  1. Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of .iso disc image files
    <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>. The problem being that Dimdows
    doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:gonc01$8at$...
    > Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of
    > .iso disc image files
    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>.
    > The problem being that Dimdows
    > doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.

    Hi Lawrence,

    Not sure which version of Windows you are using, but for me, I just
    drop to a command prompt and type:

    cdburn x: image.iso

    OR

    dvdburn x: image.iso

    where X will be your CD / DVD burner drive and image.iso is the name
    of the ISO file.

    I can't recall right now, but I think those are possibly optional
    components like telnet etc. Personally, I just add in everything as I
    never have a disk space issue, but I guess it makes sense to have them
    optional for most people.

    HTH,

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
    use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 5, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of .iso
    > disc image files
    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>.
    > The problem being that Dimdows
    > doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.

    Good thing there's a surfeit of third party tools then.
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 5, 2009
  4. In message <gond67$clh$>, Alan wrote:

    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:gonc01$8at$...
    >
    >> Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of
    >> .iso disc image files <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>.
    >> The problem being that Dimdows doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.
    >>

    > ... I just drop to a command prompt and type:
    >
    > cdburn x: image.iso
    >
    > OR
    >
    > dvdburn x: image.iso
    >
    > where X will be your CD / DVD burner drive and image.iso is the name
    > of the ISO file.

    Did you say ...

    .... COMMAND LINE!?!?!?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2009
  5. On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:04:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of .iso disc image files
    ><http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>. The problem being that Dimdows
    >doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.

    I think Vista can somehow. But I have never tried, as I just use
    ImgBurn (freeware):

    http://www.imgburn.com/
    Stephen Worthington, Mar 5, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:gont2b$ihk$...
    > In message <gond67$clh$>, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> message news:gonc01$8at$...
    >>
    >>> Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form
    >>> of
    >>> .iso disc image files
    >>> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>.
    >>> The problem being that Dimdows doesn't actually have any tools
    >>> built-in for dealing with these.
    >>>

    >> ... I just drop to a command prompt and type:
    >>
    >> cdburn x: image.iso
    >>
    >> OR
    >>
    >> dvdburn x: image.iso
    >>
    >> where X will be your CD / DVD burner drive and image.iso is the
    >> name
    >> of the ISO file.

    > Did you say ...
    >
    > ... COMMAND LINE!?!?!?

    {Grin}

    It's something that Windows has always had.

    My observation is that some flavours of Linux also have one!

    Alan, Mar 5, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:04:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of .iso disc image files
    >> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>. The problem being that Dimdows
    >> doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.

    > I think Vista can somehow. But I have never tried, as I just use
    > ImgBurn (freeware):
    >
    > http://www.imgburn.com/

    I just use Isorecorder

    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
    EMB, Mar 5, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:04:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form
    >>> of .iso disc image files
    >>> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>.
    >>> The problem being that Dimdows doesn't actually have any tools
    >>> built-in for dealing with these.

    >> I think Vista can somehow. But I have never tried, as I just use
    >> ImgBurn (freeware):
    >>
    >> http://www.imgburn.com/

    > I just use Isorecorder
    >
    > http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

    That works well to create an ISO.

    I believe it is also the 'unofficial' application that Microsoft
    suggest you use.

    Alan, Mar 5, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of
    > .iso disc image files
    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>.
    > The problem being that Dimdows doesn't actually have any tools
    > built-in for dealing with these.

    Linux doesn't have them built in either, but most distros include them
    on the CD/DVD.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Guest

    On Mar 5, 3:04 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of .iso disc image files
    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-se...>. The problem being that Dimdows
    > doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.

    I think windows 7 does, I have it on vmware....runs well.

    regards

    Thing
    , Mar 5, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Guest

    On Mar 5, 3:04 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of .iso disc image files
    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-se...>. The problem being that Dimdows
    > doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.

    oh and you can just download a free burning software app anyway.

    regards

    Thing
    , Mar 5, 2009
  12. In message <>, wrote:

    > On Mar 5, 3:04 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Ironic to see Microsoft releasing more and more stuff in the form of .iso
    >> disc image files
    >> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/sp2-rc-for-vista-and-server-2008-goes-public.ars>.
    >> The problem being that Dimdows doesn't actually have any tools built-in for dealing with these.

    > I think windows 7 does ...

    Yeah, finally an option to burn them. Still can't mount them or make them.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2009
  13. In message <gonv5f$2vk$>, Alan wrote:

    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:gont2b$ihk$...
    >>
    >> Did you say ...
    >>
    >> ... COMMAND LINE!?!?!?

    > My observation is that some flavours of Linux also have one!

    Not for doing anything so elementary, surely. Modern OSes have progressed
    beyond that by now.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:goo2oj$lp5$...
    > In message <gonv5f$2vk$>, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> message news:gont2b$ihk$...
    >>>
    >>> Did you say ...
    >>>
    >>> ... COMMAND LINE!?!?!?

    >> My observation is that some flavours of Linux also have one!

    > Not for doing anything so elementary, surely. Modern OSes have
    > progressed
    > beyond that by now.

    Personally, I find that I can do many things quicker by just dropping
    to the CLI (two keystrokes - or one if I define a shortcut key):

    Win-R
    Enter

    Type in the command and go.

    Just seems easier to me, but I understand that GNU guys might find
    that a bit intimidating ;-)

    On the other hand, if you want a GUI option, install ISORecorder from
    the Windows software repository (aka 'the internet'):

    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

    It works well too.

    Choice feels good!

    Alan, Mar 5, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > install ISORecorder from the Windows software repository (aka 'the
    > internet'):

    Ahahaha
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 5, 2009
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    :->

    Alan, Mar 5, 2009
  17. In message <goo78p$e31$>, Alan wrote:

    > Personally, I find that I can do many things quicker by just dropping
    > to the CLI (two keystrokes - or one if I define a shortcut key):
    >
    > Win-R
    > Enter
    >
    > Type in the command and go.

    Can't just put that in a .desktop file that you can run with a click? How
    primitive. Like the whole CLI concept in Windows.

    > On the other hand, if you want a GUI option, install ISORecorder from
    > the Windows software repository (aka 'the internet'):

    How easy is it to do an apt-get update on this repository?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2009
  18. In message <gopll8$ggo$>, Alan wrote:

    > ... often your comments seem very well
    > informed with respect to Linux, but extremely naive with respect to
    > how Windows works.

    I often find that people start resorting to personal attacks when they find
    themselves on the losing end of an argument.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2009
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:gopnb4$k71$...
    > In message <gopll8$ggo$>, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> ... often your comments seem very well
    >> informed with respect to Linux, but extremely naive with respect to
    >> how Windows works.

    > I often find that people start resorting to personal attacks when
    > they find
    > themselves on the losing end of an argument.

    I apologise if it came across that way - it most definitely was not
    intended like that.

    Am I correct that you don't actually use Windows though?

    Alan, Mar 5, 2009
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gopll8$ggo$>, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> ... often your comments seem very well
    >> informed with respect to Linux, but extremely naive with respect to
    >> how Windows works.

    > I often find that people start resorting to personal attacks when they find
    > themselves on the losing end of an argument.

    That was not a personal attack, it was an observation of facts.

    I notice that people with a good IT focus are often unable to pickup on
    the nuances of English to know the difference between attacking a person
    and an idea and similarly the difference between observing behavior and
    criticism of that behavior. I would suggest re-reading things when you
    think that there may have being something attacking you in it and seeing
    if they are attacking the ideas you are saying instead.
    Richard, Mar 6, 2009