Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Canadian 420, Dec 24, 2008.

  1. Canadian 420

    Canadian 420 Guest

    Good Morning,
    I have a Dell Laptop, Vista Home, Microsoft Office 2007. I use AVG
    daily. I work out of my home doing letters, spreadsheets, et cetera
    for fish companies internationally. I use Microsoft Office Outlook as
    my email as it is great to tie in the contacts, docs, info, all in
    one. Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, I booted up and tried to open
    Outlook to check my email and I got the error message of "A data file
    did not close properly the last time it was used...." I didn't know
    what the heck to do. I ran AVG, checked my registry as best I could,
    re-started, and the like. Then a week ago, it was suddenly working
    again, until yesterday. Now it is gone once again. When I click on it,
    whether in quick launch or from the program menu, it is the same
    thing. It opens and looks normal, then about 5 seconds later it
    vanishes and I get that same error message. I hope that I have given
    the right info and please don't be too harsh on me if I haven't. Any
    help would be appreciated. Oh, and the laptop was a gift from my
    internet provider (to sign a 3 year contract) and came with these
    programs already installed and I do not have any of the software
    myself. I know, stupid. Peace:)
    Joanne

    Canadian 420, Dec 24, 2008

  2. Canadian 420

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 05:34:44 -0800 (PST), Canadian 420 wrote:

    >Good Morning,
    >I have a Dell Laptop, Vista Home, Microsoft Office 2007. I use AVG
    >daily. I work out of my home doing letters, spreadsheets, et cetera
    >for fish companies internationally. I use Microsoft Office Outlook as

    You use the archive facility, have backups of your OL files/folders.
    Assuming yes :)

    Also before trying to repair a pst file, make another backup if you can.

    >my email as it is great to tie in the contacts, docs, info, all in
    >one. Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, I booted up and tried to open
    >Outlook to check my email and I got the error message of "A data file
    >did not close properly the last time it was used...." I didn't know
    >what the heck to do. I ran AVG, checked my registry as best I could,

    www.google.com search for -
    A data file did not close properly the last time it was used

    Notice I didn't put in any thing about OL in the search.

    "A data file did not close properly" when Outlook opened
    10 posts
    Visit our forum to discuss "A data file did not close properly" when
    Outlook opened. ... the last time it was used and needs to be checked
    for problems." ...
    www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2865036.php

    Outlook Public. Outllok 2007 - Data file not closed properly!!!!
    20 posts - Last post: 17 Aug
    "A data file did not close properly the last it was used and is being
    .... correct any errors (in fact every time I run scanpst.exe it finds
    http://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/mv/msg/51463/0/20/

    Outlook. data file did not close properly the last time it was used?
    Re: data file did not close properly the last time it was used? [message
    #387470 ], Wed, 30 July 2008 22:21 Go to previous message Go to next
    message ...
    http://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/387453/ - 22k -

    Microsoft Certified Professional Magazine Online | Column ...
    5 Jun 2007 ... The exact error message I see is "A data file did not
    close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for
    problems. ...
    http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?editorialsid=1791

    Dan Holme's Office and SharePoint Pro Perspectives ...
    Troubleshooting Outlook Error: "A data file did not close properly" ...
    A data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is
    being checked ...
    http://community.officesharepointpr...-affected-while-the-check-is-in-progress.aspx

    The search page for other hits, short URL is
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/728gyu

    Have a read through some of those and see if it helps.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 24, 2008

  3. Canadian 420

    Canadian 420 Guest

    On Dec 24, 6:46 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 05:34:44 -0800 (PST), Canadian 420 wrote:
    > >Good Morning,
    > >I have a Dell Laptop, Vista Home, Microsoft Office 2007. I use AVG
    > >daily. I work out of my home doing letters, spreadsheets, et cetera
    > >for fish companies internationally. I use Microsoft Office Outlook as

    > You use the archive facility, have backups of your OL files/folders.
    > Assuming yes :)
    >
    > Also before trying to repair a pst file, make another backup if you can.
    >
    > >my email as it is great to tie in the contacts, docs, info, all in
    > >one. Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, I booted up and tried to open
    > >Outlook to check my email and I got the error message of "A data file
    > >did not close properly the last time it was used...." I didn't know
    > >what the heck to do. I ran AVG, checked my registry as best I could,

    > www.google.comsearch for -
    > A data file did not close properly the last time it was used
    >
    > Notice I didn't put in any thing about OL in the search.
    >
    > "A data file did not close properly" when Outlook opened
    > 10 posts
    > Visit our forum to discuss "A data file did not close properly" when
    > Outlook opened. ... the last time it was used and needs to be checked
    > for problems." ...www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2865036.php
    >
    > Outlook Public. Outllok 2007 - Data file not closed properly!!!!
    > 20 posts - Last post: 17 Aug
    > "A data file did not close properly the last it was used and is being
    > ... correct any errors (in fact every time I run scanpst.exe it findshttp://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/mv/msg/51463/0/20/
    >
    > Outlook. data file did not close properly the last time it was used?
    > Re: data file did not close properly the last time it was used? [message
    > #387470 ], Wed, 30 July 2008 22:21 Go to previous message Go to next
    > message ...http://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/387453/- 22k -
    >
    > Microsoft Certified Professional Magazine Online | Column ...
    > 5 Jun 2007 ... The exact error message I see is "A data file did not
    > close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for
    > problems. ...http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?editorialsid=1791
    >
    > Dan Holme's Office and SharePoint Pro Perspectives ...
    > Troubleshooting Outlook Error: "A data file did not close properly" ...
    > A data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is
    > being checked ...http://community.officesharepointpro.com/blogs/danholme/archive/2007/...
    >
    > The search page for other hits, short URL ishttp://preview.tinyurl.com/728gyu
    >
    > Have a read through some of those and see if it helps.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Merry Christmas,
    Firstly, I never did Archive anything, even though the program asked
    me to on a weekly basis. I am an idiot, and not so good for my
    business either. The one good thing about me is I usually never make
    the same mistakes twice when it comes to computers and software!
    Secondly, I did check out those sites and other than what I have
    already done, and what was suggested, nothing so far has worked. I am
    freaking out still! I do appreciate you taking the time out to post
    such a great answer and the research you did for me. I am not great
    with computers, I am a typist, who is learning to work with computers.
    A lot of what the suggestions were for my problem, frankly are out of
    my area of expertise and I do not understand much of what I am
    reading. I just want my Outlook back! Thanks again.
    Joanne:)

    Canadian 420, Dec 26, 2008
  4. Canadian 420

    Canadian 420 Guest

    On Dec 25, 5:09 pm, Canadian 420 <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > Me

    > Merry Christmas,
    > Firstly, I never did Archive anything, even though the program asked
    > me to on a weekly basis. I am an idiot, and not so good for my
    > business either. The one good thing about me is I usually never make
    > the same mistakes twice when it comes to computers and software!
    > Secondly, I did check out those sites and other than what I have
    > already done, and what was suggested, nothing so far has worked. I am
    > freaking out still! I do appreciate you taking the time out to post
    > such a great answer and the research you did for me. I am not great
    > with computers, I am a typist, who is learning to work with computers.
    > A lot of what the suggestions were for my problem, frankly are out of
    > my area of expertise and I do not understand much of what I am
    > reading. I just want my Outlook back! Thanks again.

    I really need this help and I know that those of you who have this
    info are a bit sick of ppl like myself and my ignorance of stuff that
    just comes to you naturally, but if you can get past that, please
    help.
    Thanks, Joanne
    Peace:)

    Canadian 420, Dec 26, 2008
  5. Canadian 420

    Mike Easter Guest

    Canadian 420 wrote:
    >> why?

    >> Secondly, I did check out those sites and other than what I have
    >> already done, and what was suggested, nothing so far has worked.

    That's not any useful commentary on your actions taken based on the links
    posted.

    > I really need this help

    .... but you aren't adding anything to address the advice provided. I'll
    make some comments on some of the sites which Why posted earlier.

    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2865036.php
    - did you run the Inbox repair tool?
    - do you have a Google taskbar?
    - are you allowing Outlook to exit completely before you relaunch?

    http://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/mv/msg/51463/0/20/
    <this is a technically advanced forum with people like Sue Mosher and
    numerous other OL MVPs - excellent advanced advice, but 'difficult'>

    http://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/387453/
    <the help here is that someone said another link helped, ie solved the
    problem http://reddevnews.com/columns/article.aspx?editorialsid=1791
    Repairing Outlook 2007 Data File Errors>

    ** In the above magazine article, Chris Wolf describes in great detail how
    to locate your .pst files and then how to find and use the inbox repair
    tool to fix them. This is a good/excellent article for that repair
    process.

    http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?editorialsid=1791
    <this is the same article as above>

    So how can you read the information at the above links and not come back
    and tell us whether or not you have repaired the .pst files in the
    recommended fashion?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 26, 2008
  6. Canadian 420

    gregg Guest

    Canadian 420 wrote:

    > I really need this help and I know that those of you who have this
    > info are a bit sick of ppl like myself and my ignorance of stuff that
    > just comes to you naturally, but if you can get past that, please
    > help.
    > Thanks, Joanne
    > Peace:)

    You might try and look here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

    You can subscribe to an Outlook newsgroup from Microsoft and would be
    much more likely to find an answer to that specific problem. If I had an
    answer I would give it to you, but have a similar problem myself. I just
    don't often use Outlook.

    gregg, Dec 26, 2008
  7. Canadian 420

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 17:09:54 -0800 (PST), Canadian 420 wrote:

    >On Dec 24, 6:46 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 05:34:44 -0800 (PST), Canadian 420 wrote:
    >> >Good Morning,
    >> >I have a Dell Laptop, Vista Home, Microsoft Office 2007. I use AVG
    >> >daily. I work out of my home doing letters, spreadsheets, et cetera
    >> >for fish companies internationally. I use Microsoft Office Outlook as

    <snip>

    >> >Outlook to check my email and I got the error message of "A data file
    >> >did not close properly the last time it was used...." I didn't know
    >> >what the heck to do. I ran AVG, checked my registry as best I could,

    >> www.google.comsearch for -
    >> A data file did not close properly the last time it was used
    >>
    >> Notice I didn't put in any thing about OL in the search.

    <snip>

    >> The search page for other hits, short URL is http://preview.tinyurl.com/728gyu
    >>
    >> Have a read through some of those and see if it helps.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    >Merry Christmas,
    >Firstly, I never did Archive anything, even though the program asked
    >me to on a weekly basis. I am an idiot, and not so good for my

    Not really, you learned 1 thing.

    >business either. The one good thing about me is I usually never make
    >the same mistakes twice when it comes to computers and software!
    >Secondly, I did check out those sites and other than what I have
    >already done, and what was suggested, nothing so far has worked. I am

    Already done what?

    Tried which suggestions? They didn't apply, didn't work (is assumed),
    didn't work past step 5 of 10 or whatever?

    Well not having the problem I didn't read any of the info referenced.

    >freaking out still! I do appreciate you taking the time out to post
    >such a great answer and the research you did for me. I am not great
    >with computers, I am a typist, who is learning to work with computers.
    >A lot of what the suggestions were for my problem, frankly are out of
    >my area of expertise and I do not understand much of what I am

    Well, instead of the above, post more about the problem or even better a
    link to any of the suggestions you couldn't follow / understand.

    >reading. I just want my Outlook back! Thanks again.

    I assume many of the other people with the same error do as well, you
    may just have to read more.

    >Joanne:)

    Me

    why?, Dec 26, 2008
  8. Canadian 420

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 04:16:22 -0800 (PST), Canadian 420 wrote:

    >On Dec 25, 5:09 pm, Canadian 420 <> wrote:
    >> On Dec 24, 6:46 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> > You use the archive facility, have backups of your OL files/folders.
    >> > Assuming yes :)

    <snip>

    >I really need this help and I know that those of you who have this
    >info are a bit sick of ppl like myself and my ignorance of stuff that
    >just comes to you naturally, but if you can get past that, please
    >help.

    gregg posted the entry link into MS communities, here is the Google
    group link into the OL group you can have a search from

    The list of OL groups
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=usenet=microsoft.public.outlook,&
    and OL general group
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook.general/topics?lnk

    Other posts in 24HSHD,
    also mention OL / MS MVP sites

    Sue M also mentioned in another post, here are other MVP sites for OL
    http://www.mvps.org/links.html#Outlook

    >Thanks, Joanne
    >Peace:)

    Me

    why?, Dec 26, 2008
  9. Canadian 420

    Canadian 420 Guest

    On Dec 26, 7:24 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 04:16:22 -0800 (PST), Canadian 420 wrote:
    > >On Dec 25, 5:09 pm, Canadian 420 <> wrote:
    > >> On Dec 24, 6:46 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    > <snip>

    > <snip>

    > >I really need this help and I know that those of you who have this
    > >info are a bit sick of ppl like myself and my ignorance of stuff that
    > >just comes to you naturally, but if you can get past that, please
    > >help.

    > gregg posted the entry link into MS communities, here is the Google
    > group link into the OL group you can have a search from
    >
    > The list of OL groupshttp://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=usenet%3Dmicrosoft.public.out...
    > and OL general grouphttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook.general/topic...
    >
    > Other posts in 24HSHD,http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    > also mention OL / MS MVP sites
    >
    > Sue M also mentioned in another post, here are other MVP sites for OLhttp://www.mvps.org/links.html#Outlook
    >
    > >Thanks, Joanne
    > >Peace:)

    > Me

    Hello Again,
    I have not been online for a day or so due to holiday family stuff. I
    read this from you and was about to go and read those links and the
    other ones as well that were posted to see if perhaps I overlooked
    anything, or could come back to this posting and define my problems
    and what I have tried so far. Just for kicks, like I did about 20
    times per day, is click on the quick launch to see if my Outlook will
    stay longer than 5 seconds, and for no good (or bad) reason, it was
    there and is now working well again. I am too scared to power off my
    laptop as when this initially happened to me, I had lost Outlook and a
    week or so later, it was magically there, but I only lost it as I
    turned off the laptop for the evening. Now, it is back and functioning
    and I would like to know what the heck went wrong, why did it come
    back all on its own, and what can I do to make sure that this NEVER
    happens again? After it came on this morning, I got a ballon comment
    that simply stated that "The Data File check is now complete" Why did
    it, bot times, stop working for a week? Oh, and I just archived
    everything and saved all of my contacts into a Word doc, incase this
    happens again. Peace:)

    Canadian 420, Dec 29, 2008