Microsoft SkyDrive reset?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Netman, Oct 10, 2011.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Hello!

    I used to use various freeware applications for skydrive cloud drive.
    All of the skydrive clients didn`t work properly for a whole time of
    uploading data.
    There used to be breaks during uploading. The most common reason was error:
    "Timeout".
    I suppose that this problem occurs not as a failure of the freeware
    programs, but it was
    the problem of skydrive service. I had to click "Retry" button and the
    uploading was being
    continued.

    Do you have some information if microsoft skydrive makes such politics and
    force user
    uploading to restart/timeout? Is this timeout failure, a fault of the
    program maybe?
    What does really cause this problem? I have to add that I use a few instance
    of the program
    (lately I`ve been using CartoDav freeware skydrive client) at the same time
    and various accounts
    and when the timeout error occurs, other uploadings doesn`t stop. It occurs
    randomly
    on various accounts and in various moments.
    I used to use many freeware skydrive clients and I got the same error
    messages.

    Please help, because I did not find any information on internet about it.
    How can I prevent it?
    Thank you in advance
    Netm.
    Netman, Oct 10, 2011

  2. Netman

    Paul Guest

    Netman wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I used to use various freeware applications for skydrive cloud drive.
    > All of the skydrive clients didn`t work properly for a whole time of
    > uploading data.
    > There used to be breaks during uploading. The most common reason was error:
    > "Timeout".
    > I suppose that this problem occurs not as a failure of the freeware
    > programs, but it was
    > the problem of skydrive service. I had to click "Retry" button and the
    > uploading was being
    > continued.
    >
    > Do you have some information if microsoft skydrive makes such politics and
    > force user
    > uploading to restart/timeout? Is this timeout failure, a fault of the
    > program maybe?
    > What does really cause this problem? I have to add that I use a few instance
    > of the program
    > (lately I`ve been using CartoDav freeware skydrive client) at the same time
    > and various accounts
    > and when the timeout error occurs, other uploadings doesn`t stop. It occurs
    > randomly
    > on various accounts and in various moments.
    > I used to use many freeware skydrive clients and I got the same error
    > messages.
    >
    > Please help, because I did not find any information on internet about it.
    > How can I prevent it?
    > Thank you in advance
    > Netm.

    You start by using a packet analyser. I use Wireshark for example.
    It logs the traffic on my network interface. It must be "restarted"
    occasionally, before it uses up all RAM. I turn it off, if downloading
    a gigabyte sized file, and the beginning of the transfer is looking good.
    (Yes, it takes a while to learn how to use it. It doesn't give
    "instant answers" or anything :) )

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

    To give an example, I've noticed an uptick on my ISP inserting "RST"
    packets again. I can't even get web surfing on cnn.com to work properly.
    Sometimes, pages take 30 seconds to launch (it's not a DNS problem,
    because the first invocation of cnn.com seconds before that, works just dandy).
    And if I go check the log, I'm seeing some RST packets, and they're likely
    the fake kind (you look at the pattern of them, and if they splatter all
    over the place and affect more than one server, it's the ISP screwing around).
    RST packets have a legit usage, but normally, only one server would be
    overloaded at a time, and sending them out. ISPs can do a "man in the
    middle" attack, and send RST packets towards both the user and that server
    at the same time, to cause the user's server connection to drop. Software which
    doesn't automatically retry, will get a timeout.

    So you can't conclude, for sure, it's a Microsoft problem. There are
    too many other idiots in charge of the plumbing, to mess things up.
    And it starts with my ISP and the packet filter they've got running.
    (The packet filter was mainly installed to control Torrent traffic,
    but I bet they even screw with the Netflix traffic.) Since my ISP also
    runs their own IPTV server, there is plenty of room for a conflict of
    interest.

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 10, 2011

  3. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Uzytkownik "Paul" <> napisal w wiadomosci
> [...]

    > around).
    > RST packets have a legit usage, but normally, only one server would be
    > overloaded at a time, and sending them out. ISPs can do a "man in the
    > middle" attack, and send RST packets towards both the user and that server
    > at the same time, to cause the user's server connection to drop. Software
    > which
    > doesn't automatically retry, will get a timeout.
    >
    > So you can't conclude, for sure, it's a Microsoft problem. There are
    > too many other idiots in charge of the plumbing, to mess things up.
    > And it starts with my ISP and the packet filter they've got running.
    > (The packet filter was mainly installed to control Torrent traffic,
    > but I bet they even screw with the Netflix traffic.) Since my ISP also
    > runs their own IPTV server, there is plenty of room for a conflict of

    I got it. I know what it was.
    I packed using 7zip packing software into 12 MB files.
    When I upload such small files there is not timeout problem.
    All the files are uploading and they don`t stop or reset.
    If file is larger i.e. 80MB the problem still occurs.

    Netm
    Netman, Oct 23, 2011