Microsoft to "retire" Windows XP in April 2014

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Jul 12, 2012.

  1. Donchano

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-08-04, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 04/08/12 10:43, Mutley wrote:

    >>> You don't have to upgrade, Geo. Like "Frank Williams" says, it will
    >>> never stop working and the serious security holes will be filled by the
    >>> time the updates stop coming. If you get a new computer, it will likely
    >>> come with a later version of Windows.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >> M$ will send out a "time bomb" update that will six months later kill
    >> Win XP with a message to upgrade to Windows 8..
    >>

    > They have never done that before.

    So have they even thought about it?

    Gordon, Aug 4, 2012

  2. Donchano

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-08-04, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > I'd like to keep XP now I've got used to it.
    > They say there will be some upgrade to 8 for people with XP.

    Not from what I have read. Remember Ms 8 is about world domination on
    everything you use.

    it is going to be interesting to see if her can win over that R2D2 look
    alike.

    > Why change something that works so well?

    The novelity value, to the bottom line.

    > It's like all these fancy mobile phones. If we ever get one I probably won't
    > use it except when I have to leave Hubby for shopping. I certainly wouldn't
    > keep answering it like some people seem to do. Often we don't even bother
    > answering the landline phone.

    To think that the great invention which a man who spent most of his life
    teaching deaf people to speak. Has now reached it point in history, of not
    being useful.

    >And I'm not going to learn text language.

    Yep. Still it is English yes? For us English speaking folks.

    > Some fool always phones about 6pm and has gone whenever we pick it up, so we
    > don't answer around that time. If it's anyone we know they will phone again,
    > or email us.

    Case closed.

    > And what is wrong with Yahoo? They used to send a daily digest from a pigeon
    > group. That hasn't been around the last few days.

    Yahoo is part of Telecom. Well, it to be expected. Enjoy the break.

    Gordon, Aug 4, 2012

  3. "Tony" wrote in message news:p...

    >Mutley <> wrote:
    >>M$ will send out a "time bomb" update that will six months later kill
    >>Win XP with a message to upgrade to Windows 8..

    >Nonsense, not only have they never done that but it is probably unlawful.
    >Tony

    Probably? the lawsuit they would face would be in the trillions.

    Robin Halligan, Aug 4, 2012
  4. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    On 04/08/12 16:47, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2012-08-04, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >>> M$ will send out a "time bomb" update that will six months later kill
    >>> Win XP with a message to upgrade to Windows 8..
    >>>

    >> They have never done that before.
    >>

    > So have they even thought about it?

    Almost certainly.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2012
  5. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    On 04/08/12 16:36, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >> Frank Williams <> wrote:

    >>> 8 is 100% Rubbish go on the Internet and read the News.
    >>>
    >>> Plus high system requirements, so how is it going to work on a 10 year
    >>> old PC.
    >>>
    >>> Please think before you post again..

    >> Agreed. I will be sticking with 7 for a long long time..

    > I expect Trend Micro will go on stopping the viruses etc.
    > (Don't everybody tell me I should have something else!)

    They will keep doing it (for XP) so long as there is a *significant*
    number of XP users out there.

    > I'd like to keep XP now I've got used to it.
    > They say there will be some upgrade to 8 for people with XP.
    >
    > Why change something that works so well?

    XP will fade away - support will gradually go away. That doesn't mean
    that you have to stop using it. The reason that the companies change
    things is to make more money of course!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2012
  6. Donchano

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    [snip]
    > And what is wrong with Yahoo? They used to send a daily digest from a
    > pigeon group. That hasn't been around the last few days.

    As the 'list owner' of a Yahoo group I got an email a couple of months back
    from Yahoo saying that they were discontinuing the 'old-style' email lists
    and warning me to grab any data that I might want to keep.

    Apparently hardly anyone uses them anymore, instead using facebook groups
    and the like. I think the Yahoo mail-out said they were going to offer some
    flash - bling updated format group system, I don't recall.

    My point? The (Yahoo) pigeon group is (likely) no more. Ceased to exsist.
    Shucked off this mortal coil. Pining for the fjiords..... Or would that be
    the parrot group?
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2012
  7. In article <jviqrt$s6i$>, "Robin Halligan" <> wrote:
    >"Tony" wrote in message news:p...
    >
    >>Mutley <> wrote:
    >>>M$ will send out a "time bomb" update that will six months later kill
    >>>Win XP with a message to upgrade to Windows 8..

    >>Nonsense, not only have they never done that but it is probably unlawful.
    >>Tony

    >Probably? the lawsuit they would face would be in the trillions.

    They have a good record with law suits (in Eurpoe among other places). They
    have what is known in the trade a s a large war chest.
    Would it be ethical/legal ? No.

    Would they try it ? ... if they thought they could get away with it ...
    absolutely. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 6, 2012
  8. Donchano

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> And what is wrong with Yahoo? They used to send a daily digest from a
    >> pigeon group. That hasn't been around the last few days.

    > As the 'list owner' of a Yahoo group I got an email a couple of months
    > back from Yahoo saying that they were discontinuing the 'old-style' email
    > lists and warning me to grab any data that I might want to keep.
    >
    > Apparently hardly anyone uses them anymore, instead using facebook groups
    > and the like. I think the Yahoo mail-out said they were going to offer
    > some flash - bling updated format group system, I don't recall.
    >
    > My point? The (Yahoo) pigeon group is (likely) no more. Ceased to exsist.
    > Shucked off this mortal coil. Pining for the fjiords..... Or would that be
    > the parrot group?

    I haven't caught up here for a while.

    Yahoo has sorted out the pigeon group now. It looks different, but I now get
    a daily digest again.
    (Aren't we lucky here that we don't have raccoons, snakes and bears
    molesting the aviaries!)

    Geopelia, Aug 21, 2012
  9. On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:45:13 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>> And what is wrong with Yahoo? They used to send a daily digest from a
    >>> pigeon group. That hasn't been around the last few days.

    >> As the 'list owner' of a Yahoo group I got an email a couple of months
    >> back from Yahoo saying that they were discontinuing the 'old-style' email
    >> lists and warning me to grab any data that I might want to keep.
    >>
    >> Apparently hardly anyone uses them anymore, instead using facebook groups
    >> and the like. I think the Yahoo mail-out said they were going to offer
    >> some flash - bling updated format group system, I don't recall.
    >>
    >> My point? The (Yahoo) pigeon group is (likely) no more. Ceased to exsist.
    >> Shucked off this mortal coil. Pining for the fjiords..... Or would that be
    >> the parrot group?

    >I haven't caught up here for a while.
    >
    >Yahoo has sorted out the pigeon group now. It looks different, but I now get
    >a daily digest again.
    >(Aren't we lucky here that we don't have raccoons, snakes and bears
    >molesting the aviaries!)

    No we have Human idiots instead

    Frank Williams, Aug 21, 2012
  10. Donchano

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:45:13 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> As the 'list owner' of a Yahoo group I got an email a couple of months
    >>> back from Yahoo saying that they were discontinuing the 'old-style'
    >>> email
    >>> lists and warning me to grab any data that I might want to keep.
    >>>
    >>> Apparently hardly anyone uses them anymore, instead using facebook
    >>> groups
    >>> and the like. I think the Yahoo mail-out said they were going to offer
    >>> some flash - bling updated format group system, I don't recall.
    >>>
    >>> My point? The (Yahoo) pigeon group is (likely) no more. Ceased to
    >>> exsist.
    >>> Shucked off this mortal coil. Pining for the fjiords..... Or would that
    >>> be
    >>> the parrot group?

    >>I haven't caught up here for a while.
    >>
    >>Yahoo has sorted out the pigeon group now. It looks different, but I now
    >>get
    >>a daily digest again.
    >>(Aren't we lucky here that we don't have raccoons, snakes and bears
    >>molesting the aviaries!)
    >>

    > No we have Human idiots instead

    The ones that killed all those parrots down South should be out of jail
    soon.
    It will be up to the public what happens then.
    Unless the Curse got any of them. But who believes in such things today?

    Geopelia, Aug 21, 2012
  11. Donchano

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>> And what is wrong with Yahoo? They used to send a daily digest from
    >>> a pigeon group. That hasn't been around the last few days.

    >> As the 'list owner' of a Yahoo group I got an email a couple of
    >> months back from Yahoo saying that they were discontinuing the
    >> 'old-style' email lists and warning me to grab any data that I might
    >> want to keep. Apparently hardly anyone uses them anymore, instead using
    >> facebook
    >> groups and the like. I think the Yahoo mail-out said they were going
    >> to offer some flash - bling updated format group system, I don't
    >> recall. My point? The (Yahoo) pigeon group is (likely) no more. Ceased to
    >> exsist. Shucked off this mortal coil. Pining for the fjiords..... Or
    >> would that be the parrot group?

    Hi Geo, good to 'see' you. :)

    > I haven't caught up here for a while.

    Yep, I understand that, it happens from time-to-time.

    > Yahoo has sorted out the pigeon group now. It looks different, but I
    > now get a daily digest again.

    Well swtrictly speaking 'Yahoo' haven't sorted it out, the registered list
    owners would have set it up again according to Yahoo's new format. I was a
    Yahoo list co-owner and got an email telling me that I'd have to re-register
    the group and migrate the 'archives' over if I so desired. Failure to do so
    would have meant the group vanished. So it's the people who run the group
    that you have to thank, not yahoo per se.

    (The group that I was 'co-owner' of had been so quiet for a long time that I
    didn't bother to do anything - now it doesn't exist anymore and all of the
    archives are gone so I assume that the other two co-owners also chose to not
    migrate to the new format.)

    > (Aren't we lucky here that we don't have raccoons, snakes and bears
    > molesting the aviaries!)

    We are lucky in lots of other ways too - and not so lucky in others. I think
    that, bi-and-large, <g> it all balances out in the end.

    Best regards,

    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2012
  12. Donchano

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> As the 'list owner' of a Yahoo group I got an email a couple of
    >>> months back from Yahoo saying that they were discontinuing the
    >>> 'old-style' email lists and warning me to grab any data that I might
    >>> want to keep. Apparently hardly anyone uses them anymore, instead using
    >>> facebook
    >>> groups and the like. I think the Yahoo mail-out said they were going
    >>> to offer some flash - bling updated format group system, I don't
    >>> recall. My point? The (Yahoo) pigeon group is (likely) no more. Ceased
    >>> exsist. Shucked off this mortal coil. Pining for the fjiords..... Or
    >>> would that be the parrot group?

    > Hi Geo, good to 'see' you. :)
    >
    >> I haven't caught up here for a while.

    > Yep, I understand that, it happens from time-to-time.
    >
    >> Yahoo has sorted out the pigeon group now. It looks different, but I
    >> now get a daily digest again.

    > Well swtrictly speaking 'Yahoo' haven't sorted it out, the registered list
    > owners would have set it up again according to Yahoo's new format. I was a
    > Yahoo list co-owner and got an email telling me that I'd have to
    > re-register the group and migrate the 'archives' over if I so desired.
    > Failure to do so would have meant the group vanished. So it's the people
    > who run the group that you have to thank, not yahoo per se.
    >
    > (The group that I was 'co-owner' of had been so quiet for a long time that
    > I didn't bother to do anything - now it doesn't exist anymore and all of
    > the archives are gone so I assume that the other two co-owners also chose
    > to not migrate to the new format.)
    >
    >> (Aren't we lucky here that we don't have raccoons, snakes and bears
    >> molesting the aviaries!)

    > We are lucky in lots of other ways too - and not so lucky in others. I
    > think that, bi-and-large, <g> it all balances out in the end.

    Seals coming into offices and whales calving off Browns Bay!
    Whatever next? Pukekos in Parliament?
    Now there's a thought!

    Geopelia, Aug 24, 2012