    protocol, the better.

    If they don’t first join the long, ever-growing list of companies bought out
    by bigger companies and then shut down ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 26, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    > Skype is breaking off the agreement that allows it to interoperate with
    > Asterisk
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/microsoft-skype-breaks-open-source-partnership/1111>.
    > But the reason they give is that they’re going to concentrate on direct SIP
    > support. Which would be great. The sooner they get rid of their proprietary
    > protocol, the better.
    >
    > If they don’t first join the long, ever-growing list of companies bought out
    > by bigger companies and then shut down ...

    I know someone who bought that skype stuff for asterisk.

    Shit is putting it mildly for what they found with it. IMO if MS make
    direct sip connectivity then that will be a massive win for the
    platform. That and get seemless live messenger to skype working and I
    would be very worried if I was the other players for dirt cheap voip
    services.

    Richard, May 26, 2011

  3. In message <irl9lt$o0b$>, Richard wrote:

    > IMO if MS make direct sip connectivity then that will be a massive win for
    > the platform.

    Note that Microsoft already had their “Office Communications Server†(now
    renamed “Lyncâ€) which they had been trying to sell for some years. Another
    question about the Skype acquisition is what it will mean for Lync: is the
    latter now obsolete? Or will they be combined somehow?

    I think Lync already supports SIP. So it’s not clear why Skype should add
    anything to this, given it is not SIP-based to begin with.

    > That and get seemless live messenger to skype working and I
    > would be very worried if I was the other players for dirt cheap voip
    > services.

    First Microsoft have to demonstrate some cohesion of vision among this
    poorly-integrated menagerie of products.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 26, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    > Skype is breaking off the agreement that allows it to interoperate with
    > Asterisk
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/microsoft-skype-breaks-open-source-partnership/1111>.
    > But the reason they give is that they’re going to concentrate on direct SIP
    > support. Which would be great. The sooner they get rid of their proprietary
    > protocol, the better.
    >
    > If they don’t first join the long, ever-growing list of companies bought out
    > by bigger companies and then shut down ...

    It doesn't sound like they are getting rid of the protocol they use on
    the Skype network, just providing standard SIP connectivity to other
    VOIP PBXs including Asterisk.
    So the Skype Connect service makes Digium's proprietary Skype for
    Asterisk product redundant. Bet they didn't see that coming !

    But the end game for Microsoft might be to take the Skype p2p protocol
    out of the market while retaining Skype's customers and product brand

    victor, May 28, 2011
  5. In article <irph55$j0e$>, victor <> wrote:
    >On 26/05/2011 6:57 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Skype is breaking off the agreement that allows it to interoperate with
    >> Asterisk

    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/microsoft-skype-breaks-open-source-partn
    >ership/1111>.
    >> But the reason they give is that they’re going to concentrate on direct SIP
    >> support. Which would be great. The sooner they get rid of their proprietary
    >> protocol, the better.
    >>
    >> If they don’t first join the long, ever-growing list of companies bought

    > out
    >> by bigger companies and then shut down ...

    >It doesn't sound like they are getting rid of the protocol they use on
    >the Skype network, just providing standard SIP connectivity to other
    >VOIP PBXs including Asterisk.
    >So the Skype Connect service makes Digium's proprietary Skype for
    >Asterisk product redundant. Bet they didn't see that coming !
    >But the end game for Microsoft might be to take the Skype p2p protocol
    >out of the market while retaining Skype's customers and product brand

    Remember ... it's all about control for MS. Look for "updates" that will
    take away choice and openness and increase MS' control of what you can and
    cannot do. Nothing new here ... sadly. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 30, 2011