    Dianthus Mimulus

    When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
    When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Dianthus Mimulus

    Jack Guest

    Re: Microsoft Is Dead...but more alive than Linux

    "Dianthus Mimulus" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >
    > "" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    > readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    > and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    > a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    > the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""
    >

    > --
    > Dianthus Mimulus
    >
    > When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
    > When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.

    And others will say how predictable and boring the Linux camp has become and
    even more jealous of Microsoft now that Vista has proved to be a success.
    Attacking the opposition is simply not the way for Linux to gain ground in
    New Zealand, in fact, it has the reverse effect, it simply puts people off
    Linux. If I was part of the Linux hierarchy, I would be asking people to
    stop their relentless attacks on Microsoft and concentrate instead on
    promoting the positive side of Linux, if there is one!

    Jack, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Re: Microsoft Is Dead.

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 15:20:51 +1200, Jack wrote:

    > And others will say how predictable and boring the Linux camp has become and
    > even more jealous of Microsoft now that Vista has proved to be a success.

    Who mentioned Linux OR M$ Windows Vi$ta? Not me.

    I merely posted a URL, and the last paragraph from an article that I found
    interesting - and it *is* interesting.

    Did you read it?

    BTW, the title of this article - "Microsoft Is Dead" - is an allusion to
    the quote "God Is Dead" (Friedrich Nietzsche) - and it carries a very
    similar signifigance.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_is_dead

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 8, 2007
  4. Re: Microsoft Is Dead...but more alive than Linux

    Hi there,

    Jack wrote:
    > "Dianthus Mimulus" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >>
    >>"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    >>readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    >>and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    >>a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    >>the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""
    >>
    >>Dianthus Mimulus
    >>
    >>When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
    >>When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.

    > And others will say how predictable and boring the Linux camp has become and

    Certain elements of the Linux camp are boring and predictable. Don't
    assume we all are.

    > even more jealous of Microsoft now that Vista has proved to be a success.

    A success? Most people in IT I've dealt with won't have a bar of it,
    as it would require massive investment in not just licensing, but new
    hardware to meet its requirements. No doubt the Compaqs, Dells, HP's,
    and other retail focused PC guys will include it with new machines,
    so anyone updating to a new machine will get Vista, but the business
    world I think are less eager to delve into Vista just yet.

    > Attacking the opposition is simply not the way for Linux to gain ground in
    > New Zealand, in fact, it has the reverse effect, it simply puts people off

    Does it? Asked the opinions of a randomly selected few thousands have
    you? I don't think anyone, including you, can make a truly objective
    statement about that. I do agree that it would put some people off,
    myself included, but you state this like its everyones opinion. Its
    not, its just yours.

    > Linux. If I was part of the Linux hierarchy, I would be asking people to
    > stop their relentless attacks on Microsoft and concentrate instead on
    > promoting the positive side of Linux, if there is one!

    There are plenty of positives in Linux, but there is also some work
    to do to remove the cloak of perceived (and sometimes rightly so)
    lesser user-friendliness that Linux carries. Try a LiveCD for yourself
    if you wanna take a look. It may not be what you expect from Windows,
    but thats the beauty of it to me. At least with a LiveCD you can try
    without upsetting your PC's hard disk.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 8, 2007
  5. Dianthus Mimulus

    Miguel Guest

    Re: Microsoft Is Dead...but more alive than Linux

    <snip Jack>
    >the Linux camp has become even more jealous of Microsoft

    </snip>

    I appreciate that DM is stirring but your reply pretty much wins the
    stupid statement of the day award.

    I'd hazard a guess and say nearly all Linux users were/are also users
    of MS software so can make reasonably informed comparisions of what's
    on offer from each camp. From 98 to ME to XP to Vista (roughly 10
    years) there hasn't seemed to be a marked decrease in people using
    Linux. If anything, it's the opposite.

    I'd hazard another guess and say there are few MS users who have Linux
    as a secondary boot option and regularly use it. So an MS users
    comments on Linux are pretty much worthless.

    <snip Jack>
    > Attacking the opposition is simply not the way for Linux to gain ground in
    > New Zealand,

    </snip>

    In the immortal words of Dominic Humphries:

    Linux is not interested in market share.
    Linux does not have customers.
    Linux does not have shareholders.
    Linux does not have a responsibility to the bottom line.
    Linux was not created to make money.
    Linux does not have the goal of being the most popular and widespread
    OS on the planet.

    All the Linux community wants is to create a really good, fully-
    featured, free operating system.
    If that results in Linux becoming a hugely popular OS, then that's
    great.
    If that results in Linux having the most intuitive, user-friendly
    interface ever created, then that's great.
    If that results in Linux becoming the basis of a multi-billion dollar
    industry, then that's great.

    It's great, but it's not the point.
    The point is to make Linux the best OS that the community is capable
    of making.
    Not for other people: For itself.

    The oh-so-common threats of "Linux will never take over the desktop
    unless it does such-and-such" are simply irrelevant: The Linux
    community isn't trying to take over the desktop. They really don't
    care if it gets good enough to make it onto YOUR desktop, so long as
    it stays good enough to remain on theirs.

    <snip Jack>
    >If I was part of the Linux hierarchy...

    </snip>

    Part of the WHAT...????

    http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Apr 8, 2007
  6. Dianthus Mimulus

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    exclaimed:

    >http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >
    >"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    >readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    >and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    >a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    >the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

    So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    of Linux and *BSD combined?

    --

    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
    fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
    it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Best Rant of the Year Award:

    "Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
    of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
    cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
    products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
    polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
    supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

    - E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
    supermarket bags...

    Fred Dagg, Apr 8, 2007
  7. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >>
    >> "" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    >> readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    >> and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    >> a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    >> the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

    > So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    > for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    > of Linux and *BSD combined?

    Oh dear

    Dear sir, my dick is bigger than yours and whats more it has reached more women
    than yours, give it a break he is trolling for F sake.

    Collector»NZ, Apr 8, 2007
  8. Hi there,

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >>
    >>"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    >>readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    >>and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    >>a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    >>the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

    > So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    > for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    > of Linux and *BSD combined?

    Thats a stat you came up with pretty quickly Fred, where is your data
    source? All I've heard from IT people is that they're not willing to
    run with Vista, because it offers little payback over the investment
    required to install it. Why spend all that money just to upgrade the
    OS, the hardware, and maybe the Office version, just so the sizeable
    majority can do exactly the same work? Thats the reality of why people
    I've talked to are steering clear of Vista...

    Linux is doing just fine. It doesn't need to rely on selling heaps
    of copies to survive, unlike MS and Vista. MS and Windows is a well
    worn path undoubtedly, but that could be their bugbear with Vista.
    Could Vista really offer so much more than XP could? As for me, I'd
    rather tread a less worn path...

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 8, 2007
  9. Dianthus Mimulus

    Rob S Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    > for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    > of Linux and *BSD combined?

    And that matters to you because ???

    Next time you poke your hairy little nose out from under your little
    bridge, have something worth saying will you?
    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

    Rob S, Apr 8, 2007
  10. Dianthus Mimulus

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    > >
    > >"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    > >readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    > >and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    > >a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    > >the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

    > So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    > for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    > of Linux and *BSD combined?

    Huh ???
    You have facts to support that ?

    whoisthis, Apr 8, 2007
  11. Dianthus Mimulus

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:31:03 +1200, Rob S <Here@home> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>
    >> So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    >> for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    >> of Linux and *BSD combined?
    >>

    >And that matters to you because ???
    >
    >Next time you poke your hairy little nose out from under your little
    >bridge, have something worth saying will you?

    LOL! I reply to a post from the group's biggest troll, making a claim
    that the manufacturer of the OS that has about 87% of the market is
    "dead", and you call me a troll?

    Open your other eye, "Rob".

    Fred Dagg, Apr 8, 2007
  12. Dianthus Mimulus

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:37:03 +1200, whoisthis <>
    exclaimed:

    >In article <>,
    > Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >> >http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >> >
    >> >"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    >> >readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    >> >and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    >> >a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    >> >the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

    >> So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    >> for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    >> of Linux and *BSD combined?

    >Huh ???
    >You have facts to support that ?

    Yes.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 8, 2007
  13. Dianthus Mimulus

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:14:00 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    <> exclaimed:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>

    >>>http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >>>
    >>>"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    >>>readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    >>>and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    >>>a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    >>>the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

    >> So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    >> for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    >> of Linux and *BSD combined?

    >Thats a stat you came up with pretty quickly Fred, where is your data
    >source? All I've heard from IT people is that they're not willing to
    >run with Vista, because it offers little payback over the investment
    >required to install it. Why spend all that money just to upgrade the
    >OS, the hardware, and maybe the Office version, just so the sizeable
    >majority can do exactly the same work? Thats the reality of why people
    >I've talked to are steering clear of Vista...

    I wouldn't be giving Vista to non-technical business users, either.
    But by the same token, I'd give them Vista well before I gave them
    Linux.

    >Linux is doing just fine. It doesn't need to rely on selling heaps
    >of copies to survive, unlike MS and Vista. MS and Windows is a well
    >worn path undoubtedly, but that could be their bugbear with Vista.
    >Could Vista really offer so much more than XP could? As for me, I'd
    >rather tread a less worn path...

    I find Vista fantastic, and haven't looked back once.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 8, 2007
  14. Dianthus Mimulus

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >
    > "" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    > readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
    > and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    > a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
    > the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

    Just think about it. IBM was a typewriter company! They made some
    computers Passed the mantle to Microsoft. I don't know how many
    computers I see that just type letters!!! So the circle is complete.

    The Internet thing from Microsoft point of view was something to be
    watched, Read web pages/mail , pay for some music and the like. How much
    software do they provide to make content? Kind of like the Xtra thing
    User content is bad hence the pitiful upload speed.

    Now you could say all you need is Word pad or note pad to make stuff for
    the net but for some things it is a bad way to go. Yes I like to hand
    code the pages and use a ftp agent to upload stuff. I know I ain't that
    good at that.

    There are many ways to skin a cat. I can use Windows, Apple and Linux
    to do what I want to do. Some are much cheaper others are more expensive
    most of the software I have used has been of the free and or cheep but
    they do the job to my expectation.

    My Wife and her folks like to play web based games! you know the type
    you find on bigfish games and the like they have one rule for those
    places Don't use a Credit card and lie about personal information.

    Robert Cooze, Apr 8, 2007
  15. Dianthus Mimulus

    Jack Guest

    Re: Microsoft Is Dead...but more alive than Linux

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    message news:46186ffe$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Jack wrote:
    >> "Dianthus Mimulus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
    >>>
    >>>"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
    >>>readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable
    >>>company,
    >>>and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
    >>>a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other
    >>>half,
    >>>the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""
    >>>
    >>>Dianthus Mimulus
    >>>
    >>>When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
    >>>When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.

    >> And others will say how predictable and boring the Linux camp has become
    >> and

    > Certain elements of the Linux camp are boring and predictable. Don't
    > assume we all are.
    >
    >> even more jealous of Microsoft now that Vista has proved to be a success.

    > A success? Most people in IT I've dealt with won't have a bar of it,
    > as it would require massive investment in not just licensing, but new
    > hardware to meet its requirements. No doubt the Compaqs, Dells, HP's,
    > and other retail focused PC guys will include it with new machines,
    > so anyone updating to a new machine will get Vista, but the business
    > world I think are less eager to delve into Vista just yet.

    Vista is the way of the future, and just because, as usual, some of the
    business world waits a while before installing a new operating system, this
    doesn't mean that Vista is not a success. It takes a while for some software
    developers to catch up with new operating systems, and some old hardware
    needs to be updated, but these things will happen after a while. This time
    next year, I predict that few people and businesses will still be using XP,
    they will be using Vista.

    >> Attacking the opposition is simply not the way for Linux to gain ground
    >> in New Zealand, in fact, it has the reverse effect, it simply puts people
    >> off

    > Does it? Asked the opinions of a randomly selected few thousands have
    > you? I don't think anyone, including you, can make a truly objective
    > statement about that. I do agree that it would put some people off,
    > myself included, but you state this like its everyones opinion. Its
    > not, its just yours.

    OK then, in my most humble opinion, if a person is seen to be completely
    BIASED when commenting on the merits of a competitor's product, then most
    thinking people take into account that this person may be seeking to destroy
    the opposition, no matter how good it may be. If you need the opinions of
    thousands of randomly selected people to tell you to treat the opinions of a
    biased person with great caution, then go ahead and do a research project on
    this topic, I'm sure your local University will give you a couple of million
    dollars to fund such a ground breaking project.

    Jack, Apr 8, 2007
  16. Dianthus Mimulus

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    > <snip Jack>
    >>the Linux camp has become even more jealous of Microsoft

    > </snip>
    >
    > I appreciate that DM is stirring but your reply pretty much wins the
    > stupid statement of the day award.
    >
    > I'd hazard a guess and say nearly all Linux users were/are also users
    > of MS software so can make reasonably informed comparisions of what's
    > on offer from each camp. From 98 to ME to XP to Vista (roughly 10
    > years) there hasn't seemed to be a marked decrease in people using
    > Linux. If anything, it's the opposite.
    >
    > I'd hazard another guess and say there are few MS users who have Linux
    > as a secondary boot option and regularly use it. So an MS users
    > comments on Linux are pretty much worthless.

    DM is repeatedly making posts about anything negative he can find about
    Microsoft and implying how inferior Microsoft operating systems are to
    Linux. This continuous trolling against Microsoft is completely overdone and
    I'm glad that Microsoft users are not continuously originating posts in an
    effort to criticize Linux. DM has a fixation against Microsoft to such an
    extent that he needs counselling so that he can think about something else
    for a change.

    Jack, Apr 8, 2007
  17. Dianthus Mimulus

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:37:03 +1200, whoisthis <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    > >> exclaimed:

    > >> So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
    > >> for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
    > >> of Linux and *BSD combined?

    > >Huh ???
    > >You have facts to support that ?

    > Yes.

    Guess they must be top secret then.
    One hopes you remove the copies microsoft forcibly pushed into channels
    because those copies are not sold, they are simply in storage... a
    common technique by all sorts to bolster "sales"

    whoisthis, Apr 8, 2007
  18. Dianthus Mimulus

    Shane Guest

    Jack wrote:

    > "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    >> <snip Jack>
    >>>the Linux camp has become even more jealous of Microsoft

    >> </snip>
    >>
    >> I appreciate that DM is stirring but your reply pretty much wins the
    >> stupid statement of the day award.
    >>
    >> I'd hazard a guess and say nearly all Linux users were/are also users
    >> of MS software so can make reasonably informed comparisions of what's
    >> on offer from each camp. From 98 to ME to XP to Vista (roughly 10
    >> years) there hasn't seemed to be a marked decrease in people using
    >> Linux. If anything, it's the opposite.
    >>
    >> I'd hazard another guess and say there are few MS users who have Linux
    >> as a secondary boot option and regularly use it. So an MS users
    >> comments on Linux are pretty much worthless.

    > DM is repeatedly making posts about anything negative he can find about
    > Microsoft and implying how inferior Microsoft operating systems are to
    > Linux. This continuous trolling against Microsoft is completely overdone
    > and I'm glad that Microsoft users are not continuously originating posts
    > in an effort to criticize Linux. DM has a fixation against Microsoft to
    > such an extent that he needs counselling so that he can think about
    > something else for a change.

    Then why not
    a) Ignore him for the troll he is
    or
    b) Show his crap up (which is done on a regular basis round here)

    Shane, Apr 8, 2007
  19. Re: Microsoft Is Dead...but more alive than Linux

    Hi there,

    Jack wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    > message news:46186ffe$...
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Jack wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Dianthus Mimulus" <> wrote in message

    >>>And others will say how predictable and boring the Linux camp has become
    >>>and

    >>Certain elements of the Linux camp are boring and predictable. Don't
    >>assume we all are.
    >>

    >>>even more jealous of Microsoft now that Vista has proved to be a success.

    >>A success? Most people in IT I've dealt with won't have a bar of it,
    >>as it would require massive investment in not just licensing, but new
    >>hardware to meet its requirements. No doubt the Compaqs, Dells, HP's,
    >>and other retail focused PC guys will include it with new machines,
    >>so anyone updating to a new machine will get Vista, but the business
    >>world I think are less eager to delve into Vista just yet.

    > Vista is the way of the future, and just because, as usual, some of the
    > business world waits a while before installing a new operating system, this
    > doesn't mean that Vista is not a success. It takes a while for some software
    > developers to catch up with new operating systems, and some old hardware
    > needs to be updated, but these things will happen after a while. This time
    > next year, I predict that few people and businesses will still be using XP,
    > they will be using Vista.

    I beg to differ. I predict that a not small number will still be using
    Win 2000 as they are today (mine and my partners employers do, and have
    no plans to change this). As for those using XP I think some will make
    the move to Vista, but I think at the end of a year Vista will not be
    as widespread as you would seem to think (or like).

    >>>Attacking the opposition is simply not the way for Linux to gain ground
    >>>in New Zealand, in fact, it has the reverse effect, it simply puts people
    >>>off

    >>Does it? Asked the opinions of a randomly selected few thousands have
    >>you? I don't think anyone, including you, can make a truly objective
    >>statement about that. I do agree that it would put some people off,
    >>myself included, but you state this like its everyones opinion. Its
    >>not, its just yours.

    > OK then, in my most humble opinion, if a person is seen to be completely
    > BIASED when commenting on the merits of a competitor's product, then most
    > thinking people take into account that this person may be seeking to destroy
    > the opposition, no matter how good it may be. If you need the opinions of
    > thousands of randomly selected people to tell you to treat the opinions of a
    > biased person with great caution, then go ahead and do a research project on
    > this topic, I'm sure your local University will give you a couple of million
    > dollars to fund such a ground breaking project.

    </cynicism> :)

    I'm sure they will not.

    Technically speaking Linux is not attacking MS. Its the other way round.
    With their strict conditions on some OEM's, patent agenda, and dodgy
    dealings it is MS who is actually physically implementing actions to
    protect its own interests, at great cost. Meanwhile all that pro Linux
    folks can do is comment.

    I get annoyed at that constant MS bashing from the 2 main antagonists
    in this NG, but really what are they capable of doing against MS? It
    is MS and its army of FUD spreading bloggers, paid-for IT experts,
    and its other practices, that is capable of actually doing stuff to
    prevent Linux/Mac etc from gaining any ground.

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 8, 2007
  20. On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:44:35 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Just think about it. IBM was a typewriter company! They made some
    > computers Passed the mantle to Microsoft. I don't know how many
    > computers I see that just type letters!!! So the circle is complete.

    International Business Machines has always, and continues to be, been
    involved in supplying all manner of business machinery - all the way from
    electric (sic) typewriters to adding machines to collators and up to big
    blue mainframes that took up entire floors of a building.

    Wasn't IBM the company that invented the original HardDisc drive? I
    understand that it was originally the size of a large domestic
    refridgerator.

    > The Internet thing from Microsoft point of view was something to be
    > watched, Read web pages/mail , pay for some music and the like. How much
    > software do they provide to make content? Kind of like the Xtra thing
    > User content is bad hence the pitiful upload speed.

    Agreed. The problem is that, for many persons, the Internet is
    predominantly a one-way system. Almost all their activities involve
    downloading material from a server, and hardly anything involves uploading
    to a server or to another desktop machine.

    > Now you could say all you need is Word pad or note pad to make stuff for
    > the net but for some things it is a bad way to go. Yes I like to hand
    > code the pages and use a ftp agent to upload stuff. I know I ain't that
    > good at that.

    Neither of those applications works on my desktop box without employing
    some sort of emlator or compatibility layer. So yes - those would be a bad
    (indeed impossible) way to go. However, Kate works nicely.

    I would always use an FTP agent to upload stuff onto the server.

    > There are many ways to skin a cat. I can use Windows, Apple and Linux
    > to do what I want to do. Some are much cheaper others are more expensive
    > most of the software I have used has been of the free and or cheep but
    > they do the job to my expectation.

    The best tool for the job is the way to go.

    Which do you prefer? eDir or AD? and why?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 8, 2007