Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 on WindowsXP 64-bit edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Anthony LaMark, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Hi All,

    I have loaded the MSAccess runtime onto a Windows XP 64-bit edition system.
    I have a Windows JScript that tries to open and read from the MDB (this code
    has been working on the 32-bit platform for a long time...I have listed the
    code snippet at the end of this post) but it fails when I issue the Open.
    The error message is -2146824582 "Provider cannot be found. It may not be
    properly installed.". Other note: I can double click the MDB file and open
    MSAccess interactively without any problems. So I think I just need the
    driver/provider for MSAccess. On my 32bit machine, if I look under the
    Adminstration Tools->Data Sources and click the "Drivers" tab, I can see a
    driver named "Microsoft Access Driver" which I do not see on my 64bit
    machine. After searching around the web, it seems that there are no
    odbc/mdac drivers for the Jet engine (MS-Access) on 64-bit. Is this still
    true today? If so, I guess I need to port to sql 2005 msde. And so my next
    question: is this option viable? Thanks in advance.

    var l_objConnection = new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    var l_strDataBaseName = l_strDirectoryName + "MessageFilterDB.mdb";
    var l_strConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" +
    "Data Source=" +
    l_strDataBaseName +";";
    l_objConnection.Open(l_strConnectionString);
    Anthony LaMark, Apr 14, 2006

  2. This might be of some assistance I hope:
    From Pascal Deliot:
    "It's important to understand which kind of DSN you have. On an x64 system,
    you can create an ODBC connection(DSN) on the 32-bit side of the system or
    on the 64-bit side of the system.

    32-bit applications will only see ODBC connections created in the 32-bit
    side, and 64-bits applications will only see ODBC connections from the
    64-bit side. Each kind of application has is own registry.

    To setup DSN for 32-bit application you must use:
    %WINDIR%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
    and for 64-bit application you must use:
    %WINDIR%\System32\odbcad32.exe"
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 14, 2006

  3. >> After searching around the web, it seems that there are no odbc/mdac
    >> drivers for the Jet engine (MS-Access) on 64-bit. Is this still true
    >> today?

    Yes.

    >> If so, I guess I need to port to sql 2005 msde. And so my next question:
    >> is this option viable

    Yes.
    Not only viable, but suggested (by me anyways :) ).

    The only x64 ODBC drivers that come installed are for SQL Server (which
    will/should work with MSDE).
    I assume that OLE DB is similar (don't know for sure as all my desktop code
    is ODBC).

    cmk
    Chris Kushnir, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Very badly
    Most my work - *.mdb database and ODBC connetions 32 bit
    I uninstall so WindowsXP 64-bit edition an use 32 bit Windows bat i will use
    WindowsXP 64-bit edition

    answer please

    =?Utf-8?B?RWdpbHM=?=, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Anthony LaMark

    Guest

    When will MS provide drivers for Jet 4.0 and others for x64? I assume
    that this must be in the works.

    Bill E.
    , Apr 21, 2006
  6. Where will get this drivers?