    install. One of the viruses was called "sirefef.ab" Im not sure how MSE
    didnt catch these or even able to clear it out of my system. Any one here
    have any thoughts on this AV program?

    Edwin T, Sep 3, 2012

  2. Edwin T

    Edwin T Guest

    On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 21:55:14 -0400, Edwin T wrote:

    > Guys...does Microsoft Security Essentials suck as a virus scanner? The
    > reason I ask is that in the last 6 months ive been hit by 2 malware
    > trojans. Both times Ive had to do format the hard drive and do a full
    > install. One of the viruses was called "sirefef.ab" Im not sure how MSE
    > didnt catch these or even able to clear it out of my system. Any one here
    > have any thoughts on this AV program?

    Ok..got rid of MSE and installed Avast AV (free). Hopefully one day MSE can
    update or make a better product.(lol..microsoft?) However, what can one
    expect from something thats free?

    Edwin T, Sep 3, 2012

  3. Edwin T

    Paul Guest

    Edwin T wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 21:55:14 -0400, Edwin T wrote:
    >
    >> Guys...does Microsoft Security Essentials suck as a virus scanner? The
    >> reason I ask is that in the last 6 months ive been hit by 2 malware
    >> trojans. Both times Ive had to do format the hard drive and do a full
    >> install. One of the viruses was called "sirefef.ab" Im not sure how MSE
    >> didnt catch these or even able to clear it out of my system. Any one here
    >> have any thoughts on this AV program?

    > Ok..got rid of MSE and installed Avast AV (free). Hopefully one day MSE can
    > update or make a better product.(lol..microsoft?) However, what can one
    > expect from something thats free?

    There are a couple sites, that specialize in testing AV applications.
    AV-comparatives comes to mind. But I think there was one other site
    someone mentioned the other day.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV-Comparatives

    Those review sites will tell you what percentage of malware is
    detected. There are two kinds of detection to consider. Detection
    by signature (known malware). Detection by heuristic (malware
    tried to attack system, AV senses attack and stops it, based
    on what the malware is attempting to do). No product rates a 100% rating.
    But some are pretty bad (in the sense that, if you surf infested sites,
    your computer is not going to stay malware free for very long). And if you
    find the review documents, you can figure out, just how bad, and what
    product you might want to buy.

    If you look at those reports, you'll see that the commercial companies
    vary a lot, in the kinds of products they sell. Microsoft is just
    "in the pack", in terms of skills. I don't think it's particularly
    the price of the product that matters here - even the commercial
    companies vary a lot in terms of skills, so it could be a function
    of how good the people working there are.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 3, 2012
  4. "Edwin T" <> wrote in message
    > Guys...does Microsoft Security Essentials suck as a virus scanner? The
    > reason I ask is that in the last 6 months ive been hit by 2 malware
    > trojans. Both times Ive had to do format the hard drive and do a full
    > install. One of the viruses was called "sirefef.ab" Im not sure how MSE
    > didnt catch these or even able to clear it out of my system. Any one here
    > have any thoughts on this AV program?

    MSE works very well for virii that you do not actively install. Of course,
    this assumes you do not turn MSE off.

    When you get a message WE ARE GOING TO CHECK YOUR SYSTEM FOR ANNOYING
    THINGS, do not click OK because the checker of annoying things will
    install -- wait for it -- annoying things.

    NEVER EVER allow something that volunteers to do stuff do the stuff it
    volunteers to do.

    One thing that a virus does VERY WELL is it protects itself from stuff like
    MSE. If you get a virus, it will prevent MSE from even starting, and it can
    prevent Websites that offer other virus detection applications from opening.
    You might be able to open Yahoo.com, but Microsoft.com will fail to open. Of
    course, Avast.com and Norton and McAffee might all fail to open also.

    I've been using MSE since they first put it out, and it has worked for me
    perfectly. The only times it has not worked is when people -- other machines
    that I put it on -- turn it off OR they allow random offers to find annoying
    stuff to install annoying stuff.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 3, 2012
  5. "Edwin T" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 21:55:14 -0400, Edwin T wrote:
    >
    >> Guys...does Microsoft Security Essentials suck as a virus scanner? The
    >> reason I ask is that in the last 6 months ive been hit by 2 malware
    >> trojans. Both times Ive had to do format the hard drive and do a full
    >> install. One of the viruses was called "sirefef.ab" Im not sure how MSE
    >> didnt catch these or even able to clear it out of my system. Any one here
    >> have any thoughts on this AV program?

    > Ok..got rid of MSE and installed Avast AV (free). Hopefully one day MSE
    > can
    > update or make a better product.(lol..microsoft?) However, what can one
    > expect from something thats free?

    Avast is free, what can you expect from it?

    MSE is way better than Avast.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 3, 2012
  6. Edwin T

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "Edwin T" <> wrote in message
    >> Guys...does Microsoft Security Essentials suck as a virus scanner? The
    >> reason I ask is that in the last 6 months ive been hit by 2 malware
    >> trojans. Both times Ive had to do format the hard drive and do a full
    >> install. One of the viruses was called "sirefef.ab" Im not sure how MSE
    >> didnt catch these or even able to clear it out of my system. Any one here
    >> have any thoughts on this AV program?

    > MSE works very well for virii that you do not actively install. Of course,
    > this assumes you do not turn MSE off.
    >
    > When you get a message WE ARE GOING TO CHECK YOUR SYSTEM FOR ANNOYING
    > THINGS, do not click OK because the checker of annoying things will
    > install -- wait for it -- annoying things.
    >
    > NEVER EVER allow something that volunteers to do stuff do the stuff it
    > volunteers to do.
    >
    > One thing that a virus does VERY WELL is it protects itself from stuff
    > like MSE. If you get a virus, it will prevent MSE from even starting, and
    > it can prevent Websites that offer other virus detection applications from
    > opening. You might be able to open Yahoo.com, but Microsoft.com will fail
    > to open. Of course, Avast.com and Norton and McAffee might all fail to
    > open also.
    >
    > I've been using MSE since they first put it out, and it has worked for me
    > perfectly. The only times it has not worked is when people -- other
    > machines that I put it on -- turn it off OR they allow random offers to
    > find annoying stuff to install annoying stuff.

    Jeff,
    You seem to have just contradicted yourself:
    "> One thing that a virus does VERY WELL is it protects itself from stuff
    like
    > MSE.

    Then
    > I've been using MSE since they first put it out, and it has worked for me
    > perfectly. "

    Reason I'm asking is I've used AVG and Avast Free version and just recently
    removed them. PC was bogging down while online while the Avast globe whirled
    in systray. I installed MSE just to see if any better integration with IE8
    and still 'hangs' when loading a complex page ( like Yahoo.com - full of ...
    crap). If I use Firefox or Chrome, then Yahoo.com loads fine with any AV
    program. So I was gonna go back to Avast or AVG. MSE nags every week that I
    have not done a full scan. I've got 280gb and 168GB drives but C partition
    is only 30gb. MSE doesn't have a very tweakable interface.

    Of all of these AV prgs, NAV is the only one I've found that has had a
    choice of " Shutdown system when scan is completed" . At least with that I
    used to be able to run full scan and just leave the house - rather than
    having system on until I come home.

    - Bobb -, Sep 3, 2012
  7. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Edwin T" <> wrote in message
    >>> Guys...does Microsoft Security Essentials suck as a virus scanner? The
    >>> reason I ask is that in the last 6 months ive been hit by 2 malware
    >>> trojans. Both times Ive had to do format the hard drive and do a full
    >>> install. One of the viruses was called "sirefef.ab" Im not sure how MSE
    >>> didnt catch these or even able to clear it out of my system. Any one
    >>> here
    >>> have any thoughts on this AV program?

    >> MSE works very well for virii that you do not actively install. Of
    >> course, this assumes you do not turn MSE off.
    >>
    >> When you get a message WE ARE GOING TO CHECK YOUR SYSTEM FOR ANNOYING
    >> THINGS, do not click OK because the checker of annoying things will
    >> install -- wait for it -- annoying things.
    >>
    >> NEVER EVER allow something that volunteers to do stuff do the stuff it
    >> volunteers to do.
    >>
    >> One thing that a virus does VERY WELL is it protects itself from stuff
    >> like MSE. If you get a virus, it will prevent MSE from even starting, and
    >> it can prevent Websites that offer other virus detection applications
    >> from opening. You might be able to open Yahoo.com, but Microsoft.com will
    >> fail to open. Of course, Avast.com and Norton and McAffee might all fail
    >> to open also.
    >>
    >> I've been using MSE since they first put it out, and it has worked for me
    >> perfectly. The only times it has not worked is when people -- other
    >> machines that I put it on -- turn it off OR they allow random offers to
    >> find annoying stuff to install annoying stuff.
    >>

    > Jeff,
    > You seem to have just contradicted yourself:
    > "> One thing that a virus does VERY WELL is it protects itself from stuff
    > like
    >> MSE.

    > Then
    >> I've been using MSE since they first put it out, and it has worked for me
    >> perfectly. "

    When you click ACCEPT or OK or some other form or affirmation, then you are
    inviting stuff to invade your machine that ANY antivirus program is likely
    to ignore. Back in the olden days it was required that you disable the AV
    program to install a new EXE file because the action of installing something
    was by definition an invasion. The problem was that people complained that
    things they wanted to install were installed incorrectly or not at all
    because of the work that the AV program is designed to do. So, they taught
    AV to allow most installations and only seek out virii that is embedded in a
    file of some type.

    Now, you want to install Google Chrome (for example), and are asked to
    accept a crap-load of Toolbar Add Ons and other stuff that is supposed to
    make your life better. You become accustomed to clicking OK, then OK again
    for the license agreement, then ACCEPT again and again. You stop reading the
    dialog boxes, and click the affirmatives that keep popping up. Life goes
    on...

    Before long, you visit a page that you intend to go to and there is a dialog
    that pops up, WE DETECT AN ANNOYING PRESENCE, DO YOU WANT US TO CLEAN IT FOR
    YOU? You react as if your AV program is telling you this, but it isn't. The
    page has code built into the middle of it that makes the dialog pop up, and
    when you click OK, then you just gave permission for the AV to take a break
    while a new EXE is installed. Buried in the EXE is the virus you hope to
    avoid. Basically, the dialog that offers to save you from an annoyance is
    itself asking permission to install the annoyance you want the AV to avoid.
    There is no AV program that can detect against this. Well, a good AV can
    protect against a poorly written execution of this, but what self-respecting
    virus writer does a poor job of writing a virus?

    So, when you visit a page that is viurally enhanced, your AV program will
    catch it -- in my case this is MSE. But when you visit a page with a simple
    pop up that encourages you to click YES (or a variation of yes), then you
    are asking for trouble when you click.

    Always click NO unless you specifically took action that resulted in the
    question of clicking Yes or No. If you did not specifically do something
    that causes the equivelent of ARE YOU SURE, then click no. If you were the
    safety minded person you make yourself out to be, you would stop everything
    and invoke which ever AV program you have running and have it do a Quick
    Scan.

    > Reason I'm asking is I've used AVG and Avast Free version and just
    > recently removed them. PC was bogging down while online while the Avast
    > globe whirled in systray. I installed MSE just to see if any better
    > integration with IE8 and still 'hangs' when loading a complex page ( like
    > Yahoo.com - full of ... crap). If I use Firefox or Chrome, then Yahoo.com
    > loads fine with any AV program. So I was gonna go back to Avast or AVG.
    > MSE nags every week that I have not done a full scan. I've got 280gb and
    > 168GB drives but C partition is only 30gb. MSE doesn't have a very
    > tweakable interface.

    You can set MSE to scan whichever partition you want on any schedule you
    want. All you have to do is leave the machine running overnight, and set teh
    scan to run while you sleep. Any AV program will demand the machine be on,
    and if the scan is taking place while you are working, then of course the
    machine will slow down.

    I don't even know MSE is running most of the time

    > Of all of these AV prgs, NAV is the only one I've found that has had a
    > choice of " Shutdown system when scan is completed" . At least with that
    > I used to be able to run full scan and just leave the house - rather than
    > having system on until I come home.

    What's wrong with setting your Sleep Settings in the Display Properties
    (right click on the Desktop and choose Properties, then Screen Saver) so
    that the display goes dark after 10 minutes <whatever>, then 10 minutes
    later set the HDD to go off? Then you can walk away at any time, and when
    the scheduled scan time comes around then the machine will wake up and scan
    itself and then go back to sleep until you come around and want to do
    something.

    Your issue isn't with MSE, it's with IE. IE is a pig.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 4, 2012