Microsoft Open Specification Promise

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brett Roberts, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
    interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
    making the protocols listed below freely available for use without requiring
    license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark Webbink seem
    to think it's a good thing.

    http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx

    WS-Addressing
    WS-RM Policy
    WS-AtomicTransaction
    Remote Shell Web Services Protocol
    WS-BusinessActivity
    WS-SecureConversation
    WS-Coordination
    WS-Security: Kerberos Binding
    WS-Discovery
    WS-Security: SOAP Message Security
    WSDL
    WS-Security: UsernameToken Profile
    WSDL 1.1 Binding Extension for SOAP 1.2
    WS-Security: X.509 Certificate Token Profile
    WS-Enumeration
    WS-SecurityPolicy
    WS-Eventing
    SOAP
    WS-Federation
    SOAP 1.1 Binding for MTOM 1.0
    WS-Federation Active Requestor Profile
    SOAP MTOM / XOP
    WS-Federation Passive Requestor Profile
    SOAP-over-UDP
    WS-Management
    WS-Transfer
    WS-Management Catalog
    WS-Trust
    WS-MetadataExchange
    WS-I Basic Profile
    WS-Policy
    Web Single Sign-On Interoperability Profile
    WS-PolicyAttachment
    Web Single Sign-On Metadata Exchange Protocol
    WS-ReliableMessaging

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Brett Roberts

    Daniel Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
    > interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
    > making the protocols listed below freely available for use without
    > requiring license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's
    > Mark Webbink seem to think it's a good thing.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx

    <snip>

    Cool.

    I don't suppose there's any possibility that NTFS (I know it's not a
    protocol) might be open anytime soon?

    It's annoying how OEM laptop manufacturers have their hard drives
    formatted with FAT32 partitions these days because the partitioning
    tools don't handle NTFS properly - unless Paragon decide to open source
    their NTFS code.

    Daniel, Sep 12, 2006

  3. Brett Roberts

    Allistar Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:

    > Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
    > interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
    > making the protocols listed below freely available for use without
    > requiring license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark
    > Webbink seem to think it's a good thing.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx
    >
    > WS-Addressing
    > WS-RM Policy
    > WS-AtomicTransaction
    > Remote Shell Web Services Protocol
    > WS-BusinessActivity
    > WS-SecureConversation
    > WS-Coordination
    > WS-Security: Kerberos Binding
    > WS-Discovery
    > WS-Security: SOAP Message Security
    > WSDL
    > WS-Security: UsernameToken Profile
    > WSDL 1.1 Binding Extension for SOAP 1.2
    > WS-Security: X.509 Certificate Token Profile
    > WS-Enumeration
    > WS-SecurityPolicy
    > WS-Eventing
    > SOAP
    > WS-Federation
    > SOAP 1.1 Binding for MTOM 1.0
    > WS-Federation Active Requestor Profile
    > SOAP MTOM / XOP
    > WS-Federation Passive Requestor Profile
    > SOAP-over-UDP
    > WS-Management
    > WS-Transfer
    > WS-Management Catalog
    > WS-Trust
    > WS-MetadataExchange
    > WS-I Basic Profile
    > WS-Policy
    > Web Single Sign-On Interoperability Profile
    > WS-PolicyAttachment
    > Web Single Sign-On Metadata Exchange Protocol
    > WS-ReliableMessaging
    >

    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    Cool. SOAP and WSDL are already open protocols. When will SMB and the .doc
    format get opened up?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 13, 2006
  4. "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Brett Roberts wrote:
    >
    >> Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
    >> interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
    >> making the protocols listed below freely available for use without
    >> requiring license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark
    >> Webbink seem to think it's a good thing.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx
    >>
    >> WS-Addressing
    >> WS-RM Policy
    >> WS-AtomicTransaction
    >> Remote Shell Web Services Protocol
    >> WS-BusinessActivity
    >> WS-SecureConversation
    >> WS-Coordination
    >> WS-Security: Kerberos Binding
    >> WS-Discovery
    >> WS-Security: SOAP Message Security
    >> WSDL
    >> WS-Security: UsernameToken Profile
    >> WSDL 1.1 Binding Extension for SOAP 1.2
    >> WS-Security: X.509 Certificate Token Profile
    >> WS-Enumeration
    >> WS-SecurityPolicy
    >> WS-Eventing
    >> SOAP
    >> WS-Federation
    >> SOAP 1.1 Binding for MTOM 1.0
    >> WS-Federation Active Requestor Profile
    >> SOAP MTOM / XOP
    >> WS-Federation Passive Requestor Profile
    >> SOAP-over-UDP
    >> WS-Management
    >> WS-Transfer
    >> WS-Management Catalog
    >> WS-Trust
    >> WS-MetadataExchange
    >> WS-I Basic Profile
    >> WS-Policy
    >> Web Single Sign-On Interoperability Profile
    >> WS-PolicyAttachment
    >> Web Single Sign-On Metadata Exchange Protocol
    >> WS-ReliableMessaging
    >>

    >> Brett Roberts
    >> Microsoft NZ

    > Cool. SOAP and WSDL are already open protocols. When will SMB and the .doc
    > format get opened up?
    >
    > Allistar.

    I don't know about the SMB protocol but there's info on the OpenXML Schema
    licensing at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/covenant.mspx

    And a 3rd party legal opinion of the above:

    http://www.bakernet.com/BakerNet/Resources/Publications/Recent Publications/OpenXML.htm

    And some additional background info:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2005/11/22/495876.aspx

    Brett Roberts, Sep 13, 2006
  5. In message <ee7ag7$igp$>, Daniel wrote:

    > I don't suppose there's any possibility that NTFS (I know it's not a
    > protocol) might be open anytime soon?
    >
    > It's annoying how OEM laptop manufacturers have their hard drives
    > formatted with FAT32 partitions these days because the partitioning
    > tools don't handle NTFS properly - unless Paragon decide to open source
    > their NTFS code.

    I believe there is already Free Software NTFS read/write code available
    <http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=23836054&forum_id=2697>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2006
  6. Brett Roberts

    MaHogany Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:46:31 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:

    > Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
    > interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
    > making the protocols listed below freely available for use without requiring
    > license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark Webbink seem
    > to think it's a good thing.

    Yes - it is indeed a good thing that M$ has agreed not to sue people for
    using material that M$ has included within a few software patents.

    One question, however.

    Why is M$ agreeing not to sue people for using Keberos? Since when did M$
    "own" Keberos?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."

    MaHogany, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Brett Roberts

    MaHogany Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:25:05 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:

    > I don't know about the SMB protocol but there's info on the OpenXML Schema
    > licensing at:

    The "OpenXML" schema does not describe the ".doc" file formats.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Sep 13, 2006
  8. "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:25:05 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know about the SMB protocol but there's info on the OpenXML
    >> Schema
    >> licensing at:

    > The "OpenXML" schema does not describe the ".doc" file formats.
    >

    > Ma Hogany
    >
    > --
    > "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    > fries with that, if prompted."

    Documentation for the .doc, .xls, .ppt and .drw formats is available under
    the same "Covenant Not to Sue" licensing arrangement as the OpenXML schemas.
    If anybody wants more info on this please email me directly.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Sep 14, 2006
  9. Brett Roberts

    AD. Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > Why is M$ agreeing not to sue people for using Keberos? Since when did M$
    > "own" Keberos?

    That wasn't Kerberos itself - that was just the Kerberos bindings for
    their SOAP web services stack. I presume this lets SOAP clients get
    authenticated using Kerberos.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 14, 2006
  10. In message <>, AD.
    wrote:

    > MaHogany wrote:
    >> Why is M$ agreeing not to sue people for using Keberos? Since when did M$
    >> "own" Keberos?

    > That wasn't Kerberos itself - that was just the Kerberos bindings for
    > their SOAP web services stack.

    Microsoft _did_ do its own mutation of Kerberos. And then tried to sue
    people distributing the document it published
    <http://brianlivingston.com/windowmanager/archive/articles/op/xml/00/05/29/000529oplivingston.xml.html>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2006
  11. Brett Roberts

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-12, Brett Roberts <> wrote:
    > Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
    > interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
    > making the protocols listed below freely available for use without requiring
    > license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark Webbink seem
    > to think it's a good thing.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx

    Seems like a good thing to me too.

    If that list satisfies the eouropean court it'll save microsoft a few
    million dollars per day...

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Sep 15, 2006