Microsoft response over Hotmail problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JWBH, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. JWBH

    JWBH Guest

    I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help people
    who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have received no response
    from them, in terms of feedback.

    I have had exactly this same problem with hotmail many times before, and
    before have asked them for some feedback on what is wrong. If for no other
    reason because when you notify them with a problem you first get routed to
    someone who invariably tells you to how to use the spam filter, or just
    reconfigure OE.

    you then have to tediously explain it all again before they then give you
    another address to write to and then you have to wait a day or two to get a
    response.

    Its no big deal, but when you have been through the same thing so many times
    before and continue to get no managerial response from them its very tiring.

    a copy of the last letter to the managers which i have copied below explains
    the problem i am having with the Hotmail account accessing it via Outlook
    Express.

    would anyone be able to suggest a course of action to resolve this issue
    once and for all please.

    thanks for any advice.

    Dear Sirs

    My Hotmail account now wants to download '796' (not some 200 odd as before)
    emails when i do a 'send and receive' in outlook express6 (i have windows
    XP ).

    I have not been able to communicate exactly what this problem is to your
    department very well. These are not possibly *all* spam (a few might be)[ as
    you colleague seems to suggests below with his response]. since i open and
    use this account every day, even if i got the maximum usual spam that would
    only account for about 4 or 5 items coming in, not the current 796.

    at the moment i have unchecked the box; 'include this account when receiving
    mail' in accounts in OE. because it slows up the computer.

    if you require me to check this box to include the account when receiving
    mail i can do so, if you require it done for any test purposes.

    i have had this trouble some times before and it was 'seemingly' fixed by
    someone at microsoft, since after a couple of days it ceased the massive
    erroneous download of emails. although i do not know what they did. if you
    can help with this problem again and perhaps you would let me know what you
    do. So if this happens again (it has happened four times in the past) i can
    inform any of your colleagues what the problem has been before, which may
    help them to pin point it straight away.

    many thanks for any assistance you are able to give with this problem.

    JWBH, Nov 4, 2006

  2. If you used a program such as MailWasher Pro, you would be able to "see"
    what these messages are <*before*> downloading them. Being that the majority
    of them are likely S.P.A.M., you can set up filters to automatically delete
    the S.P.A.M. messages before you download the valid messages.

    Believe me - this program works. My brother was being plagued with huge
    downloads from a friend (jokes, images, music etc.) while he was on dialup.
    It would lock up his internet connection for hours when he retrieved his
    mail through Outlook Express. Using MailWasher, he was able to delete the
    crap directly from the ISP's mail server. None of it was downloaded to his
    computer when he retrieved his mail.

    Give it a try! www.firetrust.com

    --

    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from George Ankner:

    Richard Urban, Nov 4, 2006

  3. JWBH

    Zygy Guest

    I entirely agree with you! MailWasherPro works very well. You are presented
    with all the emails and have the facility of marking them as Friends or
    Blacklist them for ever after. In addition you can mark them for deletion
    and so they will not be transferred to OE.

    I was troubled with SPAM emails in the past and found MailWasher of real
    help in dealing with the problem, which I do not have now, since changing my
    ISP.

    I found that filters sometimes filter emails, which you do not want them to
    filter! You do not have this problem with MailWasher. You make the choice!
    See:- www.mailwasher.com

    Zygy, Nov 4, 2006
  4. "JWBH" <> n00bie skribbled in

    > I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help
    > people who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have
    > received no response from them, in terms of feedback.
    >
    > I have had exactly this same problem with hotmail many times
    > before, and before have asked them for some feedback on what is
    > wrong. If for no other reason because when you notify them with a
    > problem you first get routed to someone who invariably tells you
    > to how to use the spam filter, or just reconfigure OE.

    And after they so patiently listened to that much, and generously
    suggested what you have presented above, *exactly* *why* did you
    *not* reconfig your OE, and either use OE filters or at least get a
    free trial on a 3rd party filter and try it out?

    > you then have to tediously explain it all again before they then
    > give you another address to write to and then you have to wait a
    > day or two to get a response.
    >
    > Its no big deal, but when you have been through the same thing so
    > many times before and continue to get no managerial response from
    > them its very tiring.

    Having some humble field of experience with consulting on technical
    and/or psychological matters, I'll share this standard operating
    principle with you: when someone asking for help comes back "again",
    I summarily have a look at what they said that last time, and what
    they're saying they did about it - this time... Suggesting the
    likely solution, and *not* receiving any evidence of any credible
    and/or *responsive* *pro-active* attempts to address the previous
    suggestion - *to* *them* it's very tiring - but then there's always
    the next case [in the continuum], who likely *wants* to solve their
    problem(s).

    > a copy of the last letter to the managers which i have copied
    > below explains the problem i am having with the Hotmail account
    > accessing it via Outlook Express.
    >
    > would anyone be able to suggest a course of action to resolve this
    > issue once and for all please.
    >
    > thanks for any advice.

    Seems you were handed "Get an e-Mail filter, learn it, use it."

    "...advice?" A wise man never gives it and a fool never takes it...

    > Dear Sirs
    >
    > My Hotmail account now wants to download '796' (not some 200 odd
    > as before) emails when i do a 'send and receive' in outlook
    > express6 (i have windows XP ).
    >
    > I have not been able to communicate exactly what this problem is
    > to your department very well. These are not possibly *all* spam (a
    > few might be)[ as you colleague seems to suggests below with his
    > response]. since i open and use this account every day, even if i
    > got the maximum usual spam that would only account for about 4 or
    > 5 items coming in, not the current 796.
    >
    > at the moment i have unchecked the box; 'include this account when
    > receiving mail' in accounts in OE. because it slows up the
    > computer.
    >
    > if you require me to check this box to include the account when
    > receiving mail i can do so, if you require it done for any test
    > purposes.
    >
    > i have had this trouble some times before and it was 'seemingly'
    > fixed by someone at microsoft, since after a couple of days it
    > ceased the massive erroneous download of emails. although i do not
    > know what they did. if you can help with this problem again and
    > perhaps you would let me know what you do. So if this happens
    > again (it has happened four times in the past) i can inform any of
    > your colleagues what the problem has been before, which may help
    > them to pin point it straight away.
    >
    > many thanks for any assistance you are able to give with this
    > problem.

    So, ma'am, you're saying that your software is broken and you want
    someone [to wit, Microsoft...] to *fix* it?

    Anyway, it sounds like you have "speed-reading" deficiency, to me.
    Possibly deslexia. Does *Hello!* look like *O Hell* to you?

    Here's your solution: Get off the illegal drugs. Put down the anti-
    Microsoft picket-sign. [It's rather like picketing the pre-school
    because it's *their* fault that you didn't learn to tie your shoes.]
    Get professional help as needed. Eat regular balanced meals. Use a
    fiber-supplement as needed to stay regular. Perhaps get a free copy
    of "Professor Teaches You to Tie Your Shoes" from that 800 number on
    TV. And get an e-Mail filter. Then you need to *use* the e-Mail
    filter. It's a process, not a pill.

    Best regards.

    --

    When I think back on all the blessings
    which have been dispensed in my lifetime:

    .... unless you count that rattlesnake
    who granted me all those wishes.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 4, 2006
  5. JWBH

    Thip Guest

    "JWBH" <> wrote in message

    > I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help people
    > who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have received no
    > response from them, in terms of feedback.

    Have you tried accessing your Hotmail through the Web interface so you can
    see what's going on?

    Thip, Nov 4, 2006
  6. JWBH

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Zygy.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > I entirely agree with you! MailWasherPro works very well. You are presented
    > with all the emails and have the facility of marking them as Friends or
    > Blacklist them for ever after. In addition you can mark them for deletion
    > and so they will not be transferred to OE.

    If you can get Mailwasher to work with Hotmail then I'm sure there are a
    lot of people out there who would like to know how you did it ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Nov 4, 2006
  7. > Hiya Zygy.

    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> I entirely agree with you! MailWasherPro works very well. You are
    >> presented with all the emails and have the facility of marking
    >> them as Friends or Blacklist them for ever after. In addition you
    >> can mark them for deletion and so they will not be transferred to
    >> OE.

    Ponder <> loquaciously articulated in

    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    --

    !!! WARNING !!! Beware of these creatures which have been
    introduced into our population by the alien invasion's preliminary

    http://tinyurl.com/ynd4y6

    Use great caution when encountering and evading these creatures.
    "Got milk?" has become a dangerous question. !!! END WARNING !!!

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 4, 2006
  8. JWBH

    thanatoid Guest

    "Richard Urban" <> wrote in

    > If you used a program such as MailWasher Pro, you would be
    > able to "see" what these messages are <*before*>
    > downloading them. Being that the majority of them are
    > likely S.P.A.M., you can set up filters to automatically
    > delete the S.P.A.M. messages before you download the valid
    > messages.

    Hello,

    Since you are the first person I have ever seen that writes SPAM
    with periods, this implies you MIGHT know what it actually
    stands for. I never bought the "can of spam emptied in front of
    an industrial fan" explanation, and I still don't. In fact, I
    have an idea or two of what it could really be an acronym for,
    but I wonder of you'd care to comment?

    Thank you
    t.

    thanatoid, Nov 4, 2006
  9. thanatoid wrote:
    > "Richard Urban" <> wrote in
    >
    >> If you used a program such as MailWasher Pro, you would be
    >> able to "see" what these messages are <*before*>
    >> downloading them. Being that the majority of them are
    >> likely S.P.A.M., you can set up filters to automatically
    >> delete the S.P.A.M. messages before you download the valid
    >> messages.

    > Hello,
    >
    > Since you are the first person I have ever seen that writes SPAM
    > with periods, this implies you MIGHT know what it actually
    > stands for. I never bought the "can of spam emptied in front of
    > an industrial fan" explanation, and I still don't. In fact, I
    > have an idea or two of what it could really be an acronym for,
    > but I wonder of you'd care to comment?

    It's not an acronym for anything. The word comes from the Mony Python
    skit/song "Spam." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(Monty_Python)

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Nov 4, 2006
  10. JWBH

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Bucky Breeder.

    In <news:Xns98716B2D99582WiZEERD@216.151.153.13> you wrote:

    >> If you can get Mailwasher to work with Hotmail then I'm sure
    >> there are a lot of people out there who would like to know
    >> how you did it ;)

    > http://www.mailwasher.net/

    So I'll ask again, how do you get Mailwasher to check Hotmail?

    Mailwasher Pro is not Mailwasher, there's a big difference... like about
    $37 worth of difference!

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Nov 4, 2006
  11. I just used periods to accent the word. SPAM, spam, Spam - all the same
    thing!

    Richard Urban, Nov 4, 2006
  12. >> Ponder propounded:

    > So I'll ask again, how do you get Mailwasher to check Hotmail?
    >
    > Mailwasher Pro is not Mailwasher, there's a big difference...
    > like about > $37 worth of difference!

    Ahh, *now*, I get it...

    <lightly slaps forehead with heel of Rt. hand palm>

    You meant how to get MailWasher to check the Hotmails without
    upgrading it to Mailwasher Pro. I musta fell for that one. (o;

    Hmmm. There's a saying up here on Mt. Olympus, "If you gotta ask,
    then you cain't afford it; but, if you really want it, you'll find a
    way to afford it." There may be some free ones out there, but don't
    know if they do the Hotmail and the Yahoo - and that's where most of
    us get 'throw away' acounts -- because of the SPAM.

    When you divide the up-front-cost by the time or the number of e-
    Mails it saves you from reading and sorting and culling, it's pretty
    cheep, but we don't pay no EURO tax up in these here parts - not
    since the Revolution, anyways. (o;

    Sort of OT: I wonder if girls get overwhelmed with advertisements to
    increase the size of their vaginas?

    Best regards.

    --

    Our advanced civilization tends to scoff
    at the beliefs of the ancients.

    But we can not scoff at them personally,
    right up in their faces;
    and, this is what really annoys me.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 4, 2006
  13. JWBH

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Bucky Breeder.

    In <news:Xns9871A84F52518WiZEERD@216.151.153.21> you wrote:

    > Hmmm. There's a saying up here on Mt. Olympus, "If you gotta ask,
    > then you cain't afford it; but, if you really want it, you'll find a
    > way to afford it." There may be some free ones out there, but don't
    > know if they do the Hotmail and the Yahoo - and that's where most of
    > us get 'throw away' acounts -- because of the SPAM.

    I dropped both my Hotmail accounts ages ago anyway, and all my mail gets
    passed through (free) spamassassin and (free) clamav on my (free) mail
    server - exim4 under my (free) Linux server ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Nov 4, 2006
  14. JWBH

    Uncle Grumpy Guest

    > My Hotmail account now wants to download '796' (not some 200 odd as
    > before) emails when i do a 'send and receive' in outlook express6 (i have
    > windows XP ).

    It's time to setup a NEW hotmail account and delete the one with
    problems.

    Uncle Grumpy, Nov 5, 2006
  15. JWBH

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Thip wrote:
    > "JWBH" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help people
    >> who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have received no
    >> response from them, in terms of feedback.
    >>

    > Have you tried accessing your Hotmail through the Web interface so you can
    > see what's going on?

    The first sensible suggestion in the thread!

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 5, 2006
  16. Ponder <> wrote

    > Hiya Zygy.

    > You wrote:
    >> I entirely agree with you! MailWasherPro works very well. You are
    >> presented with all the emails and have the facility of marking them
    >> as Friends or Blacklist them for ever after. In addition you can mark
    >> them for deletion and so they will not be transferred to OE.

    > If you can get Mailwasher to work with Hotmail then I'm sure there
    > are a lot of people out there who would like to know how you did it ;)

    I use Mailwasher 2.0.28 which checks my Hotmail account, which I've had
    since 1998. If anyone would like for me to upload it to Dropload or
    some other Usenet binary group, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

    It works with WinXP Pro SP2 and I don't have any problems. It may not
    want to poll the messages on Hotmail's server, if there are not any
    messages....which is not really a problem for me.

    @}-}-------Rosee, Nov 5, 2006
  17. JWBH

    thanatoid Guest

    "Ken Blake, MVP" <> wrote in

    > It's not an acronym for anything. The word comes from the
    > Mony Python skit/song "Spam." See
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(Monty_Python)

    OK, is it just an accident that is happens to be an acronym for
    Severely Propagated Advertising Mail?

    thanatoid, Nov 5, 2006

    thanatoid wrote:
    > OK, is it just an accident that is happens to be an acronym for
    > Severely Propagated Advertising Mail?

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=SPAM&p=dict

    It could be an acronym for anything. It isn't, really - not officially or
    agreed upon world-wide.
    It was originally a shortened version of "SPiced hAM" <- beyond that....

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Nov 5, 2006
  19. JWBH

    gangle Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" wrote

    <snip>

    > Sort of OT: I wonder if girls get overwhelmed with
    > advertisements to
    > increase the size of their vaginas?

    Why would vaginas be OT?

    gangle, Nov 5, 2006
  20. JWBH

    gangle Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote

    <some shit snipped>

    > I use Mailwasher 2.0.28 which checks my Hotmail account,
    > which I've had since 1998. If anyone would like for me to
    > upload it to Dropload or some other Usenet binary group,
    > I wouldn't have a problem with that.

    Warning: It's another one of her cyber-traps set up to grab some
    hapless goomer's genitals to add to her abominable collection.
    (The fact that Hotmail users deserve to lose their genitals
    is weirdly coincidental.)

    > It works with WinXP Pro SP2 and I don't have any problems.

    No matter what OS you use, you will have numerous horrible
    problems, you hideously hirsute, heinous hag from Hell.

    > It may not want to poll the messages on Hotmail's server,
    > if there are not any
    > messages....which is not really a problem for me.

    --
    I don't need no stinkin' badges

    gangle, Nov 5, 2006