  1. I have read a few threads here, and also elsewhere that the books published
    by Microsoft Press for the Self-training do not provide an accurate view of
    what is really on the exam. Can anyone here attest to this?

    Matt Reinhart, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Matt Reinhart

    Irish Guest

    I'll let you know tomorrow...

    I've found some inaccuracies in the MS Press book and some on the readiness
    review cd as well

    Irish, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Matt Reinhart

    Pincopallino Guest

    IMO it is true for both 271 and 272. At least some of the questions of both
    exams have debatable (to say the least) answers and the knowledge to answer
    correctly to these questions can't be obtained by studying the MS books.

    Pincopallino - MOS expert, MCP, MCDST

    Pincopallino, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Matt Reinhart

    John R Guest

    >I have read a few threads here, and also elsewhere that the books published
    >by Microsoft Press for the Self-training do not provide an accurate view of
    >what is really on the exam. Can anyone here attest to this?

    The MS Press books (or any single training item) are not intended to be an
    ALL-IN-ONE solution to studying for an exam. They do cover what they cover
    very well and they go into excellent detail (IMHO). However, the tests are
    comprehensive and are designed to test your overall knowledge of the
    objectives, not specifically what you read here or there. There will always
    be some errata to any published document, and these books are no exception.
    However, as errata is found, it is published. You should not have any
    difficulty finding the errata for these books.

    As to the objectives, they are clearly stated here...

    It has been stated many many times, in this and other groups, that
    certifications are about certifying your experience. You should not believe
    that you will be able to pass a test based simply on reading a single book.
    If you do, then your expections are not correctly set.

    John R

    John R, Jan 4, 2008
  5. Matt Reinhart

    John R Guest

    > "Matt Reinhart" <> wrote in message
    >>I have read a few threads here, and also elsewhere that the books
    >>published by Microsoft Press for the Self-training do not provide an
    >>accurate view of what is really on the exam. Can anyone here attest to
    >>this?
    >>

    > The MS Press books (or any single training item) are not intended to be an
    > ALL-IN-ONE solution to studying for an exam. They do cover what they
    > cover very well and they go into excellent detail (IMHO). However, the
    > tests are comprehensive and are designed to test your overall knowledge of
    > the objectives, not specifically what you read here or there. There will
    > always be some errata to any published document, and these books are no
    > exception. However, as errata is found, it is published. You should not
    > have any difficulty finding the errata for these books.
    >
    > As to the objectives, they are clearly stated here...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.mspx
    >
    > It has been stated many many times, in this and other groups, that
    > certifications are about certifying your experience. You should not
    > believe that you will be able to pass a test based simply on reading a
    > single book. If you do, then your expections are not correctly set.
    >
    > John R

    BTW, here are a couple links you might find useful

    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/support/search.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875453/en-us

    John R

    John R, Jan 4, 2008
  6. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > "Matt Reinhart" <> wrote in message
    > >I have read a few threads here, and also elsewhere that the books published
    > >by Microsoft Press for the Self-training do not provide an accurate view of
    > >what is really on the exam. Can anyone here attest to this?
    > >

    > The MS Press books (or any single training item) are not intended to be an
    > ALL-IN-ONE solution to studying for an exam. They do cover what they cover
    > very well and they go into excellent detail (IMHO). However, the tests are
    > comprehensive and are designed to test your overall knowledge of the
    > objectives, not specifically what you read here or there. There will always
    > be some errata to any published document, and these books are no exception.
    > However, as errata is found, it is published. You should not have any
    > difficulty finding the errata for these books.
    >
    > As to the objectives, they are clearly stated here...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.mspx
    >
    > It has been stated many many times, in this and other groups, that
    > certifications are about certifying your experience. You should not believe
    > that you will be able to pass a test based simply on reading a single book.
    > If you do, then your expections are not correctly set.
    >
    > John R

    Once again, John has beaten me to my point. I am starting to consider
    him my Out-of-Office assistant! Sorry John, pay sucks but I digress.
    While books are to be used as a supplement to experience, I have found
    the MS Press books better than any on the market. As John stated, every
    book will contain errors such as misprints or typos. Some are just
    totally incorrect. While you should not have to double check everything
    you read, you should double check everything you read! If you want to
    dive deeper into understand the technology more and you are set on using
    books to do so, you might want to forego the traditional training kits
    and look into the MS Press Inside Out series or the actual Resource
    Kits. These 2 printed materials go deeper into how things work and tips
    in troubleshooting the technology when it breaks. Each one should come
    with a CD that among other things contains the entire book in PDF
    format. I sync'd this file to my windows mobile cell and carry it around
    with me to use whenever I need to reference.

    Your best bet is to download the exam objectives and start from the top.
    Check off each objective only when you have a full understanding of the
    technology and what Microsoft is asking of you.

    Good luck,

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jan 4, 2008
  7. Matt Reinhart

    John R Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Once again, John has beaten me to my point. I am starting to consider him
    > my Out-of-Office assistant! Sorry John, pay sucks but I digress.

    Great! Just what I need. Something else to clutter up my resume :)
    And are you saying I look like that paper-clip guy?

    BTW, You can take that $3 that I owe you out of my 1st twelve paychecks if
    they will cover it.

    :)

    John R

    John R, Jan 5, 2008
  8. Matt Reinhart

    John R Guest

    > If you do, then your expections are not correctly set.

    Sorry for the typo, obviously I meant "expectations".

    John R, Jan 5, 2008
  9. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    > BTW, You can take that $3 that I owe you out of my 1st twelve paychecks if
    > they will cover it.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > John R

    There is a processing fee for doing fractional math.

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jan 5, 2008