Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Tobin, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Tobin

    Tobin Guest

    Microsoft has lied to me yet again.

    Perhaps Microsoft themselves should "analyze" their own
    requirements because for the last time, they have screwed
    this developer out of his hard-earned work.

    Microsoft threw down the gauntlet for developers on the
    MCSD.NET track. They said [paraphrase] "Get your MCSD by
    September 30th, and you'll be recognized as an Early
    Adopter." You can find the exact wording here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsd/benefits.asp
    in the first paragraph.

    I have been so wrapped up in work that I didn't hear about
    this information until mid-September. Someone joked and
    said "you better hurry up" thinking I wouldn't try. Well,
    I took my first test on September 9th, and had my MCAD
    within a week. At this point, I could have either kept up
    this pace, or stretched things out to take my last exam on
    the 30th. I wanted to be certain that I didn't screw up
    so I called Microsoft and verified that I would indeed get
    the EA credential if I took the exam Tuesday morning
    (September 30th). It was inconvenient for me to take the
    exam on the 29th due to a meeting, but I would have
    rescheduled if I had known what was to come.

    I took the final exam I had to take at 9:15am and passed.
    All done. I had accomplished my goal and taken all 5
    exams within a 21 day time period despite a busy work
    schedule. I realized today that I had yet to receive my
    updated wallet card with the MCSD. I called to inquire
    and Microsoft apologized for not getting it out. However,
    being that I'm sure they don't keep reproducing "Early
    Adopter" cards like the rest of the cards I said, "Mine
    will still say Early Adopter on it, wont it?"

    The CSR paused and said, "I don't see that you got that
    certification. What is it?"

    He waited longer and searched before stating, "That is
    only for the first couple thousand people, it wasn't based
    on a date."

    I said, "No, that's the MCAD 'Charter Member' credential.
    I'm talking about the MCSD Early Adopter."

    He said, "let me look".

    After waiting he said "who told you about this? I don't
    see anything about it."

    I had to tell him it was on the MS website and had to find
    it. He came back and pointed me to another site
    (http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsd/showcase.asp).
    This site said I had to get it _before_ September 30th
    which conflicts with the link above and has different
    wording. So instead of saying "yeah, the wording was
    kinda misleading" Microsoft has chosen to disrespect a
    developer that has long evangelized their products,
    authored books about their software, and sold many
    solutions that have made them money (not that I make up a
    large portion of their gross revenue or anything).

    This is the last time. I'm turning all my efforts to Java
    as soon as I possibly can. I will run Linux at home. I
    will sell my XBox and get another console. I'll have a
    Microsoft software burning party in my backyard. I'll
    offer free Linux courses on a weekly basis in my
    neighborhood and allow anyone else who wants to come in.
    I'm going to start developing Linux solutions for charity
    in my spare time.

    Why am I so ticked over this? Whats the big deal? Because
    I am tired of being lied to by Microsoft. I'm tired of
    Microsoft treating developers like they don't matter. I'm
    sick of the whole system they've created. They need
    competition.. and they need it badly. They are second-
    rate in support and always will be until they HAVE to
    provide good support and are FORCED to be reasonable.
    They cut back on benefits for getting certified mostly
    because they themselves know that certification doesn't
    mean anything to employers.

    Go ahead and get certified. See if it actually brings you
    anything. MIcrosoft wont think any better of you.
    Microsoft doesn't even consider certification of value
    within the organization. They don't think any better of
    you for getting certified, why should other employers?
    I'm telling you now, Sun will welcome you and give you
    support if you get certified in their program. They'll
    show their appreciation by giving you things you deserve
    for your hard work.
    Tobin, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Tobin

    Fluker Guest

    And what's the point of this mail ?

    You want to warn us or want to address microsoft
    about grievance you had ?

    In either case, nothing is going to change.

    Next, Going to linux/java doesn't solve this problem, because
    atleast you found someone to answer at microsoft, for others
    you won't even find the support rep!

    Best Regards,
    FLu.

    Fluker, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Tobin

    Guest Guest

    But will Sun print "Early Adopter" on your certification card? I think
    probably not either.

    By the way, if you have Visual Studio.NET 2002 or 2003 Enterprise Developer,
    don't burn it yet. I'll buy it from you.

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Tobin

    Guest Guest

    No, actually, I just want people to see how Microsoft
    treats their "premium" certified people -- the people
    that make their crap work in solutions. I wont
    get "Early Achiever" on my certificate from Sun. But
    then again, they didn't promise it. Sun has never lied
    like Microsoft has. If they say they will do something
    they do it.

    So my point in posting is mostly just so this will be one
    more voice in the wind. Sooner or later, all these
    voices will be heard.

    ..

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Tobin

    Guest Guest

    I unfortunately do own this crap along with Office XP,
    Office 11, betas of products that I'm under obligation
    not to name here, and a lot more. I'm sorry, but I wont
    give them away. They, too, will be destroyed.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Tobin

    Guest Guest

    I'll pay you $300 for it. You'll need the cash when it comes time to take
    the Sun certification exams.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Tobin

    Charlie Guest

    I what you are experiencing is normal for M$.

    I missed a project deadline because of their product activation policies and
    procedures

    What I learned from them is a very simple lesson

    To them, their profits are more important than my success.

    They have grown so big that they don't understand this anymore.

    Charlie, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Tobin

    Guest Guest

    I'm not one to need extra cash and I have no intention of
    letting these software or Microsoft abuse anyone else
    with the stuff I have in my hands. Go get yourself a
    copy of SharpDevelop if you simply must develop in C# and
    need an IDE. It's free, and I'll just bet you'll get more
    help on it than anyone else will give you. And if you do
    run into a bug, the source code is available so you can
    fix the problem yourself.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  9. Tobin

    Guest Guest

    Seriously, if you're not going to use it, then I'll buy it from you. Do you
    have a MSDN subscription?

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  10. Hmm, I hate to be a jerk here, but the exact wording on the original link
    says:

    "Earn the Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD) for Microsoft .NET
    certification by September 30, 2003."

    To me, that is ambiguous. It does not say "September 30th, inclusive." It
    simply says "*by* Sept 30th." Does that mean "by 00:00:00 11/30/03" ??
    This is not clear wording.

    It would've been much more prudent, since you place such a strong importance
    on having "Early Adopter" on your wallet card, to make a phone call
    beforehand to clarify the wording.

    As for the clueless CSR, who among us HASN'T had to speak to a clueless CSR.
    There are REASONS they work customer service. This is not reason to label
    Microsoft and it's products as "bad."

    I would say the fault here lies with you, not Microsoft. If I were
    Microsoft, I would be happy to see you go.

    Enjoy Linux!

    - C

    Clint Kennedy, Nov 19, 2003
  11. Tobin

    someone Guest

    I agree with you that Microsoft certifications are of basically no value,
    but why do you think that Java certification is of any value? Can you tell
    us what Sun gives to Java certified people?

    Many people take the Microsoft certifications primarily because they like to
    learn about Microsoft technologies, not really because they want the cert
    itself. Others take it because they are currently unemployed, and yet others
    take it because their employers need it to keep their Microsoft Partner
    status.

    someone, Nov 19, 2003
  12. Tobin

    Paul Robson Guest

    Clint Kennedy wrote:

    > Hmm, I hate to be a jerk here, but the exact wording on the original link
    > says:
    >
    > "Earn the Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD) for Microsoft .NET
    > certification by September 30, 2003."
    >
    > To me, that is ambiguous. It does not say "September 30th, inclusive." It
    > simply says "*by* Sept 30th." Does that mean "by 00:00:00 11/30/03" ??
    > This is not clear wording.
    >
    > It would've been much more prudent, since you place such a strong importance
    > on having "Early Adopter" on your wallet card, to make a phone call
    > beforehand to clarify the wording.
    >
    > As for the clueless CSR, who among us HASN'T had to speak to a clueless CSR.
    > There are REASONS they work customer service. This is not reason to label
    > Microsoft and it's products as "bad."
    >
    > I would say the fault here lies with you, not Microsoft. If I were
    > Microsoft, I would be happy to see you go.
    >
    > Enjoy Linux!

    That's the surprising thing. Over this rather dubious point - I would
    say "by September 30th" means before Sept 30th personally - and even if
    it doesn't if you are that keen why not do it on the 29th - this guy is
    going to start again on Linux and use nothing MS

    This isn't necessarily a bad idea - it's just not a good reason !

    Paul Robson, Nov 19, 2003
  13. Tobin

    Charlie Guest

    RE:
    > If I were
    > Microsoft, I would be happy to see you go.

    <SARCASM ON>
    Clint Kennedy you sound like a brilliant business man
    <SARCASM OFF>

    I do believe that too many people at M$ agree with you - unfortunately.

    "Paul Robson" <> wrote in
    message news:bpg8u2$av3$...

    Charlie, Nov 19, 2003
  14. Exactly. To say, "I need a new car _by_ 2004" means I need it _before_
    2004.

    To say, "Coupon expires _on_ September 30, 2003" means the coupon is
    good _on_, but not _after_, September 30, 2003.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 19, 2003
  15. Tobin

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I agree with you that Microsoft certifications are of basically no value,
    >but why do you think that Java certification is of any value? Can you tell
    >us what Sun gives to Java certified people?
    >
    >Many people take the Microsoft certifications primarily because they like to
    >learn about Microsoft technologies, not really because they want the cert
    >itself. Others take it because they are currently unemployed, and yet others
    >take it because their employers need it to keep their Microsoft Partner
    >status.

    Which are reasons why people get certified by Sun, IBM, Cisco. It have
    nothing to do with the vendor.

    In any case the only worth while certification is the MCNGP.
    Kline Sphere, Nov 19, 2003
  16. Tobin

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I have been so wrapped up in work that I didn't hear about
    >this information until mid-September.

    Should have set your alarm clock for Spring.
    Kline Sphere, Nov 19, 2003
  17. Tobin

    Guest Guest

    You are preaching to the choir, brother. To the
    ramparts... Allez enfant de la patria
    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  18. Tobin

    Guest Guest

    I know for a fact that Bill Gate's SS# = 666. His real
    name is Damien.
    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  19. Tobin

    Tobin Guest

    I have a reverse cycle hibernation going on. Actually, I
    was so wrapped up in 100 hour work weeks getting a product
    ready instead of playing "testoholic".

    Anyway, I'm not usually one to retract a statement on
    things like this -- especially when I feel the situation
    was rediculous to begin with. But evidently I was able to
    strike a nerve somewhere and Microsoft did show that they
    cared. I wont discuss specifics but they've put me in a
    position to at least reconsider my thoughts and wait to
    see if they mean what they say by changing things for the
    better.

    I had a very good conversation with not one, not two, but
    three Microsoft employees who made certain that I was
    happy. I've never felt the love more.

    Tobin, Nov 20, 2003
  20. Tobin

    Guest Guest