Microsoft security flaws test loyal users' patience

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tech, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Tech

    Tech Guest

    By Suzanne Choney

    UNION-TRIBUNE July 19, 2004

    By the time you read this, I will have spent a portion of the weekend
    updating my home PC yet again to deal with Microsoft's security holes.
    Maybe you ended up doing the same thing, too.

    Last week, the company issued two "critical" updates mainly affecting those
    who use the Windows XP and Windows 2000 operating systems, plus five other
    updates rated as "important" or "moderate" in terms of system
    vulnerabilities.

    If you're as tired of this as I am, maybe you're considering switching to
    Mac or Linux. "Oh, don't go there," you say.

    I understand. Almost all the world's computer users are dependent on ?
    notice I didn't say "depend on" ? Windows.

    Maybe you don't consider switching a practical way to go. Maybe you don't
    care for Macs, and maybe you don't want to take the time to learn Linux.

    But ask yourself how much time you're spending to maintain a system that
    has more woes than wows, and whether it's worth it.

    At home, I use both Windows and Mac. But because of the recent problems
    involving holes in Internet Explorer, Microsoft's Web browser, for the
    immediate future, I have limited my Web surfing to the Mac.

    I alternate between Apple's Safari Web browser and Internet Explorer. (Mac
    and Linux users of IE are not affected by the current problem.)

    Also, I plan to spend some time looking at other Web browsers that will
    work with the PC, such as Mozilla or Opera.

    (For more information about how to switch browsers, see today's Q & A:
    Windows.)

    Are all these other options ? Mac, Linux, Mozilla, Opera ? bulletproof?
    They are not.

    Apple, for example, last month issued a security patch for its OS X
    operating system.

    It was an unusual occurrence; the Mac operating system, no matter what
    version,

    isn't as vulnerable to viruses and security flaws as Windows.

    Some say that's because of the system architecture.

    Others contend it's because those who write malicious software, or
    "malware," such as viruses and worms don't want to waste their precious
    time on a system used by only 2 percent to 3 percent of computer users.
    That's roughly Apple's share of the computer market.

    A few weeks ago, Mozilla announced that a security "vulnerability" had been
    discovered in its Firefox Web browser for Windows users, and issued a fix.
    (Again, as with IE, Mac and Linux users were not affected by the problem.)

    No system is bulletproof. But Windows, the one most of us use, is riddled
    with holes.

    Service packs

    The company's Windows XP Service Pack 2, a major group of fixes to XP that
    includes improved security features, has been behind schedule.

    It was due out in June; now it's slated to be released next month.

    Think of a service pack as a kind of ice pack for your computer's operating
    system, helping to make it feel better.

    Service packs contain all fixes, security updates, critical updates, and
    other updates created since the original version of a product was released.

    Windows XP Service Pack 1 came out in September 2002.

    Service packs are honking in size. Windows XP Service Pack 2 may require
    about 70 mega-bytes of space for XP Home edition and about 90 megabytes for
    XP Professional edition.

    When it becomes available, it can be downloaded from Microsoft, or sent to
    you on a CD for about $10.

    If you have Windows' Automatic Update feature and have been using it, you
    probably won't be stuck with a lot to download when Service Pack 2 is
    issued.

    Weariness

    Last week at a conference of Windows software and hardware companies,
    Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer reiterated the company's
    vow to make its software more secure.

    "We've made, I think, at least a year or more of progress on security in
    the last year; we're not perfect," Reuters quoted Ballmer as saying. "We're
    not where we need to be."

    In January 2002, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates issued a companywide memo
    calling on Microsoft to make its products "trustworthy."

    More than 2.5 years later, it's a good bet that consumers and businesses
    don't trust Microsoft any more now than then.

    If anything, a deeper sense of wariness and weariness has set in, along
    with a host of newer and more vicious worms, viruses and vulnerabilities
    than ever before.

    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/choney/20040719-9999-mz1b19choney.html

    --
    __

    Tech, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Tech

    D Guest

    say again

    D, Jul 20, 2004

  3. On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:36:54 GMT, Tech <> wrote:

    #
    #By Suzanne Choney
    #
    #UNION-TRIBUNE July 19, 2004
    #
    #
    # By the time you read this, I will have spent a portion of the
    #weekend updating my home PC yet again to deal with Microsoft's
    #security holes.

    Well I just moved house an hooked up my Suse9.1 box after 2 weeks off
    the net. Ran YAST and got a grand total of 31 updates. Not all
    critical I'm sure but it does include the 2nd kernel upgrade since I
    installed it 5 weeks ago.

    The Great Cornholio, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Tech

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Miss Hollywood Reporter, why can't you show one ounce of expertise in your
    bones on either MS or Linux and try to help someone? As of to date, has
    anyone seen anything else but the *Hollywood* posts. Is it possible in our
    life time that you can do anything else, but pour that cup of coffee and
    read and post news clips?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Tech

    Scraggy Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > Miss Hollywood Reporter, why can't you show one ounce of expertise in
    > your bones on either MS or Linux and try to help someone? As of to
    > date, has anyone seen anything else but the *Hollywood* posts. Is it
    > possible in our life time that you can do anything else, but pour
    > that cup of coffee and read and post news clips?
    >
    > Duane :)

    I think you are probably one of the few that have not binned the fool.

    --
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

    Scraggy, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Tech

    DC Guest

    Scraggy wrote:
    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> Miss Hollywood Reporter, why can't you show one ounce of expertise in
    >> your bones on either MS or Linux and try to help someone? As of to
    >> date, has anyone seen anything else but the *Hollywood* posts. Is it
    >> possible in our life time that you can do anything else, but pour
    >> that cup of coffee and read and post news clips?

    >> Duane :)

    > I think you are probably one of the few that have not binned the fool.

    Yes, and if he would stop encouraging him, he just might get bored and
    leave us all the hell alone.

    For Duane: wipe the smile off yer face and take a hint, why don'tcha?

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Tech

    Tech Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > Is it possible in our
    > life time that you can do anything else,
    >
    > Duane :)

    No.

    --
    __

    Tech, Jul 20, 2004
  8. Tech

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > For Duane: wipe the smile off yer face and take a hint, why don'tcha?

    What smile on my face is that?

    You mean that :) of greetings, don't worry be happy life is too short, and
    don't let it get you down behind -- Duane :)

    I suggest you drop dead about it. Do you get that?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 20, 2004
  9. Tech

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Tech <> wrote in news:ea019b9e639507f78aca4c832fec5197
    @news.1usenet.com:

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible in our
    >> life time that you can do anything else,
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > No.

    I didn't think so, because I don't think you can do anything else. That's
    just my take on the whole situation, *Hollywood*.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 20, 2004
  10. Tech

    DC Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    >> For Duane: wipe the smile off yer face and take a hint, why don'tcha?

    > I suggest you drop dead about it. Do you get that?

    You're just lack-toes intolerant. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Tech

    Duane Arnold Guest

    DC <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >>> For Duane: wipe the smile off yer face and take a hint, why

    don'tcha?

    >> I suggest you drop dead about it. Do you get that?

    > You're just lack-toes intolerant. }:O)

    That's why I drink the kind of milk that doesn't have it! It's $3.89 a
    half gallon. You should try some it may help you look at life a little
    differently, instead of that gas you must be carrying around that's got
    you all wound-up. <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 20, 2004
  12. DC wrote:

    > Duane Arnold wrote:

    >>> For Duane: wipe the smile off yer face and take a hint, why don'tcha?

    >> I suggest you drop dead about it. Do you get that?

    > You're just lack-toes intolerant. }:O)

    Hey, I lack toes. But I'm not intolerant.[1] :)

    [1]Well, I am, but only of idiots.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    New Pieces of Shakespeare Manuscript Found Near Salt Lake City USA
    Sorry - penguins only: http://snipurl.com/scolius (at blinkynet)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 20, 2004
  13. Tech

    Tech Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > Tech <> wrote in news:ea019b9e639507f78aca4c832fec5197
    > @news.1usenet.com:
    >
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible in our
    >>> life time that you can do anything else,
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> No.
    >>

    > I didn't think so, because I don't think you can do anything else. That's

    So, why even bother to ask? Quit wasting everyone's time.

    --
    __

    Tech, Jul 20, 2004
  14. Tech

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Tech <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> Tech <> wrote in news:ea019b9e639507f78aca4c832fec5197
    >> @news.1usenet.com:

    >>> No.
    >>>

    >> I didn't think so, because I don't think you can do anything else.
    >> That's

    > So, why even bother to ask? Quit wasting everyone's time.

    You got a lot of nerve a lot of nerve with the BS you're putting out. You
    couldn't Tech your way out of a TechNews sack. You should drop the Tech off
    and just go with *NO News* as your name.

    I wanted to see your response with the questions put forth which was
    *nothing*. Yeah, Tech and TechNews you go girl *Hollywood Reporter*.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 21, 2004
  15. Tech

    Tech Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > Tech <> wrote in
    >
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tech <> wrote in news:ea019b9e639507f78aca4c832fec5197
    >>> @news.1usenet.com:

    >>> I didn't think so, because I don't think you can do anything else.
    >>> That's

    >> So, why even bother to ask? Quit wasting everyone's time.
    >>

    > You got a lot of nerve a lot of nerve with the BS you're putting out.

    It's lamentable that you feel threatened by articles of a certain nature.

    > couldn't Tech your way out of a TechNews sack. You should drop the Tech
    > off and just go with *NO News* as your name.

    At first, my sole inclination was to post only news, however I got caught
    up in replying to some of the posts requesting technical help; so now Tech
    for short and inclusive of things other than news.

    ^
    |__________ One angry clown.

    --
    __

    Tech, Jul 21, 2004
  16. Tech

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Tech <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> Tech <> wrote in
    >>

    >> You got a lot of nerve a lot of nerve with the BS you're putting out.

    > It's lamentable that you feel threatened by articles of a certain
    > nature.

    How in the Hell is a post you're making threatening me you moron? If it
    was a threat to me, then $$$$ would be coming out of my pockets about it
    fool. I would consider the lost of my livelihood by something you're
    doing a threat. No, what I object too is you making the *Hollywood*
    posts, like you're all that and pretend that you know something, when the
    rest of the NG regulars that do know something see you post about
    nothing, knowing full well that you don't know anything. It's like you're
    some kind of dumb ass home user with an MVP that is non technical and you
    have discovered your wonder pill Linux and you're singing about it like
    some kind of a *clown*.

    >> couldn't Tech your way out of a TechNews sack. You should drop the
    >> Tech off and just go with *NO News* as your name.

    > At first, my sole inclination was to post only news, however I got
    > caught up in replying to some of the posts requesting technical help;
    > so now Tech for short and inclusive of things other than news.

    WTH are you taking about here Tech? I have followed your damn posts and
    all I have seen is the *Hollywood* posts praising Linux and when someone
    has had an issue where you thought you could slip in a Linux shot with
    some links, you did that. I have seen nothing with any technical
    expertise assistance you have given. The one attempt you did try for
    concerning a technical shot was *worthless*. I don't know WTH you think
    you're talking about with some thing technical you have done.

    >> I wanted to see your response with the questions put forth which was
    >> *nothing*. Yeah, Tech and TechNews you go girl *Hollywood Reporter*.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > ^
    > |__________ One angry clown.

    You can draw the graphics dear as it's just another *Hollywood* move on
    your part as usual.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 21, 2004