    pacca Guest

    Any body using MS security essentials? Why so many updates is it necessary
    to down load that many, using a lot of disk space!
    pacca, Jul 30, 2010

  2. pacca

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, pacca.

    Yes! MSE is doing a fine job for me and has ever since it first appeared
    last year.

    I have Windows Update set to download the updates and ask me when to install
    them. Then I set MSE to check for the latest definitions before running its
    weekly scan.

    Each downloaded Definition Update apparently overwrites the previous one, so
    they do not continuously gobble up more disk space. At least, my entire
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials folder tree uses only 17 MB
    (not GB) of space after several months of continually-updated use. For
    today's large hard drives, that is not much space.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Jul 30, 2010

  3. To add to R.C.'s comments, it is usual for any antivirus to update at
    least once a day because of the number of new or altered virus released
    into the wild everyday.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 30, 2010
  4. pacca

    mikeyhsd Guest

    once a day is not too many.
    some do more than that.

    be glad it is keeping up with the nasties in the wild.

    mikeyshd

    mikeyhsd, Jul 30, 2010
  5. Agreed with all. I really like MSE. It's the lowest impact AV I've used, and
    seems to be doing its job. Unfortunately, it's not available for XP x64, but
    is for Vista and Win7 64-bit versions.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jul 31, 2010
  6. pacca

    Zaidy036 Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Agreed with all. I really like MSE. It's the lowest impact AV I've used, and
    > seems to be doing its job. Unfortunately, it's not available for XP x64, but
    > is for Vista and Win7 64-bit versions.

    I suggest you look at Immunet http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html

    It was recommended in "Windows Secrets" and has both free and paid versions
    which work along side other AVs without conflict.

    I am using it with MSE on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
    Zaidy036, Jul 31, 2010
  7. pacca

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "Charlie Russel-MVP"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >Agreed with all. I really like MSE. It's the lowest impact AV I've used, and
    >seems to be doing its job.

    Agreed. It's the first I haven't removed with disgust, which is about
    the highest praise I can offer in the AV community these days.

    Anyone looked at Forefront client? Is it the same basic engine as MSE
    just with management capabilities?
    Dave Warren, Jul 31, 2010