    I cannot connect to my Oracle 10g Database. What is my option ?

    thanks
    -niladri

    niladri chatterjee, May 4, 2009

  2. Re: Microsoft ODBC for Oracle, Driver is NOT listed

    niladri chatterjee wrote:

    >Ref: O/S Windows XP Pro X64 SP 2 (Ver 5.2 Build 3790)
    >
    >Driver comes with the OS itself. I cannot see "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle"
    >driver - when I click ADD from ODBC Data Source Administrator, to add a
    >ORACLE data source.

    Is this for a 32-bit or 64-bit client application?

    You need to run the 32-bit ODBC Administrator (in the SysWOW64 folder) to
    manage 32-bit ODBC settings. The default ODBC Administrator accessed from
    Administrative Tools is 64-bit, and only shows 64-bit drivers (for which
    there are a very limited OOB selection).

    Note that both versions of ODBC Administrator have the same executable
    name (ending in 32!).

    If it's a 64-bit client application, then you need to contact Oracle for a
    driver.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 5, 2009

  3. Re: Microsoft ODBC for Oracle, Driver is NOT listed

    Steve ,

    On the top of my posting in Ref: area I crystal clear I mentioned X64. Is is
    32 bit or 64bit ? ?

    I know how to handle 32 bit. For 64 bit, do I need to contact Oracle ? I
    thought driver comes with the OS itself. OnlyDriver listed is SQL Server 2000.

    -niladri

    niladri chatterjee, May 5, 2009
  4. Re: Microsoft ODBC for Oracle, Driver is NOT listed

    niladri chatterjee wrote:

    >Steve ,
    >
    >On the top of my posting in Ref: area I crystal clear I mentioned X64. Is
    >is
    >32 bit or 64bit ? ?

    Windows (XP/Vista/Server) x64 has *two* sets of ODBC drivers, since it can
    run two kinds of application (32-bit and 64-bit). 32-bit applications need
    32-bit ODBC drivers, and 64-bit applications use 64-bit ODBC drivers.

    >I know how to handle 32 bit. For 64 bit, do I need to contact Oracle ? I
    >thought driver comes with the OS itself. OnlyDriver listed is SQL Server
    >2000.

    The only included 64-bit ODBC driver is for MS SQL Server. There are quite
    a few more for 32-bit ODBC (Jet, MSSQL, Oracle among others).

    If your application is 32-bit, you need to configure a 32-bit ODBC source,
    and for that you need to run ODBC Administrator from the SysWOW64 folder,
    rather than from Administrative Tools (since the ODBC Administrator there
    is 64-bit only). There is a 32-bit ODBC driver for Oracle present OOB, but
    Oracle may have a better one anyway.

    If your application is 64-bit, Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC)
    is the right way to go, and if the driver isn't there, you'll definitely
    need to contact Oracle for a suitable driver.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 5, 2009
  5. niladri chatterjee

    Lucky Guest

    Re: Microsoft ODBC for Oracle, Driver is NOT listed

    not sure this work for u ....
    i step is execute %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and test its is ok and
    don't close odbc program, than running crystal report.

    Otherwise, maybe to make services for program
    "%windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe "............but I never to try!!

    Lucky, Jun 1, 2009