    from the pop3 server...

    Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?

    Thanks.

    KinCornCarn, Jan 2, 2004

  2. KinCornCarn

    KinCornCarn Guest

    Nope... nothing... I installed new Nvidia drivers, and VIA 4 in 1
    drivers... Wouldn't think those would make a difference.... I
    deleted and recreated my email account, but am still having the same
    problem...

    RDS, Jan 2, 2004
  4. KinCornCarn

    Kráftéé Guest

    KinCornCarn wrote:
    > I've been having a strange problem with my MS Outlook lately...
    > It's been working fine for almost a year, but now, out of the blue,
    > every time I try to Send/Receive, I get an error message
    > immediately stating simply "The Operation Failed" with an OK
    > button... I've made no changes to my email account, and the
    > normal Send/Receive dialog box doesn't come up, so I can't get a
    > more detailed error message.
    >
    > There is nothing in my outbox, I'm simply trying to retrieve new
    > email from the pop3 server...
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try checking with your ISP as a first step...

    Kráftéé, Jan 2, 2004
  5. KinCornCarn

    KinCornCarn Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:09:21 -0000, "Kráftéé"
    <> wrote:

    >KinCornCarn wrote:
    >> I've been having a strange problem with my MS Outlook lately...
    >> It's been working fine for almost a year, but now, out of the blue,
    >> every time I try to Send/Receive, I get an error message
    >> immediately stating simply "The Operation Failed" with an OK
    >> button... I've made no changes to my email account, and the
    >> normal Send/Receive dialog box doesn't come up, so I can't get a
    >> more detailed error message.
    >>
    >> There is nothing in my outbox, I'm simply trying to retrieve new
    >> email from the pop3 server...
    >>
    >> Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Try checking with your ISP as a first step...

    I've used Outlook Express to test connectivity, and the POP3 box is
    working fine... I even received the Outlook XP test message that I
    generated when I created the account.

    KinCornCarn, Jan 2, 2004
  6. KinCornCarn

    Spider Guest

    To resolve this behavior, create a new profile:
    1.. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2.. Double-click the Mail icon.
    3.. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles then click Add.
    4.. In the New Profile dialog box, under Profile Name, type a descriptive
    name for the new profile, and then click OK.
    5.. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, select Add a new e-mail account in
    the e-mail options, and then click Next.
    6.. Click the type of server that your e-mail account works with, and then
    click Next.
    7.. Complete all of the required fields, including those that are on the
    tabs that appear after you click More Settings.
    8.. When you finish providing the required information, click Finish.
    9.. When back at the General tab look towards the bottom of the window and
    change the "Always use this profile" to the name of the new one you just
    created.
    10.. When opening Outlook you will probably find an empty mailbox. That
    is because the new profile will create a new Outlook.pst file. The default
    you were using was named Outlook.pst and the new profile by default should
    use Outlook1.pst. In Outlook Click File / Import Export and follow the
    wizard to import your old pst file.
    --
    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    Spider, Jan 2, 2004
  7. KinCornCarn

    RDS Guest

    What OS are you running?
    Have you tired releasing and renewing your ipconfiguration?
    Flush your DNS while you are at it!

    RDS, Jan 2, 2004
  8. KinCornCarn

    KinCornCarn Guest

    Thanks... This worked... I deleted old profile and made a new one...
    Any idea what can cause this in the first place?

    KinCornCarn, Jan 2, 2004
  9. KinCornCarn

    Spider Guest

    Not really, there are many different ways a profile can get corrupted. My
    personal guess is that it was the pst file that was causing the problem, but
    the new profile replaces that as well as the send/receive account.

    Spider, Jan 3, 2004
  10. KinCornCarn

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Spiders back!

    pcbutts1, Jan 3, 2004
  11. KinCornCarn

    Spider Guest

    Yep here and there once in awhile, some things never change from what I can
    see...Good to hear from you..

    Spider, Jan 3, 2004
  12. KinCornCarn

    bex81

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    another option

    Hi, well I was going try the whole new account thing later on.
    So I ended up trying to shut down the computer and it kept coming up with 'Microsoft Outlook Programs need to be shut down first', with a Outlook Tab flashing on the bottom as if it was opened.
    Everytime I clicked ok on the alert, the tab at the bottom would disappear.
    I ended up ctrl+alt+del. No applications were running in the windows task bar but in processes OUTLOOK.EXE was there. I just selected to end the process and when i re-opened outlook (without shutting down PC) it worked fine like nothing had happened.

    bex81, Jul 31, 2006
  13. KinCornCarn

    DoohanGreat

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Retrieving old profile after creating new profile

    Spider these instructions were invaluable, thank you. I was having the same problem.
    Only problem now is that I had to remove the old profile.
    What I didn't realise or understand about your importing instructions is that I needed to do this because I lose all my old emails if I don't.
    I have mucked it up! is there any way I can retrieve the old profile from somewhere inside my computer?
    I read all your instructions I'm just a little lame when it comes to following tech instructions. Whoops!

    DoohanGreat, Nov 8, 2009