Microsoft offers free anti-spyware/AV program!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
    and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!

    Julie

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/microsoft.antivrus.ap/index.html
    Microsoft offers free security program
    Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Microsoft Corp., whose popular Windows software is a
    frequent target for Internet viruses, is offering a free security program to
    remove the most dangerous infections from computers.

    The program, with monthly updates, is a step toward plans by Microsoft to
    sell full-blown antivirus software later this year.

    Microsoft said Thursday that consumers can download the new security program
    from the company's Web site www.microsoft.com and that updated versions will
    be offered automatically and free each month.

    It will be available starting Tuesday.

    Also being offered is a free program to remove "spyware," a category of
    irritating programs that secretly monitor the activities of Internet users
    and can cause sluggish computer performance or popup ads.

    Microsoft said the virus-removal program will not prevent computer
    infections and was never intended to replace the need for traditional
    antivirus software, such as flagship products from McAfee Inc. or Symantec
    Corp.

    But a senior Microsoft executive confirmed the company's plans to sell its
    own antivirus software, which would compete against programs from McAfee,
    Symantec and others.

    Microsoft purchased a Romanian antivirus firm, GeCAD Software Srl., for an
    undisclosed amount in 2003. Industry rivals expect Microsoft's formal entry
    into the market as early as the spring.

    "We will have a standalone antivirus product that is one of the things you
    can buy from Microsoft, but we're not announcing anything today," said Rich
    Kaplan, vice president for Microsoft's security business and technology
    unit.

    The offers of free virus and spyware removal tools were intended to convince
    consumers that Microsoft is working to improve its software's security,
    Kaplan said.

    Microsoft and other companies occasionally have offered separate programs to
    disinfect specific viruses. Microsoft promised its new removal tool will
    target a variety of infections and will be updated each month to recognize
    new ones.

    Microsoft is sensitive to criticism about the susceptibility of its Windows
    operating system software to computer viruses. It has responded by
    tightening security for its popular Outlook e-mail software and improving
    the protective firewall utility for Windows.

    But its reputation largely has hinged on consumers' effective use of
    antivirus products and other security programs outside Microsoft's control.

    Microsoft has proceeded more cautiously in recent years as it moves to
    compete against its one-time partners. European antitrust regulators last
    year fined the company euro497 million (U.S. $613 million) over charges it
    abused its software monopoly. Microsoft is operating under restrictions from
    a U.S. antitrust settlement with the Bush administration until 2007.

    Kaplan encouraged consumers to buy updated antivirus software from vendors
    such as Symantec and McAfee. He also expressed confidence that an industry
    organization formed to share details between Microsoft and leading antivirus
    companies about virus outbreaks would survive Microsoft's decision to
    compete directly against those same businesses.

    Antivirus vendors have warned investors about the fallout as Microsoft
    enters the market. McAfee, for example, said in its most recent annual
    report that its own products could become "obsolete and unmarketable" if
    Microsoft were to include antivirus protection in Windows software.

    A Symantec executive, Vincent Weafer, said Microsoft's success as an
    antivirus company at Symantec's expense was not guaranteed. Weafer noted
    that some leading security companies have decades of specialized experience
    and skilled researchers.

    "This is an area we certainly think we can differentiate ourselves from
    Microsoft," Weafer said. "We've worked hard over the years to build trust
    with customers."

    Microsoft disclosed last month that it planned to offer software to remove
    spyware programs that are secretly running on computers. But in a shift from
    past practice, Microsoft said it may charge consumers for future versions of
    the new protective technology, which Microsoft acquired by buying a small
    New York software firm.

    Kaplan said the free version of Microsoft's new spyware-removal software
    will expire July 31 and pricing for future versions is still undecided.
    Rival anti-spyware tools, such as Lavasoft Inc.'s popular Ad-Aware product,
    offer similar functions to Microsoft's, and many are free.
    Julie P., Jan 6, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    edard Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
    > and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    >
    > Julie
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/microsoft.antivrus.ap/index.html
    > Microsoft offers free security program
    > Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT

    (...)
    > Microsoft disclosed last month that it planned to offer software to remove
    > spyware programs that are secretly running on computers. But in a shift
    > from past practice, Microsoft said it may charge consumers for future
    > versions of the new protective technology, which Microsoft acquired by
    > buying a small New York software firm.
    >
    > Kaplan said the free version of Microsoft's new spyware-removal software
    > will expire July 31 and pricing for future versions is still undecided.
    > Rival anti-spyware tools, such as Lavasoft Inc.'s popular Ad-Aware
    > product, offer similar functions to Microsoft's, and many are free.

    Sounds like M$ is going to let us beta test their stuff then when we are
    committed they start charging for it. I would also bet that you have to
    remove any "anti-..." software to install theirs. It would put a better
    taste in my mouth if they put their resources into making their products
    more secure instead of offering to sell us a fix. That is why I advocate
    and use Linux.

    To answer your question Julie, let someone else go first and listen to what
    is being said after they have a chance to try it.
    HTH
    edard, Jan 6, 2005

  3. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
    >and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    >
    >Julie

    I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "edard" <> wrote in message

    > Sounds like M$ is going to let us beta test their stuff then when we are
    > committed they start charging for it. I would also bet that you have to
    > remove any "anti-..." software to install theirs. It would put a better
    > taste in my mouth if they put their resources into making their products
    > more secure instead of offering to sell us a fix. That is why I advocate
    > and use Linux.
    >
    > To answer your question Julie, let someone else go first and listen to
    > what
    > is being said after they have a chance to try it.
    > HTH

    Ok, will do! It probably is a band-width hog anyway.
    Julie P., Jan 6, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in message
    >I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    > 6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <>
    > screamed from behind the mulberry bush:
    >
    >>Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
    >>and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    >>
    >>Julie
    >>

    > I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.

    ok, so that's one vote in favor of it then. :)

    J.
    Julie P., Jan 6, 2005
  6. On 06 Jan 2005, Julie P. scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
    > Ad-Aware and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    >
    > Julie
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/microsoft.antivrus.ap/index.html

    snip ad

    By the time M$ gets through with it, it'll probably have so many
    security holes in it, it'll be worse than the stuff it's supposed to
    remove.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-
    The Old Sourdough, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Muppet Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >>I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    >> 6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <>
    >> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
    >>>Ad-Aware
    >>>and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    >>>
    >>>Julie
    >>>

    >> I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.
    >>

    > ok, so that's one vote in favor of it then. :)
    >
    > J.

    It's worth downloading.It found a couple of pieces of scumware that
    Spybot,Adaware and Spywareblaster missed.
    At the risk of being flamed,it's not bad at all.
    Muppet, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    RedBack Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:45:39 -0000, "Muppet" <> wrote:

    >"Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>>I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    >>> 6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <>
    >>> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >>> I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.
    >>>

    >> ok, so that's one vote in favor of it then. :)
    >>
    >> J.
    >>

    >It's worth downloading.It found a couple of pieces of scumware that
    >Spybot,Adaware and Spywareblaster missed.
    >At the risk of being flamed,it's not bad at all.

    The first thing you should take note of is this is a BETA
    program...are you prepare to take reasonability if it stuffs up your
    system.
    That said I have downloaded it and it seems to be working OK on my
    system XP Pro...found a couple that Ad-Aware & S&D missed.

    Remember it's your choice so don't start complaining if something
    stuffs up.
    If you're still Interested...you can download it from here.

    RedBack
    RedBack, Jan 7, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    Retiredff Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
    > Ad-Aware and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!

    Well, the people here like it-
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/1105022593/1/view

    And, here are some remarks (not the exact words) in the EULA:

    'This free version will expire on 31st July 2005 or until a commercial
    version is released, whichever comes first, without further warning.'

    And:

    'We also may not release a commercial version of the software.'
    Retiredff, Jan 7, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    Old Gringo Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
> [...]
    > and skilled researchers.
    >
    > "This is an area we certainly think we can differentiate ourselves from
    > Microsoft," Weafer said. "We've worked hard over the years to build trust
    > with customers."
    >
    > Microsoft disclosed last month that it planned to offer software to remove
    > spyware programs that are secretly running on computers. But in a shift from
    > past practice, Microsoft said it may charge consumers for future versions of
    > the new protective technology, which Microsoft acquired by buying a small
    > New York software firm.
    >
    > Kaplan said the free version of Microsoft's new spyware-removal software
    > will expire July 31 and pricing for future versions is still undecided.
    > Rival anti-spyware tools, such as Lavasoft Inc.'s popular Ad-Aware product,
    > offer similar functions to Microsoft's, and many are free.

    As it only supports Win 2000 up, I believe it's a scam.

    --
    Old Gringo George

    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    | "edard" <> wrote in message
    |
    | > Sounds like M$ is going to let us beta test their stuff then when we are
    | > committed they start charging for it. I would also bet that you have to
    | > remove any "anti-..." software to install theirs. It would put a better
    | > taste in my mouth if they put their resources into making their products
    | > more secure instead of offering to sell us a fix. That is why I
    advocate
    | > and use Linux.
    | >
    | > To answer your question Julie, let someone else go first and listen to
    | > what
    | > is being said after they have a chance to try it.
    | > HTH
    |

    | Ok, will do! It probably is a band-width hog anyway.

    More MS bloat-ware...you may be right there <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jan 7, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    | Julie P. wrote:
    | > Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
    Ad-Aware
    | > and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    | >
    | > Julie
    | >
    | > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/microsoft.antivrus.ap/index.html
    | > Microsoft offers free security program
    | > Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT
    | >
    | > WASHINGTON (AP) -- Microsoft Corp., whose popular Windows software is a
    | > frequent target for Internet viruses, is offering a free security
    program to
    | > remove the most dangerous infections from computers.
    | >
    | > The program, with monthly updates, is a step toward plans by Microsoft
    | > sell full-blown antivirus software later this year.

    <SNIPPED>

    | As it only supports Win 2000 up, I believe it's a scam.

    Well, not really, since MS is ending support the older operating systems.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:56:03 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    |> <SNIPPED>
    |> | >
    |> | As it only supports Win 2000 up, I believe it's a scam.
    |> |
    |> Well, not really, since MS is ending support the older operating systems.

    That's the weird part, in the setup.ini it reads:

    [SupportOS]
    Win95=1
    Win98=1
    WinME=1
    WinNT4=1
    Win2K=1

    But the program needs IE6 to install :}

    --
    http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=2774728&ClientType=Printable
    , Jan 7, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message

    ||> <SNIPPED>

    ||> |
    ||> Well, not really, since MS is ending support the older operating
    systems.

    | That's the weird part, in the setup.ini it reads:
    |
    | [SupportOS]
    | Win95=1
    | Win98=1
    | WinME=1
    | WinNT4=1
    | Win2K=1
    |
    | But the program needs IE6 to install :}

    Seems MS can't make up their mind <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    Old Gringo Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > | Julie P. wrote:
    > | > Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
    > Ad-Aware
    > | > and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    > | >
    > | > Julie
    > | >
    > | > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/microsoft.antivrus.ap/index.html
    > | > Microsoft offers free security program
    > | > Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT
    > | >
    > | > WASHINGTON (AP) -- Microsoft Corp., whose popular Windows software is a
    > | > frequent target for Internet viruses, is offering a free security
    > program to
    > | > remove the most dangerous infections from computers.
    > | >
    > | > The program, with monthly updates, is a step toward plans by Microsoft
    > | > sell full-blown antivirus software later this year.
    > | >
    > <SNIPPED>
    > | >
    > | As it only supports Win 2000 up, I believe it's a scam.
    > |
    > Well, not really, since MS is ending support the older operating systems.

    Not to be misunderstood, I thought Dos 6 was a scam. :)

    Old Gringo, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Billh Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
    > and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    >
    > Julie
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/microsoft.antivrus.ap/index.html
    > Microsoft offers free security program
    > Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT

    snip

    In case anyone missed it this was a top rated pay for spy removal program
    that ms bought and slapped a new name on so it should be good to go. The
    name was Giant or so such thing.
    Billh, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:47:10 -0500, "Billh" <> wrote:

    |> "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    |> > Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
    |> > and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    |> >
    |> > Julie
    |> >
    |> > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/microsoft.antivrus.ap/index.html
    |> > Microsoft offers free security program
    |> > Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT
    |> snip
    |>
    |> In case anyone missed it this was a top rated pay for spy removal program
    |> that ms bought and slapped a new name on so it should be good to go. The
    |> name was Giant or so such thing.

    And Suprise! Someone else own'd it :) (or part of)

    http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/44857/Windows_44857.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/4khae

    --
    http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=2774728&ClientType=Printable
    , Jan 7, 2005
  18. Julie P.

    Gort Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
    > and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    >
    > Julie
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/microsoft.antivrus.ap/index.html
    > Microsoft offers free security program
    > Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT
    >
    > WASHINGTON (AP) -- Microsoft Corp., whose popular Windows software is a
    > frequent target for Internet viruses, is offering a free security program to
    > remove the most dangerous infections from computers.
    >
    > The program, with monthly updates, is a step toward plans by Microsoft to
    > sell full-blown antivirus software later this year.
    >
    > Microsoft said Thursday that consumers can download the new security program
    > from the company's Web site www.microsoft.com and that updated versions will
    > be offered automatically and free each month.
    >
    > It will be available starting Tuesday.
    >
    > Also being offered is a free program to remove "spyware," a category of
    > irritating programs that secretly monitor the activities of Internet users
    > and can cause sluggish computer performance or popup ads.
    >
    > Microsoft said the virus-removal program will not prevent computer
    > infections and was never intended to replace the need for traditional
    > antivirus software, such as flagship products from McAfee Inc. or Symantec
    > Corp.
    >
    > But a senior Microsoft executive confirmed the company's plans to sell its
    > own antivirus software, which would compete against programs from McAfee,
    > Symantec and others.
    >
    > Microsoft purchased a Romanian antivirus firm, GeCAD Software Srl., for an
    > undisclosed amount in 2003. Industry rivals expect Microsoft's formal entry
    > into the market as early as the spring.
    >
    > "We will have a standalone antivirus product that is one of the things you
    > can buy from Microsoft, but we're not announcing anything today," said Rich
    > Kaplan, vice president for Microsoft's security business and technology
    > unit.
    >
    > The offers of free virus and spyware removal tools were intended to convince
    > consumers that Microsoft is working to improve its software's security,
    > Kaplan said.
    >
    > Microsoft and other companies occasionally have offered separate programs to
    > disinfect specific viruses. Microsoft promised its new removal tool will
    > target a variety of infections and will be updated each month to recognize
    > new ones.

    ( SNIP )

    Are you willing to trust MONTHLY updates for virus protection ?
    From Microsoft ?

    inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
    how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
    Gort, Jan 7, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    Scrote Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:
    >> I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    >> 6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <>
    >> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
    >>> Ad-Aware and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Julie
    >>>

    >> I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.

    I agree. Regardless of the other comments further down the thread, why
    look a gift horse in the mouth? This system runs XP SP2, Kaspersky,
    Spyware blaster, Spybot S & D, Adaware & a hostsfile. The M$ Antispyware
    found several items NOT found by the others.(and no I dont spend my time
    on the pr0n sites. I sincerely hope that thay do not charge for this
    addition in the future, I think most people would be pissed off if they
    had to buy an aftersale airfilter for their car, just to keep the crud
    out of the engine.

    My 02p

    --
    Most fools think they are only ignorant.
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    Scrote, Jan 7, 2005
  20. "Scrote" <> wrote in message
    > Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:
    >>> I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    >>> 6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <>
    >>> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >>> I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.

    > I agree. Regardless of the other comments further down the thread, why
    > look a gift horse in the mouth? This system runs XP SP2, Kaspersky,
    > Spyware blaster, Spybot S & D, Adaware & a hostsfile. The M$ Antispyware
    > found several items NOT found by the others.(and no I dont spend my time
    > on the pr0n sites. I sincerely hope that thay do not charge for this
    > addition in the future, I think most people would be pissed off if they
    > had to buy an aftersale airfilter for their car, just to keep the crud
    > out of the engine.
    >
    > My 02p
    >
    > --
    > Most fools think they are only ignorant.
    > -- Benjamin Franklin

    Hi There,

    I fully agree with you and those in favour of this thing. Same for me, works
    flawless and has found several thingies which weren't find by the other
    ones.

    The thing which I have doubts about is the fact that they will charge or
    not. Don't forget they are having an awfull lot of legal trouble, especially
    in Europe, by "bundling" Media Player with Windows. From that perspective,
    it's more likely that they charge, even a small fee, just to avoid any issue
    with competition laws.

    I also think it should be part of Windows.

    GS
    GrandSchtroumpf, Jan 7, 2005