Microsoft may delay Windows Vista again

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 3, 2006.

  1. http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN02271704

    SEATTLE, May 2 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp.'s long- awaited release of the
    upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system will likely be delayed
    again by at least three months, research group Gartner Inc. (IT.N: Quote,
    Profile, Research) said on Tuesday.

    The research note, released to clients on Monday, said the new Windows
    Vista operating system is too complex to be able to meet Microsoft's
    targeted November release for volume license customers and January launch
    for retail consumers.

    A Microsoft spokeswoman said the company disagreed with the Gartner report
    and it was still on track to meet its launch dates.

    Vista is the first major overhaul of its operating system, which sits on
    90 percent of the world's computers and accounts for nearly a third of
    Microsoft's total revenue, since Microsoft rolled out Windows XP nearly
    five years ago.

    Microsoft originally targeted a 2005 launch for the new Windows, then
    pushed the release out to 2006 before announcing in March that Vista would
    again be delayed to improve the product's quality.

    Gartner targets a Windows Vista release in the April-June quarter of 2007,
    nine to 12 months after Microsoft conducts a second major test, or "beta,"
    release for Vista during the current quarter.

    "Microsoft still wants to get it out as soon as possible, but slipping
    from January to March is nowhere near as bad as slipping from shipping
    before the holidays to after the holidays," a group of Gartner analysts
    wrote in the report.

    Gartner said Windows XP took five months to go from a second test release
    to the start of production, but the magnitude of technological improvement
    in Vista is closer to Windows 2000, which took 16 months between the
    second test and production.

    Once production starts, it usually takes between six- to eight-weeks for
    PC manufacturers to load the operating system onto new computers, Gartner
    said.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 3, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN02271704
    >
    > SEATTLE, May 2 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp.'s long- awaited release of the
    > upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system will likely be delayed
    > again by at least three months, research group Gartner Inc. (IT.N: Quote,
    > Profile, Research) said on Tuesday.

    You believe the crap Gartner publishes? I once (yes, once!) read one of
    their publications given as supplementary notes in my post-graduate
    studies. It was at best total rubbish IMO, so I'd be unlikely to take
    what they say any more seriously than what Microsoft tells us.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, May 3, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN02271704
    >
    > SEATTLE, May 2 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp.'s long- awaited release of the
    > upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system will likely be delayed
    > again by at least three months, research group Gartner Inc. (IT.N: Quote,
    > Profile, Research) said on Tuesday.

    What took you so long to post this?

    Lucky I've got an RSS reader as a backup.

    -=rjh=-, May 3, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN02271704

    >> SEATTLE, May 2 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp.'s long- awaited release of the
    >> upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system will likely be delayed
    >> again by at least three months, research group Gartner Inc. (IT.N: Quote,
    >> Profile, Research) said on Tuesday.

    > What took you so long to post this?
    >
    > Lucky I've got an RSS reader as a backup.

    Damn, and here I was relying on Slashdot!
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, May 3, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN02271704
    >
    > SEATTLE, May 2 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp.'s long- awaited release of the
    > upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system will likely be delayed
    > again by at least three months, research group Gartner Inc. (IT.N: Quote,
    > Profile, Research) said on Tuesday.
    >
    > The research note, released to clients on Monday, said the new Windows
    > Vista operating system is too complex to be able to meet Microsoft's
    > targeted November release for volume license customers and January launch
    > for retail consumers.

    IMHO the assumptions this article makes are incorrect. Have you read
    the Gartner article? It mostly makes these assumptions because of the
    timelines in the Windows 2000 gap between beta and launch and assumes
    they will be the same in Vista.

    The engineering and feedback with Vista is better that previous Windows
    OSes - Microsoft has delivered test versions earlier than ever before
    to incorporate timely and relevant feedback faster.

    Also Microsoft has delivered a feature complete version of the OS
    earlier in the product development process than with any other Windows
    version. Because of this the focus is now on performance,
    fit-and-finish and other system quality measures sooner.

    Certainly saying Vista will slip because of the timeline between
    Windows 2000 beta and RTM, and comparing those to Vista is silly
    IMHO...

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Paul Thurrott of Windows IT Pro slams Gartner Report
    Microsoft Is Not Delaying Vista Again as Beta 2 Looms

    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/50190/50190.html

    "A Gartner research note this week warns that Microsoft "may" delay
    Windows Vista another two months. But in addition to an official denial

    from Microsoft, my sources say that the Gartner warning is off base.

    Here's what really happened. Earlier this year, Microsoft granted
    Gartner unprecedented access to its internal processes, apparently in
    an effort to prove that the software giant was, in fact, on track to
    ship Vista by the end of 2006 as promised. Gartner, however, concluded
    differently and said that Microsoft would likely delay Vista because
    it's too complex to meet the scheduled late-2006 completion date.
    Gartner says it believes Microsoft won't be able to ship Vista until
    sometime between April and June 2007. Although the software giant
    quickly disagreed with this conclusion, it has been widely reported as
    fact.

    Aside from my internal Microsoft sources, my own experience covering
    Microsoft suggests that Gartner is incorrect. According to Gartner, the

    reason for the delay is that Microsoft will soon ship Vista Beta 2 and
    the company will need 9 to 12 months after Beta 2 to complete the
    product. Windows XP, Gartner notes, took 5 months between Beta 2 and
    its final release, but Vista is more complex than XP. Gartner says that

    from a complexity standpoint, Vista is more comparable to Windows 2000,

    which required 16 months to progress from Beta 2 to the final version.

    But that comparison is ludicrous. When Microsoft shipped Win2K Beta 2
    in 1998, Win2K was still called Windows NT 5.0 and the product was
    horribly off track. Within months, the company assigned Brian Valentine

    to take over Win2K development, and he helped guide the project to its
    completion a year later. Vista today is much further along than was NT
    5.0/Win2K Beta 2. And it's much closer to the shipping version of the
    product than the Gartner report suggests.

    Granted, predicting another Vista delay is a fairly safe bet. Microsoft

    has already delayed Vista several times, and delaying it again from
    January 2007 to April or June 2007 won't make a big difference from a
    sales perspective. And after all, Microsoft has said Vista was on track

    before and then delayed the product. But nothing at present suggests
    that Microsoft is ready to delay Vista yet again. While Gartner could
    very well have seen something at Microsoft that caused it to believe
    the company is ready to delay the product once more, the aforementioned

    comparison with Win2K is bogus.

    In related news, Microsoft continues work on Vista build 5381, which
    will be finalized as Beta 2 on May 22. Attendees of the Windows
    Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC) 2006 will receive Vista Beta 2

    on DVD, and Microsoft plans to seed the build with testers, other
    partners, and millions of consumers via a widely distributed Community
    Preview Program (CPP) in the following days. If you've been waiting for

    a chance to get your hands on Vista, that day is finally coming."

    Nathan Mercer, May 4, 2006
  6. On Thu, 04 May 2006 05:56:14 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > The engineering and feedback with Vista is better that previous Windows
    > OSes

    Micro$oft produces only the one Operating System. IT is Micro$oft
    WindowsNT.

    It has, however, released multiple iterations over the years with varying
    refinements, tweeks, twists, breakages, and degrees of completeness.

    The only other OS it used to produce was M$-DOS (a re-badged Q-DOS which
    was a plagerization of CP/M) but that OS is no longer under active
    development, and in fact is no longer supported by Micro$oft.

    What is known as Windoze Vi$ta will be the nearest thing to a completely
    new OS that Micro$oft has released in over ten years, and yet it is not.

    The "engineering" of Vi$ta is to the same buggy standard that Micro$oft
    is known for, because it is pulled from the same code tree.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 5, 2006
  7. On Thu, 04 May 2006 05:56:14 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Certainly saying Vista will slip because of the timeline between
    > Windows 2000 beta and RTM, and comparing those to Vista is silly
    > IMHO...

    It is not "silly" - it is predicting that Micro$oft will continue in the
    pattern that it has followed for all its software - namely, lie to its
    developers and lie to the public, and release buggy PPoS for no reason
    other than marketing purposes.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 5, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Rev. 9 11 Guest

    On , , Fri, 05 May 2006 19:47:09 +1200, Re: Microsoft may delay
    Windows Vista again, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 04 May 2006 05:56:14 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> The engineering and feedback with Vista is better that previous Windows
    >> OSes

    >Micro$oft produces only the one Operating System. IT is Micro$oft
    >WindowsNT.

    You unspeakably silly little man.
    You are talking about another company completely. Microsoft is
    the company that is producing Vista, not "Micro$oft"

    >It has, however, released multiple iterations over the years with varying
    >refinements, tweeks, twists, breakages, and degrees of completeness.

    You really are a imbecile.

    >The only other OS it used to produce was M$-DOS (a re-badged Q-DOS which
    >was a plagerization of CP/M) but that OS is no longer under active
    >development, and in fact is no longer supported by Micro$oft.

    Jealousy will get you nowhere.

    >What is known as Windoze Vi$ta will be the nearest thing to a completely
    >new OS that Micro$oft has released in over ten years, and yet it is not.

    You don't understand the first thing about the use of the English
    language David, do you?

    >The "engineering" of Vi$ta is to the same buggy standard that Micro$oft
    >is known for, because it is pulled from the same code tree.

    Microsoft is not releasing "Vi$ta", your other company
    "Micro$oft" may be though.

    ---

    Rev. 9 11, May 7, 2006