Microsoft Security Hands-On labs now LIVE

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brett Roberts, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Microsoft has developed a series of four 90-minute labs that allow students
    to apply information and guidance to improve security in a network based on
    Microsoft Windows. These labs have been enormously successful at events such
    as TechEd US and TechEd Europe. The four modules are:

    Lab 1: Managing Security Updates
    Lab 2: Implementing Server Security
    Lab 3: Implementing Client Security for Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    Lab 4: Implementing Application Security

    Customers can now take these labs at home or in the office by registering at
    http://www.microsoftelearning.com/security/. The labs are conducted using
    real hardware in a safe online environment built on Microsoft Virtual Server
    technology.

    **Note that there is no cost to sign up for these labs **

    One other link which may be of interest is
    http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/events/security/default.mspx which details
    forthcoming security-related events and webcasts along with pre-recorded
    training materials and presentations

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Oct 11, 2004

  2. It seems like Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:15:04 +1300 was when "Brett Roberts"
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Customers can now take these labs at home or in the office by registering at
    >http://www.microsoftelearning.com/security/. The labs are conducted using
    >real hardware in a safe online environment built on Microsoft Virtual Server
    >technology.

    Interesting. Do you think this technology would replace real hardware
    tests for certification in general? For instance, I read in Linux
    Format that for a RHCE, it's all based around hardware, no multiple
    choice questions. However, I don't know enough about MCSE exams to
    comment.

    Good on Microsoft for doing free training, it's a positive step.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 11, 2004

  3. "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > It seems like Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:15:04 +1300 was when "Brett Roberts"
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>Customers can now take these labs at home or in the office by registering
    >>at
    >>http://www.microsoftelearning.com/security/. The labs are conducted using
    >>real hardware in a safe online environment built on Microsoft Virtual
    >>Server
    >>technology.

    > Interesting. Do you think this technology would replace real hardware
    > tests for certification in general? For instance, I read in Linux
    > Format that for a RHCE, it's all based around hardware, no multiple
    > choice questions. However, I don't know enough about MCSE exams to
    > comment.
    >
    > Good on Microsoft for doing free training, it's a positive step.
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Waylon Kenning.
    >
    > 1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    I'm not an expert in this area but I suspect that when it comes to training,
    it's likely that virtualisation will eventually remove the requirement for
    on-premises hardware. Obviously reliable bandwidth is a key prerequisite so
    there will be issues in some geographies but I'd hazard a guess and say that
    the days of IT training organisations needing to invest heavily in server
    hardware are numbered.
    Brett Roberts, Oct 11, 2004