Microsoft small business server 2003 - help needed to understand what is needed to use it

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dima, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Hello All!

    Thanks to Microsoft's fat-cat policies and money grabbing techniques,
    and a barrage of verbal garbage in EUA, I am now unsure what I need to
    buy and how to budget...

    I need MS Small Business Server 2003 standard edition, there are 7
    users with no more than 5 users using the system at the same time at
    any given point in time.

    Microsoft's specifications for the SBS 2003 say that the new operating
    system is robust and reliable... Whilst the minimum requirements for
    the SBS 2003 say that a Microsoft Server 2000/2003 or Server NT 4 is
    needed to run the SBS 2003…

    Doesn't SBS 2003 have an operating system as part of the package? If
    it doesn't and relies on the existing system then Windows Server NT 4
    just has to be the "new robust and reliable system" they are talking
    about…

    Talking about the licenses to access the Server… Do I need a license
    for 5 devices (unlimited users) or 5 users (unlimited devices)? Do I
    need licenses for every person who has an account in the server or
    only the maximum number of people accessing it at any given time?

    Thanks
    Dim

    Dima, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Dima

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:17:51 +0100, Dima wrote:

    >Hello All!
    >
    >Thanks to Microsoft's fat-cat policies and money grabbing techniques,
    >and a barrage of verbal garbage in EUA, I am now unsure what I need to
    >buy and how to budget...
    >
    >I need MS Small Business Server 2003 standard edition, there are 7
    >users with no more than 5 users using the system at the same time at
    >any given point in time.

    I have always used, licensing is per seat for logged on (authenticated
    user) not the number of PCs.

    >Microsoft's specifications for the SBS 2003 say that the new operating
    >system is robust and reliable... Whilst the minimum requirements for
    >the SBS 2003 say that a Microsoft Server 2000/2003 or Server NT 4 is
    >needed to run the SBS 2003…

    Std. / Premium edition include Server 2003 unless this is wrong
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/howtobuy/pricing.mspx

    >Doesn't SBS 2003 have an operating system as part of the package? If
    >it doesn't and relies on the existing system then Windows Server NT 4
    >just has to be the "new robust and reliable system" they are talking
    >about…

    Looks like SBS 2003 home page.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx

    >Talking about the licenses to access the Server… Do I need a license
    >for 5 devices (unlimited users) or 5 users (unlimited devices)? Do I
    >need licenses for every person who has an account in the server or
    >only the maximum number of people accessing it at any given time?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/howtobuy/CALs.mspx
    It explains the different modes.

    The common theme here is,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/

    Me

    why?, Oct 20, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Dima <> wrote:

    > Thanks to Microsoft's fa<SLAP>

    You are welcome to microsoft's fat cat policies and money grabbing
    techniques have you felt you were now unsure what you need to buy and
    how to budget.

    > I need MS Small Business Server 200<SLAP>

    You are joking, right?

    >Doesn't SBS 2003 have an operating system as part of the package? If
    >it doesn't and relies on the existing system then Windows Server NT 4
    >just has to be the "new robust and reliable system" they are talking
    >about…

    You woke me up for that?

    >Talking about the licenses to access the Server… Do I need a license
    >for 5 devices (unlimited users) or 5 users (unlimited devices)? Do I
    >need licenses for every person who has an account in the server or
    >only the maximum number of people accessing it at any given time?

    Are you sure?

    >Thanks
    >Dim

    You are welcome dim.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Apparently, Lady Chatterly is a Bot. S/he pops up on
    alt.music.michael-jackson from time to time." -- Archie Leach

    Lady Chatterly, Oct 20, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >I have always used, licensing is per seat for logged on (authenticated
    >user) not the number of PCs.

    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask
    remains a fool forever.

    >Me

    What do you dream about?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "if Elizabot tracks FNVWturd, I am interested to give it a try." --
    Real Friendly Neighborhood Vote Ranger

    Lady Chatterly, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Dima

    Dmitriy Guest

    Thank you for your help.

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:31:16 GMT, why?

    Dmitriy, Oct 20, 2004
  6. Dima

    Dmitriy Guest

    Sorry for waking you up, you should have died in your sleep!
    Thank you for your disattention...

    Dmitriy, Oct 20, 2004