microsoft office promotion (sorry to start another thread)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I just got an email today from someone saying they have got 6 copies of
    office 2003 from the promotion last week and asked me how much i would offer
    to buy them to sell them on.. In fact i think ill paste the whole email:

    <quote>
    Myself and some friends recently got copies of Office 2003 Pro (retail) in
    the Microsoft promotion that ran on Wednesday 22nd.

    We're wondering if you would be interested in purchasing any copies (We have
    6 between us) and If so, what sort of figure would you be willing to offer?
    (As far as I'm aware, the wholesale price is somewhere around $900.00)

    Obviously all copies are undamaged and still in the original box, with
    shrink wrapping untouched.

    </quote>

    How dodgy is that
    Andrew, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Andrew

    Allistar Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > I just got an email today from someone saying they have got 6 copies of
    > office 2003 from the promotion last week and asked me how much i would
    > offer to buy them to sell them on.. In fact i think ill paste the whole
    > email:
    >
    > <quote>
    > Myself and some friends recently got copies of Office 2003 Pro (retail) in
    > the Microsoft promotion that ran on Wednesday 22nd.
    >
    > We're wondering if you would be interested in purchasing any copies (We
    > have 6 between us) and If so, what sort of figure would you be willing to
    > offer? (As far as I'm aware, the wholesale price is somewhere around
    > $900.00)
    >
    > Obviously all copies are undamaged and still in the original box, with
    > shrink wrapping untouched.
    >
    > </quote>
    >

    > How dodgy is that

    On selling free stuff is not dodgy (as long as the license allows it). The
    dodgy thing is that his email to you is essentially spam, and should be
    treated as such (by winging to their ISP).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Andrew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Allistar <> wrote in

    > On selling free stuff is not dodgy (as long as the license allows it).
    > The dodgy thing is that his email to you is essentially spam, and
    > should be treated as such (by winging to their ISP).
    >
    > Allistar.

    Assuming it was addressed to the Andrew I'm thinking of, then the person is
    only offering to supply goods as a business transaction though not a very
    ethical one IMO.

    Surely it's no different than, e.g. me sending an email to a dozen (or
    more) local car dealers asking them if they would be interested in buying
    my car and how much they would be prepared to pay assuming I really was
    interested in selling my car.

    How is it essentially spam ? - it's that like being "more wronger" as
    someone else said in another related thread.

    Also, why do assume it is a male ?
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Andrew

    steve Guest

    Andrew allegedly said:

    > How dodgy is that

    $900 for MS Office is pretty dodgy for an upgrade.

    www.openoffice.org

    The price is right.

    $0

    The functionality is MORE than enough for me.

    steve, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Andrew

    T.N.O. Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > How dodgy is that

    Good on them, nothing wrong with trying to make a buck.
    T.N.O., Oct 28, 2003
  6. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Andrew allegedly said:
    >

    >> How dodgy is that

    > $900 for MS Office is pretty dodgy for an upgrade.

    It's not an upgrade.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Andrew

    John Bildy Guest

    It is if you already have a registered version of Office.

    JB

    John Bildy, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Andrew

    harry Guest

    John Bildy wrote:

    >>> $900 for MS Office is pretty dodgy for an upgrade.

    >> It's not an upgrade.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > It is if you already have a registered version of Office.
    >
    > JB

    (top posters mistake corrected)
    The upgrade pack is available for $653
    harry, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John Bildy wrote:

    >>> $900 for MS Office is pretty dodgy for an upgrade.

    >> It's not an upgrade.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > It is if you already have a registered version of Office.

    Then you wouldn't buy the full retail pack, you'd buy the upgrade pack. A
    bit cheaper than $900.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2003
  10. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Your right Chris, It was not emailed to a personal address, It was to a
    business address, Thier point in me buying thier copies is to onsell them to
    my clients..

    Andrew, Oct 28, 2003
  11. Andrew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Andrew wrote:
    > > How dodgy is that

    > Good on them, nothing wrong with trying to make a buck.

    All quite legal. However it will make Microsoft think twice about how they
    do future promotions. Obviously the giveaways were for people to use, not
    for a business to hire people to snap a lot of the giveaways up so that
    business can sell them off later at just under the full price. Which is all
    quite possible.

    These giveaway promotions should be repackaged. The goods should be removed
    from the usual retail boxes by Microsoft and stuffed into a box clearly
    marked Microsoft free giveaway promotion.
    Sure the contents would be the same as the usual retail version, but the
    free promotion boxes couldn't then be sold off by some low life retailer at
    a later date by using staff or other people to grab them up. They'd still
    be worth something, but being clearly marked as Free Microsoft Promotion not
    that much more than anyone was to grab them for. They're given away to be
    used to promote the product, not for people to make a fast easy buck out of.
    Otherwise the next free promotion that Microsoft does might as well be that
    the first 5 people to each store gets $500 in cash each.

    One quite legal thing that I'm suspicious of some places doing. Is that
    when some products are greatly reduced to attract customers and interest to
    a store, that not all the stock of some products are put out in the store on
    display to be sold while that particular promotion is running. I don't
    think it's always the case of a lot of quick shoppers snapping up the stock
    that was there the day before, but the retailer the night before making sure
    that not that many numbers of a product are out on display while a big price
    reduction is on them. Just go back as soon as the promotion is over the
    next day, and you'll see some products all nicely out on display in large
    numbers again at the usual retail price.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 28, 2003
  12. Andrew

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ allegedly said:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Andrew allegedly said:
    >>

    >>> How dodgy is that

    >> $900 for MS Office is pretty dodgy for an upgrade.

    > It's not an upgrade.

    Must be a special price.

    So what's the upgrade? $600?

    steve, Oct 28, 2003
  13. Andrew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Your right Chris, It was not emailed to a personal address, It was to a
    > business address, Thier point in me buying thier copies is to onsell them

    > my clients..

    I'm guessing that if you were to buy such products in the future and the
    products were repackaged properly as "Free Microsoft Promotion" as they
    should've been. Your chances of then being able to resell those at close to
    the normal retail price would be very fat ones - same with any other
    retailer or anyone else.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 28, 2003
  14. Andrew

    steve Guest

    harry allegedly said:

    > (top posters mistake corrected)
    > The upgrade pack is available for $653

    'Only' $653 :)

    If I had to put MS Office on 10 PCs, the "upgrade" would cost me $6,530.

    Since only one has a legal copy of MS Office 2000, the cost to me would be
    $8,100 + $653 = $8753.....and let's do THAT again in 18 months or so!

    Plus the Windows OS upgrades - probably at least $350 each ($3,500)...though
    most of my systems run Linux, so it would be more like $7,000.

    Gee! If you have 10 PCs, Windows only costs you roughly $15,000 every couple
    of years......and you get sweet FA in the way of support.

    Linux + Open Office PLUS paid Red Hat Network support on 10 systems = $2,400
    every couple of years.

    Or if you know how to run Linux and have the time to follow patches /
    updates manually, don't pay for the support and your software costs
    approach zero.

    I don't see how home users with more than one or two PCs can afford to use
    Windows. It's expensive stuff.

    steve, Oct 28, 2003
  15. "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > I just got an email today from someone saying they have got 6 copies of
    > office 2003 from the promotion last week and asked me how much i would

    offer
    > to buy them to sell them on.. In fact i think ill paste the whole email:
    >
    > <quote>
    > Myself and some friends recently got copies of Office 2003 Pro (retail) in
    > the Microsoft promotion that ran on Wednesday 22nd.
    >
    > We're wondering if you would be interested in purchasing any copies (We

    have
    > 6 between us) and If so, what sort of figure would you be willing to

    offer?
    > (As far as I'm aware, the wholesale price is somewhere around $900.00)
    >
    > Obviously all copies are undamaged and still in the original box, with
    > shrink wrapping untouched.
    >
    > </quote>
    >

    > How dodgy is that

    By our estimate only 2% or so of the Office 2003 copies we've given away
    have been onsold via auction sites, newsgroups etc so we're quite happy with
    the overall result. Having said that, the intent was definitely to have
    people use the product rather than selling it (or swapping it for a car as I
    saw on TradeMe IIRC) :)

    So here's a question, if we did a similar exercise in the future should we:

    1. Sticker the product as being "not for resale" ?
    2. Get recipients to sign something agreeing not to on-sell it ?
    3. Don't do anything and accept a small amount of on-selling ?
    4 Other ?

    I appreciate the feedback

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    --

    Our legal people have asked me to tell you that this posting is provided "AS
    IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. I'm pretty sure it also
    Brett Roberts, Oct 28, 2003
  16. Andrew

    T.N.O. Guest

    steve wrote:
    > I don't see how home users with more than one or two PCs can afford to use
    > Windows. It's expensive stuff.

    Home users dont upgrade.

    New machine every 5 or so years, with XP and cut down Office("Works
    something pack" has word and excel) for ~$2500

    Thats only(yeah I know *only*) $500 a year...
    T.N.O., Oct 28, 2003
  17. Andrew

    Nelly Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:32:15 +1300, "Brett Roberts"
    <> wrote:

    >"Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >> I just got an email today from someone saying they have got 6 copies of
    >> office 2003 from the promotion last week and asked me how much i would

    >offer
    >> to buy them to sell them on.. In fact i think ill paste the whole email:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> Myself and some friends recently got copies of Office 2003 Pro (retail) in
    >> the Microsoft promotion that ran on Wednesday 22nd.
    >>
    >> We're wondering if you would be interested in purchasing any copies (We

    >have
    >> 6 between us) and If so, what sort of figure would you be willing to

    >offer?
    >> (As far as I'm aware, the wholesale price is somewhere around $900.00)
    >>
    >> Obviously all copies are undamaged and still in the original box, with
    >> shrink wrapping untouched.
    >>
    >> </quote>
    >>

    >> How dodgy is that
    >>

    >By our estimate only 2% or so of the Office 2003 copies we've given away
    >have been onsold via auction sites, newsgroups etc so we're quite happy with
    >the overall result. Having said that, the intent was definitely to have
    >people use the product rather than selling it (or swapping it for a car as I
    >saw on TradeMe IIRC) :)
    >
    >So here's a question, if we did a similar exercise in the future should we:
    >
    >1. Sticker the product as being "not for resale" ?
    >2. Get recipients to sign something agreeing not to on-sell it ?
    >3. Don't do anything and accept a small amount of on-selling ?
    >4 Other ?

    I don't think 1 & 2 would work as I think that the majority of people
    that on-sell or buy would still continue to do so. So yep 3 looks like
    your answer.

    Does MS NZ have total control on the way MS NZ is run with no control
    from the USA. A company I worked for a few years ago was taken over by
    an American corporate and we couldn't even blow our noses without
    permission from the USA first.

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)
    Nelly, Oct 28, 2003
  18. Andrew

    T.N.O. Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > By our estimate only 2% or so of the Office 2003 copies we've given away
    > have been onsold via auction sites, newsgroups etc so we're quite happy with
    > the overall result.

    But, wouldn't you rather have users who want the software than someone
    who just went and got it free, and chucked it into a suitcase and forgot
    about it... It is all free advertising for MS.

    > So here's a question, if we did a similar exercise in the future should we:
    > 1. Sticker the product as being "not for resale" ?
    > 2. Get recipients to sign something agreeing not to on-sell it ?
    > 4 Other ?

    1, 2 and 4
    Use trackable serial numbers on the give away ones... so that when they
    register, you can match them to the details you took on the giveaway day.
    T.N.O., Oct 28, 2003
  19. Andrew

    jfwilson Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > All quite legal. However it will make Microsoft think twice about how

    they
    > do future promotions. Obviously the giveaways were for people to use, not
    > for a business to hire people to snap a lot of the giveaways up so that
    > business can sell them off later at just under the full price. Which is

    all
    > quite possible.
    >
    > These giveaway promotions should be repackaged. The goods should be

    removed
    > from the usual retail boxes by Microsoft and stuffed into a box clearly
    > marked Microsoft free giveaway promotion.
    > Sure the contents would be the same as the usual retail version, but the
    > free promotion boxes couldn't then be sold off by some low life retailer

    at
    > a later date by using staff or other people to grab them up.

    snip

    The object of the promo (IMO) was to get the product noticed and out
    into the market place. How that happened is, basically, irrelevant.
    I don't need microsft office but a $1000 give away is not to be
    ignored. An hour before opening time there were still opportunities
    available where I was so I phoned a couple of friends who needed
    the money, not the product. Whoever subsequently buys them at
    whatever price and puts them to good use the end result for
    Microsoft is the same.
    jfwilson, Oct 29, 2003
  20. Andrew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > > I just got an email today from someone saying they have got 6 copies of
    > > office 2003 from the promotion last week and asked me how much i would

    > offer
    > > to buy them to sell them on.. In fact i think ill paste the whole email:
    > >
    > > <quote>
    > > Myself and some friends recently got copies of Office 2003 Pro (retail)

    in
    > > the Microsoft promotion that ran on Wednesday 22nd.
    > >
    > > We're wondering if you would be interested in purchasing any copies (We

    > have
    > > 6 between us) and If so, what sort of figure would you be willing to

    > offer?
    > > (As far as I'm aware, the wholesale price is somewhere around $900.00)
    > >
    > > Obviously all copies are undamaged and still in the original box, with
    > > shrink wrapping untouched.
    > >
    > > </quote>
    > >

    > > How dodgy is that
    > >

    > By our estimate only 2% or so of the Office 2003 copies we've given away
    > have been onsold via auction sites, newsgroups etc so we're quite happy

    with
    > the overall result. Having said that, the intent was definitely to have
    > people use the product rather than selling it (or swapping it for a car as

    > saw on TradeMe IIRC) :)
    >
    > So here's a question, if we did a similar exercise in the future should

    we:

    > 1. Sticker the product as being "not for resale" ?
    > 2. Get recipients to sign something agreeing not to on-sell it ?
    > 3. Don't do anything and accept a small amount of on-selling ?
    > 4 Other ?
    >
    > I appreciate the feedback
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    "4 Other" :)
    Repackage it in a clearly marked box as "Free Microsoft Promotion". Be damn
    good publicity from the box itself, that clearly states the product is free
    from Microsoft - which can only be even better marketing for Microsoft.
    Some retailers might not have given away all 5 copies of the retail package,
    be hard to tell how many of the giveaways have been used to make a buck.

    For an outfit that's against piracy why make it easy for some people
    including businesses to make money out of what was a good free offer?
    It amounts to the same thing, some people out to make money out of something
    which they have not had to pay for, all thanks to the way the promotion was
    done - promoting commercial (loosely legal) piracy - even though Microsoft
    has handed over the full retail as sold versions all for nothing.

    It's poor that some people would rush into to grab something that they had
    no intention of ever using for themselves or as a gift, by using the free
    offer to quickly sell off at a good high price.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 29, 2003