Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deryck lant, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en

    Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
    NEF files.

    High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
    processing libraries
    to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

    Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
    render
    images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
    the image
    was captured.

    You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Jun 15, 2005

  2. On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:37:31 +0100, deryck lant <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
    >
    >Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
    >NEF files.
    >
    >High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
    >processing libraries
    >to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

    Oh, so they use the less powerful software provided on the cheap by
    the camera vendor?

    >Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
    >render
    >images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
    >the image
    >was captured.

    A big mistake. Frazer suggest when working with raw to use ProPhoto
    RGB as the working color space and not sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998 which
    the camera provides.

    You do know that raw is independent of the color space set in the
    camera which is the whole purpose of using it?

    >You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

    So, why bother since you can adjust it either.

    Are you a shill for MicroSerf or just ignorant?

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Jun 15, 2005

  3. deryck  lant

    [BnH] Guest

    Its quite a good tool if you want to only view your RAW s/ware.
    At least for us in the Nikon camp :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jun 15, 2005
  4. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <>
    from deryck lant <> contains these words:

    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en

    > Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
    > NEF files.

    > High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
    > processing libraries
    > to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

    > Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
    > render
    > images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
    > the image
    > was captured.

    > You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

    Saving in another format will be added later.

    Even so will be welcomed by all the D2X users for the correct colour
    rendering it gives all the downloaded NEF images. Something that CS2
    doesn't do now.

    Here's another free download:

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

    Of course life is a big problem if you don't have broadband.

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Jun 15, 2005
  5. On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:01:38 +1000, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:

    >Its quite a good tool if you want to only view your RAW s/ware.
    >At least for us in the Nikon camp :)

    The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
    flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
    better job of this.

    What you are seeing here is a very compromised image starting with the
    limited color space imposed by the camera EXIF data.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Jun 15, 2005
  6. deryck  lant

    Paul Furman Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:

    > The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
    > flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
    > better job of this.

    Yes and I don't have the latest PS CS yet so this could be real handy
    for sorting. Currently I shoot raw + jpeg for quicker sorting. I'm
    hesitant to bother downloading though until someone reports this thing
    is actually reasonably fast and useful.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1
    Paul Furman, Jun 15, 2005
  7. deryck  lant

    Ryadia@home Guest

    "deryck lant" <> wrote in message
    > The message <>
    > from deryck lant <> contains these words:
    >
    > Here's another free download:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/
    >
    > Of course life is a big problem if you don't have broadband.
    >
    > Deryck

    Yeah... Right up to the part about compulsive use of NET pasport to "test"
    the program for Microsoft I was beginning to warm to the idea that just
    maybe, Microsoft might have been developing a clue about art... WRONG!

    Same shit, different wolf's clothing on the sheep.
    Plonk!

    Douglas
    Ryadia@home, Jun 15, 2005
  8. deryck  lant

    jimkramer Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > John A. Stovall wrote:
    >>
    >> The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
    >> flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
    >> better job of this.

    > Yes and I don't have the latest PS CS yet so this could be real handy for
    > sorting. Currently I shoot raw + jpeg for quicker sorting. I'm hesitant to
    > bother downloading though until someone reports this thing is actually
    > reasonably fast and useful.
    >

    > --
    > Paul Furman
    > http://www.edgehill.net/1
    > san francisco native plants

    Works like a charm on XP Pro.... took them long enough to come out with it
    though.

    Jim Kramer
    jimkramer, Jun 15, 2005