a proposal to
    > adopt OOXML as a standard. Most of the responses are negative:
    > <https://forums.scc.ca/forums/scc/dispatch.cgi/public/docProfile/100009/d20070501143554/No/t100009.htm>.
    >
    > From <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39287024,00.htm?r=13>:
    >
    > Microsoft has severely criticised IBM, saying the company is pushing the
    > OpenDocument Format standard to the detriment of Microsoft's own Open
    > XML standard.
    >
    > Poor Microsoft...

    I find it interesting that MS can win in the USA by spending large wads
    of $ within the corrupt the political system, yet outside it is having a
    far harder time.......so much for the land of the free....Despite things
    like Balmer claiming the WTO will see the US patent style system go
    global I do wonder......personally in terms of IT leadership I think the
    US will just become marginalised...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 4, 2007
  7. Mickey Mouse

    thingy Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >> June 03, 2007 (Computerworld) -- In a resounding victory for Microsoft
    >> Corp., bills seeking to mandate the use of open document formats by
    >> government agencies have been defeated in five states, and only a
    >> much-watered-down version of such legislation was signed into law in a
    >> sixth state.
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action...icleBasic&articleId=9022878&source=rss_news50
    >>

    > It must have cost a lot of money in campaign contributions, but it must
    > have been worth it, or Steve would not have authorised the contributions.

    yes I'd bet it is. This time more than at any other time, getting a
    company committed is nasty. With MS's XML propriety version effectively
    now is the only real time that organisations/customers can easily bail
    out of MS land.....moving forward they will in effect be locked in as
    using something else will not give the organisation access to their
    historic documents....so if you think Office 2007 is expensive today,
    wait until 2009....I expect to see some work around costs to migrate and
    then MS office priced accordingly....huge pain....and organisations will
    have brought it upon themselves....

    Next stage is I am hoping for some class actions as US citezens sue
    their states as they cannot access their information without MS software
    and a MS operating system....that will be fun.....I cannot see how the
    states can win....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Jun 4, 2007
  8. Re: Microsoft trounced by pro-ODF forces

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:29:12 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > ......so much for the land of the free....

    ....ly purchasable. :eek:)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jun 5, 2007
  9. Re: Microsoft trounced by pro-ODF forces

    In message <>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > June 03, 2007 (Computerworld) -- In a resounding victory for Microsoft
    > Corp., bills seeking to mandate the use of open document formats by
    > government agencies have been defeated in five states, and only a
    > much-watered-down version of such legislation was signed into law in a
    > sixth state.

    http://www.computerworld.com/action...icleBasic&articleId=9022878&source=rss_news50

    <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9023944&intsrc=hm_list>:

    A bill introduced in the New York state legislature on Wednesday would
    require the state government's IT director to study the issue of using
    open document formats within agencies, although the proposal doesn't
    seek to mandate an immediate or long-term move to such formats.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 8, 2007
  10. Re: Microsoft trounced by pro-ODF forces

    Interview with IBM's Bob Sutor about ODF
    <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/06/08/IBM-undeterred-by-setbacks-to-ODF-adoption_1.html>:

    The only one talking about a feud between Microsoft and IBM is
    Microsoft.

    Microsoft XML technology is simply not good XML.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that OpenXML isn't the last format we'll
    hear from Microsoft. It's totally a personal thing, but I wouldn't be
    surprised to see a new XML from Microsoft in a few years and one with an
    architecture a lot like ODF. I could then see a natural convergence
    which could bring the two together.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 11, 2007