    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    First rule of electronics: Keep the smoke inside!

    Collector_NZ, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Collector_NZ

    Harry Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > This article
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    > makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    > its use to one machine.

    Huh? Doesn't everybody know that a license covers only one machine?
    This is hardly news.

    > Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    > to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    > your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    > prevent re use of the code.

    You have to buy a separate license for each machine.
    And of course they record details of your configuration.

    Have you only just discovered this?

    Harry, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Collector_NZ

    Rider Guest

    "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    > This article
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    > makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    > its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    > to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    > your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    > prevent re use of the code.

    I liked this bit:

    "If you request a genuine Windows download from the Microsoft Download
    Center"

    Does this mean they have non genuine downloads on their site?

    Rider

    Rider, Oct 29, 2004
  4. Collector_NZ

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:28:44 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    wrote:

    >This article
    >http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >prevent re use of the code.

    This has been the standard for the day XP came out..

    It not new at all.

    Geronimo, Oct 29, 2004
  5. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Geronimo said the following on 29/10/2004 13:43:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:28:44 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>This article
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >>makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >>its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >>to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >>your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >>prevent re use of the code.

    > This has been the standard for the day XP came out..
    >
    > It not new at all.

    The new aspect of it which I hadnt made clear is that the validation
    process is being used in conjunction with selected free downloads from MS.

    Collector_NZ, Oct 29, 2004
  6. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 29 Oct 2004
    13:52:15 +1300, Collector_NZ <> says...
    > Geronimo said the following on 29/10/2004 13:43:
    > > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:28:44 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>This article
    > >>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    > >>makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    > >>its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    > >>to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    > >>your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    > >>prevent re use of the code.

    > > This has been the standard for the day XP came out..
    > >
    > > It not new at all.
    > >

    > The new aspect of it which I hadnt made clear is that the validation
    > process is being used in conjunction with selected free downloads from MS.

    It's not new for them to ask for validation information before allowing
    you to install a patch or update.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 29, 2004
  7. Collector_NZ

    Paul Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > This article
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    > makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    > its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    > to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    > your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    > prevent re use of the code.

    So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    Paul, Oct 29, 2004
  8. Collector_NZ

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <> had
    this to say:

    >Collector_NZ wrote:
    >> This article
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >> prevent re use of the code.
    >>

    >So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    You buy a new copy of Windows.

    It has been this way for some time. Each component is given a score,
    and each time it is changed, the points increase, until you get over
    the limit and much enter a new Windows key.

    Generally, this correlates to three hardware changes, although it can
    be more or less, depending on which components you are substituting.

    Good, ay?

    Gurble, Oct 29, 2004
  9. Collector_NZ

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <> wrote:

    >Collector_NZ wrote:
    >> This article
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >> prevent re use of the code.
    >>

    >So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    You die

    Geronimo, Oct 29, 2004
  10. Collector_NZ

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:34:12 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <> had
    >this to say:
    >
    >>Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>> This article
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >>> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >>> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >>> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >>> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >>> prevent re use of the code.
    >>>

    >>So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    >You buy a new copy of Windows.
    >
    >It has been this way for some time. Each component is given a score,
    >and each time it is changed, the points increase, until you get over
    >the limit and much enter a new Windows key.
    >
    >Generally, this correlates to three hardware changes, although it can
    >be more or less, depending on which components you are substituting.
    >
    >Good, ay?

    This might help

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

    Geronimo, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Gurble said the following on 29/10/2004 20:34:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <> had
    > this to say:
    >

    >>Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>>This article
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >>>makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >>>its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >>>to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >>>your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >>>prevent re use of the code.
    >>>

    >>So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    > You buy a new copy of Windows.
    >
    > It has been this way for some time. Each component is given a score,
    > and each time it is changed, the points increase, until you get over
    > the limit and much enter a new Windows key.
    >
    > Generally, this correlates to three hardware changes, although it can
    > be more or less, depending on which components you are substituting.
    >
    > Good, ay?

    So long as it is not corp or OEM you can upgarde as much as you like it
    isnt excluded by the EULA.
    The link I posted appears to be an inducement for non activated copies
    to be recorded, it is associated with a free software application download.

    Collector_NZ, Oct 29, 2004
  12. Gurble wrote:

    >>So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    > You buy a new copy of Windows.
    >
    > It has been this way for some time. Each component is given a score,
    > and each time it is changed, the points increase, until you get over
    > the limit and much enter a new Windows key.
    >
    > Generally, this correlates to three hardware changes, although it can
    > be more or less, depending on which components you are substituting.
    >
    > Good, ay?

    Are you for real?

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 29, 2004
  13. Collector_NZ

    steve Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > This article
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    > makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    > its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    > to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    > your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    > prevent re use of the code.

    That's why I use Linux......the noose got too tight a long time ago for
    me.....but most people are happy to be the frog in the gradually warming
    pot rather than think and learn.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Oct 29, 2004
  14. Collector_NZ

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:34:12 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <> had
    >this to say:
    >
    >>Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>> This article
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >>> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >>> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >>> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >>> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >>> prevent re use of the code.
    >>>

    >>So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    >You buy a new copy of Windows.
    >
    >It has been this way for some time. Each component is given a score,
    >and each time it is changed, the points increase, until you get over
    >the limit and much enter a new Windows key.
    >
    >Generally, this correlates to three hardware changes, although it can
    >be more or less, depending on which components you are substituting.

    It can be software changes too. If it happens and has happened too many times
    you just ring them and they give you a code to type in.

    Craig Shore, Oct 29, 2004
  15. Collector_NZ

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:22:21 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> This article
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >> prevent re use of the code.

    >That's why I use Linux......the noose got too tight a long time ago for
    >me.....but most people are happy to be the frog in the gradually warming
    >pot rather than think and learn.

    Yes and get very limited support..

    You are Joking..

    Geronimo, Oct 29, 2004
  16. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:34:12 +1300, Gurble <> says...
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <> had
    > this to say:
    >
    > >Collector_NZ wrote:
    > >> This article
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    > >> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    > >> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    > >> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    > >> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    > >> prevent re use of the code.
    > >>

    > >So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    > You buy a new copy of Windows.

    Bulldust

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 29, 2004
  17. Collector_NZ

    RT Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:01:54 +1300, thing wrote:
    >
    >> Similar I believe for Suse.

    > I understand that SuSe has gone GPL in the latest versions, having had a
    > period in the $$$$ world.

    nope
    always been gpl

    RT, Oct 29, 2004
  18. Collector_NZ

    steve Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:22:21 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> This article
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >>> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >>> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >>> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >>> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >>> prevent re use of the code.

    >>That's why I use Linux......the noose got too tight a long time ago for
    >>me.....but most people are happy to be the frog in the gradually warming
    >>pot rather than think and learn.

    > Yes and get very limited support..

    Linux support is the best around. IBM, Red Hat, Hewlett Packard, Dell and
    Sun all have fully supported Linux solutions and servers.

    For the average user, newsgroups, mail lists and user groups provide
    excellent support. When I needed a driver with bugs fixed for my cheapo DSE
    wireless card, a project was started on sourceforge and the driver was
    fixed - thanks to the source code being open sourced.

    You need to catch up. It's Microsoft who give you no support.

    > You are Joking..

    Not at all.

    I've been using Linux as my desktop for almost 4 years. It does everything
    WinXP does (that I want done) and I'm able to remove or turn off things I
    don't like.....It doesn't arbitrarily infringe my freedoms.

    Microsoft doesn't give me that option.

    steve, Oct 29, 2004
  19. Collector_NZ

    thing Guest

    Geronimo wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:22:21 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >

    >>Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>This article
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >>>makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
    >>>its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
    >>>to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
    >>>your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
    >>>prevent re use of the code.

    >>That's why I use Linux......the noose got too tight a long time ago for
    >>me.....but most people are happy to be the frog in the gradually warming
    >>pot rather than think and learn.

    > Yes and get very limited support..
    >
    > You are Joking..

    No you are plain silly.

    You can get paid support from hundreds of companies. We get support from
    Red Hat, Dell (for Red Hat) and Oracle for our kit. These are not bit
    players but arguably the most successfull companies in thier respective
    areas.

    You can download free versions Linux if you want free support, via news
    groups, Undernet and mailing lists, not to mention google searches that
    rival or beat MS.

    I constantly search google for Solaris, tru64, Linux and MS problems and
    solutions. They are all on a par (well except maybe tru64 as its a
    smaller user base) and I get the results I need.

    Go on living in your fantasy world, because that is what it is, it bears
    no reality to the real world of enterprise and IT, I pity your clients.

    My experience with people who do not want to use Linux is they are to
    stupid or lazy to use it. The sum of their capabilities is look at a gui
    and guess on which of the 2, 3 or 4 options presented by the gui is
    right for them, the world is not like that. Even MS software needs
    knowledge and experience to really make it reliable, secure and fast,
    knowledge that is equal to the needs within Linux, its just not so up front.

    The difference is what makes a good admin/ISV/integrator and the likes
    of you, chalk and cheese really.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Oct 29, 2004
  20. Collector_NZ

    thing Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Gurble wrote:
    >
    >>> So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

    >> You buy a new copy of Windows.
    >>
    >> It has been this way for some time. Each component is given a score,
    >> and each time it is changed, the points increase, until you get over
    >> the limit and much enter a new Windows key.
    >>
    >> Generally, this correlates to three hardware changes, although it can
    >> be more or less, depending on which components you are substituting.
    >>
    >> Good, ay?

    > Are you for real?

    maybe you could enlighten us.....with the reality.

    At the end of the day, if you choose to buy MS software you need to be
    prepared to accept their terms and conditions, anything else is wrong.

    Interesting that many MS admins I come across think nothing of using
    pilfered keys for or cracked commercial software at home and elsewhere,
    yet using OSS means you can use it for free without having to risk
    downloading a trojan or breaking the law. So it is actually more honest.....

    Why else the need for such a regime?

    regards

    thing

    thing, Oct 29, 2004