    anyone else find the same?

    comments ?

    Thks

    Kue2, Jan 13, 2009

  2. Kue2

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <u#> "Kue2"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >My Microsoft Keyboard 3000 does not work in the chkdsk screen. I started
    >chkdsk scheduled it to run on next boot. I got into a loop because my
    >keyboard does not function in the Chkdsk window & I could not cancel it.
    >Only way I could get out was to boot to Vista. It still ran chkdsk, reported
    >it could not fix errors but then carried on booting Vista.(thank-goodness).
    >
    >anyone else find the same?
    >
    >comments ?

    Go into your BIOS and find the "Legacy Keyboard" option under USB
    settings, enable it, reboot and you should be good to go.
    --
    Dave Warren,
    Office: (403) 775-1700 / (888) 300-3480

    Dave Warren, Jan 13, 2009

  3. As far as I know a chkdsk in progress cannot be canceled, regardless of
    which keyboard you use you still will not be able to cancel the chkdsk.

    John

    John John (MVP), Jan 13, 2009
  4. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    That's a more likely explanation.
    In a private e-mail I exchanged with Hugh (a.k.a. "Kue2") he told me he
    already has the "USB Legacy support" option enabled in BIOS.
    Otherwise he would not have been able to choose what OS to load during the
    initial multiboot menu.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2009
  5. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    John John

    Chkdsk was in a loop, because it said it could not fix errors. It would
    restart & go back into the chkdsk screen. There is the option to cancel
    chkdsk by pressing any key. My Microsoft Wireless
    Keyboard 3000 would not respond, keyboard was completely dead. I kept going
    into this loop until
    (I have a dual boot system) I choose Vista. It still ran chkdsk, but this
    time after reporting it could not fix errors, the system continued on into
    Vista.(Vista is on another drive).

    Kue2, Jan 13, 2009
  6. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    I consider this a very serious error. If I did not have a dual boot system.

    If I did not have a dual boot system, I would have been stuck in a chkdsk
    loop.
    Prior to booting to Vista, I had put in the Win7 disk & had tried every
    "REPAIR" option available with no success. I was then prompted to send info
    to Microsoft which I did. After that I had two options left:
    Option#1 Do a repair install (keep all my files & setting) to try & repair
    system

    This failed while trying to write files to disk.

    Option #2 Format drive with Win7 on it & reinstall.
    I choose not to do that at this point. I restarted & booted to Vista.(dual
    boot).
    After trying several more things from within Vista, I excited Acronis Disk
    Manager.
    It informed me that the Win7 was corrupted & to run chkdsk. It proceeded to
    do this after unloading open handles (I believe it was called). It was going
    to check free space too, I went to bed leaving chkdsk running.

    Next Morning:
    Acronis informed me the disk had been fixed (errors fixed) & I don't
    remember the exact terms,
    The "Fat Table" had been fixed or adjusted. I thought this was great!!!
    I immediately booted to Win7. Chkdsk did not run when I booted, I thought at
    this point "I was home free."
    When Win7 loaded everything seemed fine. After awhile I decided to install
    another program.
    Upon trying to install I got the same error again(problem writing to disk,
    advised to run chkdsk.
    At this point I was to say the least, very disappointed. I had thoughts
    about the "new" disk being bad.(yuk) more hassles. I decided to format Win7
    & reinstall. This fixed things up. I am still running in Win7 (no more disk
    errors) thank goodness. I have been up & running Since early Monday Morning
    (5:00am). I have since loaded some 25 programs without having any errors.
    To this day I still don't know why the Disk write error appeared. At the
    time the disk error occurred I had Win7 running for about 2 hours, without
    any problems.

    Comments welcome
    Questions?

    Suggestions?

    Thanks

    Kue2, Jan 13, 2009
  7. Kue2

    David B. Guest

    Have you run the HD mfg's diagnostics on the hard drive to rule out the
    drive failing?

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    David B., Jan 13, 2009
  8. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Thanks David B.

    No I have not. I've been up since Monday morning at 5:00am with no disk
    errors.
    If I encounter a disk error again, I'll take your suggestion.
    It a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 mb. Sata 2 Hard Drive.
    I have had very good experiences the these drives in the past.

    Thanks

    Kue2, Jan 13, 2009
  9. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    I have d/led Seatools from Seagate. Drive passed all tests.

    Kue2, Jan 13, 2009
  10. This is what fixed mine after checking and finding nothing wrong with the
    drive. I had a dirty bit which caused it to want to run and freeze every
    boot. Follow these directions and don't skip any of them for any reason. I
    did skip the chkntfs /x c: cause I didn't think it was needed. Still didn't
    fix even though I did all the other stuff. Finally after about a week I
    revisited the fix and followed all the directions. If this don't fix it
    then there is directions to disable the chkdsk at boot.

    First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and
    type " fsutil dirty query d: ". This queries the drive, and more than likely
    it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells
    Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time,
    manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you
    directly to Windows.

    Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now
    you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should
    take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit.
    Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the
    dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

    Stop CHKDSK from running at boot time.

    1.Edit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    2.Change the BootExecute entry from:

    autocheck autochk * /.........
    To:
    autocheck autochk *
    ====================

    David B. Mathews, Jan 13, 2009
  11. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Thanks again! David

    The disk is not dirty:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Windows\system32> fsutil dirty query c:
    Volume - c: is NOT Dirty

    C:\Windows\system32>

    Thanks for the tip to stop chkdsk from running & on chkdsk
    I have saved your e-mail
    Thank-you

    Kue2, Jan 13, 2009
  12. Kue2

    David B. Guest

    I use nothing but Seagate, but I did get a dead 500 giger out of the box, no
    ones perfect. With issues like yours it's always good to confirm your
    hardware is fine before tackling software fixes, can save allot of time.

    --

    ----

    David B., Jan 14, 2009
  13. Kue2

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "David B."
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >I use nothing but Seagate, but I did get a dead 500 giger out of the box, no
    >ones perfect

    I've had a couple Seagate failures recently, although with a little over
    8TB of storage online, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more,
    especially since most of my drives are 2-4 years old now.

    One thing about Seagate, the warranty process is as simple as entering
    the serial number, model number, and your shipping information, no
    faxing receipts and begging permission to have an RMA number, etc.

    The turn-around time on the last one I shipped was pretty good too,
    under three weeks around trip, a full week of which was my drive being
    shipped to them (in other words, two weeks from when the drive arrived
    at Seagate until I had the replacement going through burn-in testing on
    my desk)

    This beats my luck with any other manufacturer.

    Dave Warren, Jan 15, 2009