    changed yet.

    Thank you in advance for help
    Netm.
    Netman, Oct 10, 2011

  2. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Uzytkownik "VanguardLH" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    > Netman wrote:
    >
    >> At the beginning of Sep 2011 I`ve read that Microsoft plans to share
    >> skydrive cloud drive for photos and docs for unlimited use. For any
    >> other data apart from photos docs there would be still 25 GB free
    >> space for use.
    >>
    >> Do you know when Microsoft will launch this feature? It is nearly
    >> half of October 2011 and Skydrive haven`t changed yet.

    > There will ALWAYS be a quota on max storage space since obviously it
    > isn't infinite anywhere. They couldn't even afford nor will grant you
    > consumption of all their disk space across all of their worldwide
    > distribution of server farms. Or might "unlimited use" have a different
    > meaning than disk consumption (which you referenced)?
    >
    > Just WHERE did you see that announcement? Give a link to an example for
    > a reliable source. "Them", "they", "somewhere" or other vague reference
    > is not acceptable to authenticate your claim.

    I`ve read it on Polish chip.pl web page, but this news occured
    also on many foreign portals.

    Here is one of example:

    http://www.wpcentral.com/skydrive-get-unlimited-storage

    Netm.
    Netman, Oct 11, 2011

  3. Netman

    VanguardLH Guest

    Netman wrote:

    > VanguardLH ...
    >
    >> Netman wrote:
    >>
    >>> At the beginning of Sep 2011 I`ve read that Microsoft plans to share
    >>> skydrive cloud drive for photos and docs for unlimited use. For any
    >>> other data apart from photos docs there would be still 25 GB free
    >>> space for use.
    >>>
    >>> Do you know when Microsoft will launch this feature? It is nearly
    >>> half of October 2011 and Skydrive haven`t changed yet.

    >> Just WHERE did you see that announcement? Give a link to an example
    >> for a reliable source. "Them", "they", "somewhere" or other vague
    >> reference is not acceptable to authenticate your claim.

    > I`ve read it on Polish chip.pl web page, but this news occured also
    > on many foreign portals.

    Google translated copy of chip.pl article:
    "SkyDrive unlimited capacity for photos and documents"
    http://translate.google.com/transla...-ograniczen-pojemnosci-dla-zdjec-i-dokumentow
    (short URL: http://tinyurl.com/3vet9o9)

    No reference to an actual Microsoft spokesperson or statement.

    > Here is one of example:
    > http://www.wpcentral.com/skydrive-get-unlimited-storage

    Blogs aren't worthy news sources. Notice this "news" article never
    lists a reference to statements by Microsoft reps. If this were a
    worthy news source with trusted journalists, why does the site hide
    behind a private registration at GoDaddy?

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20110049-75/windows-8-to-tap-heavily-into-windows-live/
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20106037-75/microsoft-touts-skydrive-integration-in-windows-8/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkkhfgnfpmY&feature=player_embedded (*)

    (*) Microsoft links to the Youtube video on their Explore Live site.
    The video author (windowslive) is an MS team.

    Microsoft is gearing up for integration of Skydrive with Windows 8 to
    store files in the cloud (so be prepared for intrusion, theft, data
    loss, and corruption). The mantra of cloud promoters is "you WILL join
    our grid".

    Also remember that unlimited is not the same as infinite by definitions
    established by service providers. Remember when dial-up and DSL ISPs
    claimed you would get unlimited bandwidth yet they cut/disconnected your
    service at around 4 hours. You could reconnect (it is automatic and
    very quick for DSL if your router has a keep-alive feature) but you did
    lose your current connections, so a huge download would get interrupted
    and you would lose it (unless you were using a download manager that
    supported resume AND the site also supported resume).

    Saying unlimited is just more marketing lies. Obviously storage cannot
    be infinite. More likely is there will be a cap on the max size of a
    document file and a max count of how many documents you can have but,
    yeah, the storage space is "unlimited" but you'll never be able to
    surpass some maximum consumption.

    They may indeed increase the quotas at SkyDrive but it looks the change
    is oriented to its incorporation with Windows 8 - which is not yet
    released, just beta.

    There's a finite mass to this planet and everything in, on, or around it
    so a finite amount of data that can stored using it. That you don't
    have infinite bandwidth means you will be limited as to how many bytes
    could be transferred over your entire lifetime. There will be a limit.
    It may get enlarged, especially since it is no longer a means of drawing
    customers into paid services but will also be implemented in Windows 8.

    Rather than rely of speculations through various rumor mills, wait until
    Microsoft makes an official statement. It's a "feature" of Windows 8 to
    be released around Fall 2012. Yes, Microsoft may make changes in their
    Live services, including Skydrive, before then but they also may make
    those changes so they are primarily available only to Windows 8 users
    (just like they used IE9 to lure users to newer versions of Windows).
    Tis sad that Microsoft thinks they have to battle Apple with the result
    of what Windows 8 looks like. Yuck.
    VanguardLH, Oct 12, 2011