  1. Is there a way to stop this program from starting with the computer?
    I've used msconfig to turn it off, but it still keeps showing up. Is
    there some way to shut it off for good?
    PowerPost2000, Jan 1, 2004

  2. PowerPost2000

    HamMan Guest

    "PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a way to stop this program from starting with the computer?
    > I've used msconfig to turn it off, but it still keeps showing up. Is
    > there some way to shut it off for good?

    no, its integrated into windows. disabling it will cause the system to stop
    booting.
    HamMan, Jan 1, 2004

  3. PowerPost2000

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 20:14:50 -0000, in
    <bt1v3v$fte$>
    "HamMan" <matt**removeme**@hammedia.co.uk@deathtoallspammers> scrawled:

    >"PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a way to stop this program from starting with the computer?
    >> I've used msconfig to turn it off, but it still keeps showing up. Is
    >> there some way to shut it off for good?
    >>

    >no, its integrated into windows. disabling it will cause the system to stop
    >booting.

    Don't talk rubbish.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 1, 2004
  4. PowerPost2000

    °Mike° Guest

    Copy/paste the following into notepad and save it as
    a *.reg file. Merge the file into your registry by
    double clicking on it. Note that EVERYTHING between
    the [ and ] MUST be one line only.

    ***** <-- omit this line
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Messenger]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

    ***** <-- omit this line

    Reboot.

    Comments:
    Start of Messenger service (broadcast messenger).
    Value can be:
    0x0 - Boot
    0x1 - System
    0x2 - Automatic
    0x3 - Manual
    0x4 - Disabled.

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 14:58:53 -0500, in
    <>
    PowerPost2000 scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jan 1, 2004
  5. PowerPost2000

    jeroen Guest

    In article <>,
    says...s,
    > Is there a way to stop this program from starting with the computer?
    > I've used msconfig to turn it off, but it still keeps showing up. Is
    > there some way to shut it off for good?

    yes, services on your control panel, stop it and set it to manual start.
    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    jeroen, Jan 2, 2004
  6. PowerPost2000

    Irony Alert Guest

    "jeroen" <4all.nl> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...s,
    > > Is there a way to stop this program from starting with the computer?
    > > I've used msconfig to turn it off, but it still keeps showing up. Is
    > > there some way to shut it off for good?
    > >

    > yes, services on your control panel, stop it and set it to manual start.

    That didn't work for me, it kept starting. Even tried manually changing the
    setting buried in the registery (I have misplaced the Knowledge Base
    citation that shows how to do this). I finally renamed C:\Program
    Files\Messenger\MSMSGSIN.EXE as C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGSIN._XE.

    Microsoft seemed awfully determined to start it & keep the damned thing
    running until I renamed it.

    --

    The Usenet Irony Alert
    Serving alt.fan.art-bell since 2003

    Felony case "02-CR-0617 9/1/03: Oregon Department of
    Justice V. Raymond Ronald Karczewski, Defendant.

    "The defendant's name is NOT copyrighted."
    Irony Alert, Jan 2, 2004
  7. PowerPost2000

    Jay Guest

    > Is there a way to stop this program from starting with the computer?
    > I've used msconfig to turn it off, but it still keeps showing up. Is
    > there some way to shut it off for good?

    http://blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm has some great info.

    http://mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml is a good msconfig like gui. Works very
    well. I wouldn't delete stuff with it until you disable it first. It even
    has a recycle bin of its own. give it a look see.
    Jay, Jan 2, 2004