Microsoft must be scared stiff of ODF format

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
    days ago.

    The most prolific posters to this thread (89 postings so far) are:

    Bruce Sinclair 11 - supports open formats
    Whoisthis 10 - anti-open source / ODF attitude
    Impossible 8 - ditto
    Sam 9 - concerned with Microsoft lockin
    Allistar 7 - Linux supporter
    Peter 6 - concerned with Microsoft monopoly
    Peterwn 5 - concerned to raise awareness of standards issue / Linux
    supporter
    Lawrence D'Oliverio 4 - against Microsoft stance

    These people account for 60 of the 89 postings so far.

    What is interesting is the almighty barrage of postings from the likes
    of
    Whoisthis and Impossible when options involving Microsoft and other
    alternatives are discussed. Granted they do the odd posting on other
    topics,
    but these tend to be rare.

    This is why Microsoft must be very, very afraid when it gets its
    shills to
    argue back on mant postiongs it sees as adverse.

    If I have not probably indicated 'attitudes' in the brief comment
    on each poster, my apologies.

    Just to re-iterate, organisations need to carefully 'road map' their
    options for the future with the impending upheaval in file formats.
    While the easy option has been to stick with Microsoft in the last
    decade the time has come to consider wether they should continue
    to be 'locked in'.

    People, especially those with no option to buy shrinkwrap Microsoft
    products at full retail price, should not be forced into accepting
    proprietary formats from major organisations now that a genuine ISO
    standard
    format has been defined and acceoted.
    peterwn, Oct 2, 2007

  2. peterwn

    impossible Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
    > days ago.

    Classic troll. Now let's see who bites.
    impossible, Oct 2, 2007

  3. In message <P4kMi.113805$Xa3.43129@attbi_s22>, impossible wrote:

    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
    >> days ago.

    > Classic troll. Now let's see who bites.

    You did!
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 2, 2007
  4. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 2, 4:48 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    > >I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
    > > days ago.

    > Classic troll. Now let's see who bites.

    Well, my Office Software File Formats thread had had 135 bites so far
    (excluding my five postings) and an awful lot of them are yours.
    peterwn, Oct 2, 2007
  5. peterwn

    impossible Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 2, 4:48 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    >> >I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
    >> > days ago.

    >> Classic troll. Now let's see who bites.

    > Well, my Office Software File Formats thread had had 135 bites so far
    > (excluding my five postings) and an awful lot of them are yours.

    I see, so all your posts are trolls then. You must be so proud.
    impossible, Oct 2, 2007
  6. peterwn

    thingy Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    8><----

    > This is why Microsoft must be very, very afraid when it gets its
    > shills to
    > argue back on mant postiongs it sees as adverse.

    If you look at some history, it repeats itself...Remember Windows 1.0
    and 2.1? bloody awful....Windows 3.0, OK, 3.11 far better, 95 half way
    decent, NT4, bit dodgy....win2k, working well, XP good, Vista, well LOL
    a dodgy dog......

    All during this time people bought Windows as it was just about good
    enough and significantly cheaper to buy and ran on cheap x86 boxes as
    opposed to arm and leg RISC....OS2 was better, yet it was too late and
    too overpriced, IBM did what MS is doing now and lost it, as RISC
    vendors did before IBM when against Windows.

    What is repeating itself now? in the OS space Linux is cheaper and
    generally easily a match for MS in the server space...to such an extent
    that picking the OS comes down to best vendor support for the app of
    your choice or personal preference for that OS, mostly it does not
    matter too much either way...

    So what makes people want to choose MS apart from this? answer nothing,
    so MS has to lock you in or you may wander....

    This competition with a cheaper product was fine for MS 10 years ago
    because it was the cheapest....now its no longer the cheapest and this
    problem is repeating itself for databases and eventually the desktop....

    Hence attempts to de-rail ODF, it has to succeed now in the lockin with
    Office 2007, if it does organisations are locked in for
    years....Otherwise bang goes one of its biggest money earners and lets
    face it in terms of revenue MS needs to have Office and OS highly
    profitable because anything else it does looses money hands over
    fist....in fact shed loads of it....

    At the end of the day the shills in here and elsewhere wont count for
    much and neither will what the Linux advocates say...Competent CIOs and
    businesses will make sensible decisions and on average prosper better
    than ones that dont, its their funeral IMHO.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 2, 2007
  7. peterwn

    Cadae Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
    > days ago.
    >
    > The most prolific posters to this thread (89 postings so far) are:

    Troll, troll, troll your boat,
    Troll it down the stream
    Belts off, Trousers down,
    Isn't life a scream - OY!

    PC
    Cadae, Oct 3, 2007
  8. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 2, 3:02 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
    > days ago.
    >
    > The most prolific posters to this thread (89 postings so far) are:

    There have been 175 postings so far.

    Well known Microsoft shills Whoisthis and Impossible seem to anxious
    to have the 'last word' on pretty well every other posting. Mmmmmm.
    peterwn, Oct 3, 2007