    1) His job, like Brett’s, is to put a more positive spin on Microsoft’s
    implacable hostility to Open Source, or
    2) He’s deluding himself.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 14, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 15, 5:08 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > > Yeah, right. Who was it who said “Linux is a cancer”? Who claims that
    > > Linux
    > > violates 235 of its patents? Who sued TomTom, and is going after other
    > > companies trying to offer Linux-based products as well?

    > Who exactly? References, please?  Or ...don't tell me you're just making
    > this stuff up! Really!?!

    A couple of posts ago, you were so proud of your ability to use google
    to look up stuff. Have you forgotten how? Don't worry, it's ok.

    Because you are so nice and you genuinely want to know, I'll give you
    a helpful reminder of how to search for things on your favourite new
    search engine:

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Linux is a cancer

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Linux 235 patents

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=suing tomtom

    If you look closely through the results, you might pick up some hints
    of who that nasty Lawrence was talking about. If I didn't know any
    better, I might think he was alluding to MS saying and doing those
    things.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 15, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:20:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > [Mark Rees:] I think the conflict between Microsoft and the open
    > source community is exaggerated.

    Indeed - exaggerated towards the lesser end. The reality is that Micro$oft is utterly opposed to, and
    shit-scared of, Free Open Source software - because it is a direct challenge to its keep-them-in-the-
    dark-and-feed-them-excrement business model.

    Sweetpea, Mar 15, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:20:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/microsofts-new-tech-officer-to-challenge-perceptions>
    >
    > There are only two conclusions to draw: either
    >
    > 1) His job, like Brett’s, is to put a more positive spin on Microsoft’s
    > implacable hostility to Open Source, or 2) He’s deluding himself.

    The following is my personal interpretation on what Mark Rees's answers to the Computerworld
    interview conducted by rob O'Neill:

    > You replace Brett Roberts who was a well-known character in New Zealand ICT. How will your
    > approach differ from his?
    >
    > I think Brett did a great job and I enjoyed working with him. The key difference between our
    > approaches is that I am based in Wellington and it is easier for me to engage with government, to
    > participate in the various forums and interact with decision makers.

    TRANSLATION: Brett was too soft on the Government and was not prepared to relocate to Wellington
    in order to put the thumb-screws on the various pointy-haired bosses in Government. I'm prepared to do
    anything to screw the Government out of more and more cash.

    > What are your priorities and goals for the new position and how are these different from in the past?
    >
    > One of the central goals of my position will be challenging some of the longstanding perceptions of
    > Microsoft. A lot of these are more based on the Microsoft of 1997, than the Microsoft of 2010. The
    > company and its approach have changed a lot in that 13-year period.
    >
    > Our investment in standards and interoperability is a great example of this. Some people still equate
    > Microsoft with “lock inâ€, but our products now support a long and diverse range of standards. This
    > includes the SAML 2.0 protocol used by the iGovt services and support for most browsers in
    > SharePoint 2010.

    TRANSLATION: I've been tasked with pulling the wool over the Government's eyes. I've got to make
    them think that we have their best interests at heart. In reality we've only ever done truly open
    standards when we've not had any choice, and we're actually doing our utmost best to kill the Open
    Document format and standards compliant HTML and style sheets. But as the number of people who
    support fully open standards is increasing dramatically we need to change tactics. So we'll again
    embrace open standards - for now.

    > How broad is your brief — does it include other groups such as developers, the health sector and so
    > forth and in what ways?
    >
    > My job is to be the interface between Microsoft’s product and research teams and the government
    > and our key customers. I am responsible for providing feedback from the New Zealand market, and
    > working to make sure that New Zealand benefits from our products and services. It is a broad brief
    > and one of the things that attracted me to the job.

    I've gotta find out what our customers are planning to do with Open Source solutions and then quickly
    get our developers to "innovate" a comparable solution and then schmooze the government into paying
    money to us when they really could get out of the Open Source solutions that are already available.

    > What’s top of mind on your to-do list?
    >
    > The cloud; there is so much innovation and excitement around the cloud and the efficiencies and
    > opportunities it can provide. I think this is especially relevant to New Zealand at a time when the
    > government has a strong interest in shared services. I will be working to make sure that New Zealand
    > can benefit from Microsoft’s investment in the cloud.

    Developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers...

    Balmer is pushing this and I really don't have much of a choice but to push it - especially given that I've
    been tasked with stopping the Government from using any form of Open Source solution that moves
    them away from being locked in to using MS Windows.

    > Why was Microsoft so keen to have its National Technology Officer based in Wellington?
    >
    > The government is one Microsoft’s key customers and we believe there is a lot potential for Microsoft
    > to have positive impact on the way the government manages and delivers services. It’s easier to do
    > that with a local role, where I can meet with our key stakeholders on a day-to-day basis, even if it’s
    > just popping out for a coffee.

    TRANSLATION: In the past the Government did not question our charges, but now they're questioning
    everything and we're finding it difficult to present financially credible responses. In recent times the
    Government has been moving towards all manner of open standards and open sources software
    solutions and as a result the sales target that I'm needing to meet is looking very difficult. I need to be
    based in Wellington in order to use face-to-face sales tactics.

    > What are relations like with government and government agencies since the failure of the G2009
    > negotiations?
    >
    > We have a strong relationship with the government. This is not something we take for granted and
    > I will be focused on making sure that Microsoft is contributing to the government’s initiatives, including
    > efforts to increase public sector productivity, improve delivery to the public/citizens and foster
    > innovation

    TRANSLATION: The Government has us by the short-n-curlies at the moment, but if we play our cards
    carefully and smooth-talk enough of the technically illiterate bean counters - those who believe our
    "innovation" propaganda - before too long we'll have them banding over and lubing-up for us to screw
    them real hard.

    > We’ve seen the Department of Internal Affairs take control of many of the State Services
    > Commission’s ICT functions and changes in the way ICT is being procured. How is this likely to
    > change the way Microsoft addresses the government sector?
    >
    > I don’t think this will change the way Microsoft engages with government. To date our engagement
    > with the Department of Internal Affairs has been very positive. We have found them easy to engage
    > and pragmatic. The government has made a significant investment in Microsoft software over a
    > number of years and the Department is keen to make the most of that investment.

    TRANSLATION: The government agencies have been willing to talk with us, but so far none of Brett's
    attempts to arm-twist them into paying more cash have been successful. As a result I've been brought in
    to smooth-talk them out of their cash. It's gonna be a tough mission and I'm putting a brave face on it.

    Sweetpea, Mar 15, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 15, 5:33 pm, "AD." <> wrote:
    > On Mar 15, 5:08 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > > > Yeah, right. Who was it who said “Linux is a cancer”? Who claims that
    > > > Linux
    > > > violates 235 of its patents? Who sued TomTom, and is going after other
    > > > companies trying to offer Linux-based products as well?

    > > Who exactly? References, please?  Or ...don't tell me you're just making
    > > this stuff up! Really!?!

    > A couple of posts ago, you were so proud of your ability to use google
    > to look up stuff. Have you forgotten how? Don't worry, it's ok.
    >
    > Because you are so nice and you genuinely want to know, I'll give you
    > a helpful reminder of how to search for things on your favourite new
    > search engine:
    >
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Linux is a cancer
    >
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Linux 235 patents
    >
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=suing tomtom
    >
    > If you look closely through the results, you might pick up some hints
    > of who that nasty Lawrence was talking about. If I didn't know any
    > better, I might think he was alluding to MS saying and doing those
    > things.

    Hang on a minute, mate, should not 'Impossible' be using Bing?

    Interestingly, Microsoft's Bing returns similar results.

    peterwn, Mar 15, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 16, 12:44 am, "impossible" <> wrote:

    > Nothing to do with linux. Microsoft sued TomTom for infringement of patents
    > in code **implemented by TomTom**.

    And what was the precise nature of the alleged IP infringement that
    Micro$oft threatened to sue TomTom for - patent numbers, identity of
    copyrighted creative works, etc. Or did Micro$oft just make blunt
    broad-brush claims against TomTom who buckled rather than paying
    enormous legal fees to defend the claims. If this is not protection
    racketeering, then what is?

    peterwn, Mar 15, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 15, 8:47 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:

    > TRANSLATION: The Government has us by the short-n-curlies at the moment, but if we play our cards
    > carefully and smooth-talk enough of the technically illiterate bean counters - those who believe our
    > "innovation" propaganda - before too long we'll have them banding over and lubing-up for us to screw
    > them real hard.

    A typical marketing ploy is to get to see CEO's and other senior
    people, and for some reason Microsoft reps seem to have easier access
    to them than the organisations' own IT managers. Perhaps they have
    nice big expense accounts and membership of exclusive golf clubs etc.

    Perhaps they will be looking for 'vulnerabilities' and looking to feed
    the media with smear articles as Microsoft did in Massachusetts
    several years ago. Hopefully local media is more discerning about
    what they publish than the Boston Globe was at the time - they
    splattered it all over the front page, but the claims fell to pireces
    when investigated. The state's IT manager by then had had a gutsful
    and got another job elsewhere.

    Several years ago the NZ Government circulated a document created by
    Microsoft about the 'dangers' of open source software - ie typical
    Microsoft FUD. This severely dented Microsoft's credibility in NZ
    Government circles.

    peterwn, Mar 15, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 16, 12:44 am, "impossible" <> wrote:

    On Mar 15, 5:08 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> Who exactly? References, please? Or ...don't tell me you're just making
    >> this stuff up! Really!?!

    <snipped a bunch of searches for references>

    <snipped some deflection by the impossitroll>

    > If you's stop censoring my posts, you'd know better than to rely on Larry
    > D'Loser's drive-by trolls for your information.

    "Wah! wah! You're censoring me! wah! wah!"

    You wanted references, you got plenty of them. You can't argue they
    don't exist or that they were "made up".

    And no, I would never rely on Larry's silly trolling for any
    information of any sort - just the same as I wouldn't rely on your
    silly trolling for any information either.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 15, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 16, 9:51 am, John Smith <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/microsofts-new-tech-officer-....>

    > >     [CW:] There’s still a lot of hostility between Microsoft and the open
    > >     source people. Are you planning to build bridges to them or to bury
    > >     them?

    > >     [Mark Rees:] I think the conflict between Microsoft and the open source
    > >     community is exaggerated.

    > > Yeah, right. Who was it who said “Linux is a cancer”? Who claims that Linux
    > > violates 235 of its patents? Who sued TomTom, and is going after other
    > > companies trying to offer Linux-based products as well?

    > > There are only two conclusions to draw: either

    > > 1) His job, like Brett’s, is to put a more positive spin on Microsoft’s
    > > implacable hostility to Open Source, or
    > > 2) He’s deluding himself.

    > I seem to remember Robert raving in here.

    You mean Brett? He did rave here a few years ago and got trashed.
    Has not been back since. No need to, he had 'Impossible' and others
    to do Microsoft's trolling, FUDding, astroturfing, shilling, etc for
    them.

    peterwn, Mar 15, 2010
  10. In message
    <>, peterwn
    wrote:

    > [Brett] did rave here a few years ago and got trashed.

    He came to talk to the local Linux Users’ Group a few years ago
    <http://wlug.org.nz/MeetingTopics.2007-02-26>.

    Basically he was a turd-polisher.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 16, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 16, 2:13 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mar 16, 12:44 am, "impossible" <> wrote:

    > >> Nothing to do with linux. Microsoft sued TomTom for infringement of
    > >> patents
    > >> in code **implemented by TomTom**.

    > > And what was the precise nature of the alleged IP infringement that
    > > Micro$oft threatened to sue TomTom for - patent numbers, identity of
    > > copyrighted creative works, etc.  Or did Micro$oft just make blunt
    > > broad-brush claims against TomTom who buckled rather than paying
    > > enormous legal fees to defend the claims.  If this is not protection
    > > racketeering, then what is?

    > http://assets.bizjournals.com/seattle/pdf/techflash/tomtomComplaint.pdf

    Thanks, noting of course that the patents are applicable only to
    products sold within USA.

    peterwn, Mar 16, 2010
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Mar 16, 2:20 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, peterwn
    > wrote:
    >
    > > [Brett] did rave here a few years ago and got trashed.

    > He came to talk to the local Linux Users’ Group a few years ago
    > <http://wlug.org.nz/MeetingTopics.2007-02-26>.
    >
    > Basically he was a turd-polisher.

    Let's pay credit where it is due - at least he had the guts to front
    up!

    Simon, Mar 16, 2010
  13. In message <673ce919-
    >, Simon wrote:

    > On Mar 16, 2:20 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In message
    >> <>,
    >> peterwn wrote:
    >>
    >> > [Brett] did rave here a few years ago and got trashed.

    >> He came to talk to the local Linux Users’ Group a few years ago
    >> <http://wlug.org.nz/MeetingTopics.2007-02-26>.
    >>
    >> Basically he was a turd-polisher.

    > Let's pay credit where it is due - at least he had the guts to front
    > up!

    He was the only one in the room getting paid to be there.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 16, 2010
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Mar 16, 9:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > He was the only one in the room getting paid to be there.

    So what? Attending a meeting like that is walking into the Lions den -
    if he'd really wanted to, he could have got out of attending the
    meeting.

    Simon, Mar 16, 2010
  15. In message <489edee9-bbb5-4610-8da3-
    >, Simon wrote:

    > On Mar 16, 9:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> He was the only one in the room getting paid to be there.

    > So what? Attending a meeting like that is walking into the Lions den -

    Funnily enough, it wasn’t. Hardly anybody questioned him on most of the
    points he was making—except me.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 16, 2010