    sites aren’t suddenly going to break when users upgrade from version 3.0 to
    version 3.5 of Firefox or whatever.

    <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/can-microsoft-really-build-a-better-browser.ars>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 24, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-24, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Looks like every Web browser developer has a tradition of bringing out a
    > steady stream of incremental feature updates. Everyone, that is, except
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > That company still thinks of each version of its browser as a “platformâ€
    > that developers have to specifically “supportâ€. Whereas the other vendors
    > have grasped the fact that, if you stick carefully to standards, then Web
    > sites aren’t suddenly going to break when users upgrade from version 3.0 to
    > version 3.5 of Firefox or whatever.
    >
    ><http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/can-microsoft-really-build-a-better-browser.ars>

    There is also the question of that word so often used by the spin folks
    awhile back, flexibility. The cell phone is no longer a cell, it is dividing
    very fast and is becoming smart. The software to put on these smart and
    smarter phones, and other appliciances which will become smart, is the big
    interesting point.

    So Robert Shingledecker keeps annoucing on distrowatch his Tiny Core system
    at 10MB in size. Has to make one wonder what Ms Windows Tiny Core is in
    size.

    OSS is very flexible, it may not win the desktop war but it is really ready
    to fight the: I have a xyz and it does this and that. It is mobile.

    I read this week that some chap at Google reckoned the desktop will be dead
    in 3 years.

    Gordon, Mar 25, 2010