    <http://lwn.net/Articles/388304/>.

    No word from Apple. But then Jobs has previously said that the patent trolls
    are gathering to “go after†VP8. I wonder who he’ll be rooting for...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    Re: Microsoft To Support Google’s VP8 Video Codec

    On May 20, 11:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Looks like Microsoft is going to support at least part of Google’s WebM
    > initiative
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-to-support-vp8-video-co...>,
    > <http://lwn.net/Articles/388304/>.
    >
    > No word from Apple. But then Jobs has previously said that the patent trolls
    > are gathering to “go after” VP8. I wonder who he’ll be rooting for....

    This is in general a domestic USA problem. It is very doubtful that
    the algorithms can be patented elsewhere. Even in USA the claimed
    patents may be dubious, what allows patent trolling is the ease of
    getting an injunction in support of a dubious patent. The challenging
    of patents is so widespread that the patent troll industry and their
    lawyers are trying to lobby for a one year 'limitation' on challenging
    new patents. there is also patent racketeering where a patent troll
    extracts a licence fee without disclosing the specific patents
    allegedly being infringed. This is RICO stuff in my books. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

    See:

    A couple of patents got trashed when the defence showed prior art by
    parading an ancient Commodore Amiga in the courtroom to demonstrate
    prior art. It materialised following a general call to geeks to help
    track down prior art. The resources of the open source world leaves
    the likes of Pinkertons for dead. The Amiga was in working order.

    Oh yes, someone tried to get a NZ patent for a door lock operated by a
    cell phone. However in the 1980's the then new Upper Waitaki power
    stations had door locks actuated by the SCADA system which used
    wireless links. When a technician arrived at the power station he
    would call up the control room at Twizel and ask the operator to
    release the door. Hence there was prior art.
    peterwn, May 20, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    > Looks like Microsoft is going to support at least part of Google’s WebM
    > initiative
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-to-support-vp8-video-codec-with-internet-explorer-9-after-all/6264>,
    > <http://lwn.net/Articles/388304/>.
    >
    > No word from Apple. But then Jobs has previously said that the patent trolls
    > are gathering to “go after†VP8. I wonder who he’ll be rooting for...

    LOL
    How do ya like them apples ?
    victor, May 20, 2010
  4. In message
    <>, peterwn
    wrote:

    > This is in general a domestic USA problem. It is very doubtful that
    > the algorithms can be patented elsewhere.

    The EU officially has no software patents, yet it appears their patent
    officers have a tendency to allow things that come perilously close to being
    software patents. There is similar ambiguity in the UK. So in spite of
    official protestations to the contrary, the software patent affliction has
    in fact spread a bit further than the US.

    I know our Parliamentary select committee on the recent Patents Bill
    proposal has come out firmly against software patents, and to his credit,
    the Commerce Minister has expressed clear support for that move.

    But as they say, there’s many a slip ’twixt cup and lip ... let’s wait until
    our new Patents Bill is actually passed, and then see how it’s enforced ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2010
  5. Good analysis of the big question: it looks like WebM will have no support
    for copy protection, so will Hollywood try to kill it
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/google-fights-the-hollywood-tech-veto/6533>?

    But then, if they don’t want any of their content in this format, so what?
    Google has already started encoding YouTube content in WebM, and there is a
    huge amount of footage there submitted from users who created it themselves,
    and who are quite happy to see it distributed in freely-redistributable
    formats. Just so long as browsers continue to give content creators a
    choice, instead of forcing everything into Flash or H.264, I think it can be
    safely left to simple market competition to sort the issue out.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2010