Microsoft open document format wins at ISO

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/01/business/msft.php

    "In the final round of voting, which ended Saturday, three-quarters of the
    core members, including Britain, Japan, Germany and Switzerland, supported
    Microsoft's standard, called Ooxml, according to the results document. Of
    the 87 nations total national votes, only 10 opposed the standard, including
    Brazil, Canada, China, Cuba, Ecuador, India, Iran, New Zealand, South Africa
    and Venezuela."

    Heads will roll at IBM, Sun, and the ODF Alliance over this. Untold millions
    were invested in their failed lobbying campaign, and you can be sure that
    someone will be made to pay. (I can see Slovenia getting bullied by
    Microsoft into changing their minds, but how the heck did the ODF Lobby
    manage to squander the votes of Britain and Japan?!!!!) Oh, well -- no
    great loss. Though I do feel for a lot of small developers who were suckered
    into thinking that they could free-ride on an imaginary wave of interest in
    ODF ("Go Munich!", eh, Allistair?). That's what happens when standards are
    commercialized -- IBM-Sun thought it could manipulate the concept of open
    document standards to break Microsoft's grip on the desktop software market,
    but in the end they managed only to score a spectacular own goal. Microsoft
    Office documents are not just the de facto industry standard now, as they
    have been for 15 years, but -- thanks to IBM-Sun's prodding -- they have
    received the official ISO stamp of approval as well. Did anyone else here
    see that coming?
    impossible, Apr 1, 2008

  2. impossible

    peterwn Guest

    peterwn, Apr 2, 2008

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 2, 7:16 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/01/business/msft.php
    >>
    >> "In the final round of voting, which ended Saturday, three-quarters of
    >> the
    >> core members, including Britain, Japan, Germany and Switzerland,
    >> supported
    >> Microsoft's standard, called Ooxml, according to the results document. Of
    >> the 87 nations total national votes, only 10 opposed the standard,
    >> including
    >> Brazil, Canada, China, Cuba, Ecuador, India, Iran, New Zealand, South
    >> Africa
    >> and Venezuela."
    >>
    >> Heads will roll at IBM, Sun, and the ODF Alliance over this. Untold
    >> millions
    >> were invested in their failed lobbying campaign, and you can be sure that
    >> someone will be made to pay. (I can see Slovenia getting bullied by
    >> Microsoft into changing their minds, but how the heck did the ODF Lobby
    >> manage to squander the votes of Britain and Japan?!!!!) Oh, well -- no
    >> great loss. Though I do feel for a lot of small developers who were
    >> suckered
    >> into thinking that they could free-ride on an imaginary wave of interest
    >> in
    >> ODF ("Go Munich!", eh, Allistair?). That's what happens when standards
    >> are
    >> commercialized -- IBM-Sun thought it could manipulate the concept of open
    >> document standards to break Microsoft's grip on the desktop software
    >> market,
    >> but in the end they managed only to score a spectacular own goal.
    >> Microsoft
    >> Office documents are not just the de facto industry standard now, as they
    >> have been for 15 years, but -- thanks to IBM-Sun's prodding -- they have
    >> received the official ISO stamp of approval as well. Did anyone else here
    >> see that coming?
    >>

    > Now let's see if anyone will actually use OOXML, and don't kid
    > yourself that Microsoft will.

    Yeah, right.
    impossible, Apr 2, 2008
  4. In article <>, peterwn <> wrote:
    >On Apr 2, 7:16 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/01/business/msft.php

    >Now let's see if anyone will actually use OOXML, and don't kid
    >yourself that Microsoft will.

    Agreed. The first thing they'll do is "trumpet their success". The second is
    to break it by adding "extensions".
    Assuming history is a good guide of course :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 2, 2008
  5. impossible

    peterwn Guest

    On Apr 2, 6:22 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > Agreed. The first thing they'll do is "trumpet their success". The second is
    > to break it by adding "extensions".

    That has already happened. Office 2007 does not support OOXML, but
    instead uses a hybrid of OOXML and other things for its file formats.
    peterwn, Apr 2, 2008
  6. Re: Microsoft: Where Do You Want To Go To Die?

    In article
    <>, peterwn
    did write:

    > On Apr 2, 6:22 pm,
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >
    >> Agreed. The first thing they'll do is "trumpet their success". The second
    >> is to break it by adding "extensions".

    > That has already happened. Office 2007 does not support OOXML, but
    > instead uses a hybrid of OOXML and other things for its file formats.

    OOXML isn't even valid XML. Apparently it uses the same attribute names, not
    qualified by any namespace, to mean different things in different places.
    This violates the XML namespace spec.

    Looks like there are going to be some appeals against the ISO vote
    <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9074358&intsrc=hm_list> ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 3, 2008
  7. impossible

    BrianM Guest

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:34:08 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article
    > <>, peterwn
    > did write:
    >
    >> On Apr 2, 6:22 pm,
    >> (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Agreed. The first thing they'll do is "trumpet their success". The second
    >>> is to break it by adding "extensions".

    >> That has already happened. Office 2007 does not support OOXML, but
    >> instead uses a hybrid of OOXML and other things for its file formats.

    > OOXML isn't even valid XML. Apparently it uses the same attribute names, not
    > qualified by any namespace, to mean different things in different places.
    > This violates the XML namespace spec.
    >
    > Looks like there are going to be some appeals against the ISO vote
    > <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9074358&intsrc=hm_list> ...

    I think there is a 2 month limbo period while appeals are heard.
    The only member of the ISO awake during this period may be the
    guy/gal with the "Appeal Rejected" stamp.
    A fitting outcome for soft shoe shufflers like the UK, Norway, the
    Philippines et al, would be to make it compulsory for their countries
    to adopt OOXML and store their precious documents in it.
    Seems the biggest threat to Microsoft would be if someone actually
    wanted to use it - that and the EU of course.

    cheers
    BrianM
    BrianM, Apr 3, 2008
  8. In article <>, peterwn <> wrote:
    >On Apr 2, 6:22 pm,
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >
    >> Agreed. The first thing they'll do is "trumpet their success". The second is
    >> to break it by adding "extensions".

    >That has already happened. Office 2007 does not support OOXML, but
    >instead uses a hybrid of OOXML and other things for its file formats.

    ... that's the fastest I've ever been proven right - thanks :) :) ... but
    given the previouus data, I admit it was hardly much of a "prediction" at
    all. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 7, 2008