    about the last decade, with overpriced, underpowered “Origami†devices, only
    to be blindsided by Apple, Samsung and others.

    What do folks think?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-03-31, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Microsoft seems to believe, or hope, that tablets won?t be around for long
    ><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2038709/microsoft-predicts-demise-tablets>.
    >
    > Which is amusing, considering they?ve been trying to push the concept for
    > about the last decade, with overpriced, underpowered ?Origami? devices, only
    > to be blindsided by Apple, Samsung and others.
    >
    > What do folks think?

    Tablets will survive.They may take over the phone as well, or they will
    remain a slab computer/connection device. Think of it this way
    laptops/netbooks/notebooks have not gone anyplace, as in they are very much
    still here with the sales people. The tablet may kill the netbook.

    Battery power will rule
    Gordon, Apr 2, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 03:24:15 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Tablets will survive.They may take over the phone as well, or they will
    > remain a slab computer/connection device. Think of it this way
    > laptops/netbooks/notebooks have not gone anyplace, as in they are very
    > much still here with the sales people. The tablet may kill the netbook.

    "Netbook" is a euphemism for smaller, reasonably priced, lower powered
    laptops.

    "Laptops" are merely portable battery-powered desktop computers with
    built-in monitors that can be used without needing to sit at a table.

    "Notebooks" are generally small books consisting of pages that are either
    blank, or with various configurations of lines ruled on them. That is all

    Boots, Apr 2, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    nof Guest

    On 2 Apr, 16:24, Gordon <> wrote:
    > On 2011-03-31, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    > > Microsoft seems to believe, or hope, that tablets won?t be around for long
    > ><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2038709/microsoft-predicts-d...>.

    > > Which is amusing, considering they?ve been trying to push the concept for
    > > about the last decade, with overpriced, underpowered ?Origami? devices, only
    > > to be blindsided by Apple, Samsung and others.

    > > What do folks think?

    > Tablets will survive.They may take over the phone as well, or they will
    > remain a slab computer/connection device. Think of it this way
    > laptops/netbooks/notebooks have not gone anyplace, as in they are very much
    > still here with the sales people. The tablet may kill the netbook.
    >
    > Battery power will rule

    I love the iPad greatly. I bought it to act as a link when travelling
    because laptops are heavy. I can't print or phone with the iPad but
    that doesn't matter.
    nof, Apr 3, 2011
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:07:48 -0700, nof wrote:

    > I bought it to act as a link when travelling because laptops are heavy.

    Modern laptops?? Heavy???

    Clearly you don't know the meaning of the word "heavy".

    Boots, Apr 3, 2011