Microsoft fails to have monopoly lawsuit dismissed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    By Declan McCullagh June 10 2004

    A New York court has ruled that Microsoft must continue to fight a
    lawsuit that alleges deceptive and monopolistic business practices

    The New York suit is not an antitrust case. Filed by the law firm of
    Milberg Weiss Bershad & Schulman, it contends Microsoft violated section
    349 of the state's general business code. That section prohibits
    "deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any business, trade or
    commerce" and lets private individuals sue for damages and attorney's fees.

    At the heart of the New York lawsuit is the claim that Microsoft
    violated section 349 by entering into secret agreements with computer
    makers to throttle competition and creating an "applications barriers"
    in its Windows operating system that harmed competitors such as Linux.
    The suit alleges that those practices, which Microsoft denies, resulted
    in higher prices for New York consumers ...

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39157300,00.htm

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux
    TechNews, Jun 11, 2004

  2. TechNews

    Duane Arnold Guest

    TechNews <> wrote in

    > By Declan McCullagh June 10 2004
    >
    > A New York court has ruled that Microsoft must continue to fight a
    > lawsuit that alleges deceptive and monopolistic business practices

    > The New York suit is not an antitrust case. Filed by the law firm of
    > Milberg Weiss Bershad & Schulman, it contends Microsoft violated
    > section 349 of the state's general business code. That section
    > prohibits "deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any business,
    > trade or commerce" and lets private individuals sue for damages and
    > attorney's fees.
    >
    > At the heart of the New York lawsuit is the claim that Microsoft
    > violated section 349 by entering into secret agreements with computer
    > makers to throttle competition and creating an "applications barriers"
    > in its Windows operating system that harmed competitors such as Linux.
    > The suit alleges that those practices, which Microsoft denies,
    > resulted in higher prices for New York consumers ...
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39157300,00.ht

    This is truly sad. You're in the league with Tracker. You continue to post
    this kind of stuff in *clown* proportions. You may need to be christen
    Postie --- Postie the *clown*.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 11, 2004

  3. On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:59:35 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >TechNews <> wrote in
    >

    >> By Declan McCullagh June 10 2004
    >>
    >> A New York court has ruled that Microsoft must continue to fight a
    >> lawsuit that alleges deceptive and monopolistic business practices

    >> The New York suit is not an antitrust case. Filed by the law firm of
    >> Milberg Weiss Bershad & Schulman, it contends Microsoft violated
    >> section 349 of the state's general business code. That section
    >> prohibits "deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any business,
    >> trade or commerce" and lets private individuals sue for damages and
    >> attorney's fees.
    >>
    >> At the heart of the New York lawsuit is the claim that Microsoft
    >> violated section 349 by entering into secret agreements with computer
    >> makers to throttle competition and creating an "applications barriers"
    >> in its Windows operating system that harmed competitors such as Linux.
    >> The suit alleges that those practices, which Microsoft denies,
    >> resulted in higher prices for New York consumers ...
    >>
    >> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39157300,00.ht
    >>

    >This is truly sad. You're in the league with Tracker. You continue to post
    >this kind of stuff in *clown* proportions. You may need to be christen
    >Postie --- Postie the *clown*.

    I think even Debbie might be slightly less annoying that this asswipe!
    The Great Cornholio, Jun 11, 2004
  4. TechNews

    Tim Guest

    TechNews wrote:

    > snipped usual parrotted bilge

    You changed your munged email address from illegally using nospam.net to
    illegally using null.net. Surely it isn't too hard for you to check
    (hint: use whois) to make sure that you don't use a real domain.
    Tim, Jun 11, 2004
  5. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > This is truly sad. You're in the league with Tracker. You continue to post
    > this kind of stuff in *clown* proportions. You may need to be christen
    > Postie --- Postie the *clown*.
    >
    > Duane :)

    ^
    |______ One angry little clown.

    Don't know who Tracker is. But if you find my posts offensive, you are
    welcome to just ignore them, provided that you have sufficient intelligence
    to make this decision... thus far there is little evidence of this.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux
    TechNews, Jun 11, 2004
  6. TechNews

    Duane Arnold Guest

    TechNews <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >

    >> This is truly sad. You're in the league with Tracker. You continue to
    >> post this kind of stuff in *clown* proportions. You may need to be
    >> christen Postie --- Postie the *clown*.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > ^
    > |______ One angry little clown.
    >

    > Don't know who Tracker is. But if you find my posts offensive, you are
    > welcome to just ignore them, provided that you have sufficient
    > intelligence to make this decision... thus far there is little
    > evidence of this.

    Where is your SQL Server expertise?

    Where ss your COM++ and how to program Com++ transactions?

    Where is your C++ expertise?

    Where is your C expertise?

    Where is your Opps expertise?

    Where is your N-tier application development expertise?

    Where is your VB 6 expertise?

    Where is your IIS expertise?

    Where is your ASP expertise?

    Where is your .Net solutions server(s) expertise?

    Where is your .Net programming solutions expertise, like C#, VB, C++?

    I got the little BS MCP and will have the BS MCSD for .NET solutions too.

    This is the kind of expertise I know. I have been doing this kind of
    thing since 1971 when Apple was in a wooden box.

    All I see here of you is that you were a MS MVP whore 16 times over you
    claim and now you're a Linux whore posting and standing on the corner
    looking to be seen.

    Yeah, I find your posts offinsive not because you're talking about MS,
    but because you don't know anything -- not a damn thing posting like a
    *clown*.

    I doubt that you really know Linux.

    If you had any sense at all, you would combine the little knowledge you
    may have with MS and Linux and go make the money, if you can and shut the
    HELL-UP.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 11, 2004
  7. TechNews

    joevan Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:55:46 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >TechNews <> wrote in
    >
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>

    >>> This is truly sad. You're in the league with Tracker. You continue to
    >>> post this kind of stuff in *clown* proportions. You may need to be
    >>> christen Postie --- Postie the *clown*.
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> ^
    >> |______ One angry little clown.
    >>

    >> Don't know who Tracker is. But if you find my posts offensive, you are
    >> welcome to just ignore them, provided that you have sufficient
    >> intelligence to make this decision... thus far there is little
    >> evidence of this.
    >>

    >Where is your SQL Server expertise?
    >
    >Where ss your COM++ and how to program Com++ transactions?
    >
    >Where is your C++ expertise?
    >
    >Where is your C expertise?
    >
    >Where is your Opps expertise?
    >
    >Where is your N-tier application development expertise?
    >
    >Where is your VB 6 expertise?
    >
    >Where is your IIS expertise?
    >
    >Where is your ASP expertise?
    >
    >Where is your .Net solutions server(s) expertise?
    >
    >Where is your .Net programming solutions expertise, like C#, VB, C++?
    >
    >I got the little BS MCP and will have the BS MCSD for .NET solutions too.
    >
    >This is the kind of expertise I know. I have been doing this kind of
    >thing since 1971 when Apple was in a wooden box.
    >
    >All I see here of you is that you were a MS MVP whore 16 times over you
    >claim and now you're a Linux whore posting and standing on the corner
    >looking to be seen.
    >
    >Yeah, I find your posts offinsive not because you're talking about MS,
    >but because you don't know anything -- not a damn thing posting like a
    >*clown*.
    >
    >I doubt that you really know Linux.
    >
    >If you had any sense at all, you would combine the little knowledge you
    >may have with MS and Linux and go make the money, if you can and shut the
    >HELL-UP.
    >
    >Duane :)

    I like the way you do things, and give help to those who deserve it.
    Thanks Duane.
    joevan
    joevan, Jun 11, 2004
  8. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    ^
    |________ One angry and absurd little clown.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux
    TechNews, Jun 11, 2004
  9. TechNews

    Duane Arnold Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:55:46 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>TechNews <> wrote in

    >>> ^
    >>> |______ One angry little clown.
    >>>

    >>> Don't know who Tracker is. But if you find my posts offensive, you
    >>> are welcome to just ignore them, provided that you have sufficient
    >>> intelligence to make this decision... thus far there is little
    >>> evidence of this.
    >>>

    >>Where is your SQL Server expertise?
    >>
    >>Where ss your COM++ and how to program Com++ transactions?
    >>
    >>Where is your C++ expertise?
    >>
    >>Where is your C expertise?
    >>
    >>Where is your Opps expertise?
    >>
    >>Where is your N-tier application development expertise?
    >>
    >>Where is your VB 6 expertise?
    >>
    >>Where is your IIS expertise?
    >>
    >>Where is your ASP expertise?
    >>
    >>Where is your .Net solutions server(s) expertise?
    >>
    >>Where is your .Net programming solutions expertise, like C#, VB, C++?
    >>
    >>I got the little BS MCP and will have the BS MCSD for .NET solutions
    >>too.
    >>
    >>This is the kind of expertise I know. I have been doing this kind of
    >>thing since 1971 when Apple was in a wooden box.
    >>
    >>All I see here of you is that you were a MS MVP whore 16 times over
    >>you claim and now you're a Linux whore posting and standing on the
    >>corner looking to be seen.
    >>
    >>Yeah, I find your posts offinsive not because you're talking about MS,
    >>but because you don't know anything -- not a damn thing posting like a
    >>*clown*.
    >>
    >>I doubt that you really know Linux.
    >>
    >>If you had any sense at all, you would combine the little knowledge
    >>you may have with MS and Linux and go make the money, if you can and
    >>shut the HELL-UP.
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > I like the way you do things, and give help to those who deserve it.
    > Thanks Duane.
    > joevan

    MS is an open O/S by default. One has to know how to close the MS O/S
    down and secure it. There is plenty of information out on the Internet on
    the how-to(s) and there are books such as Windows Security Resource Book
    ISBN 0-7356-1868-2. There is also the Windows XP Professional Resource
    Kit book ISBN-0-7356-18-1974-3. The books discuss the ways to properly
    configure the MS NT based O/S(s) for security.

    The same kind of books is there for Win NT, Win 2K, and Win 2K3
    workstation and server.

    I cannot say too much about ME and down as those O/S(s) were never meant
    to be on the Internet. However, the skilled person can protect them as
    well.

    Skilled people I am sure are not having any issues with the security of
    the MS O/S(s). I am not having any problems and never will as far as that
    is concerned.

    That leaves the unskilled that are having problems with the MS O/S,
    because they don't know what to do with the O/S in securing it or find
    the information. MS will be shutting a lot of things down with the
    release of SP2 on XP, which should help those on XP that apply the SP.

    The other user will have to learn how to secure the MS O/S being used.
    And again not to much can be done for ME and down but to uninstall File
    and Print Sharing if one can, run a good AV, install a host based FW or
    cheap NAT router in front of the machine.

    Linux is not that bed of roses everyone is lead to believe - no way and
    no how. It's just another O/S that's being used and the O/S programmers
    for Linux put the pant leg on one leg at a time as does the MS
    programmers.

    The Linux programmers are Human Beings and they are not infallible, so
    don't expect anything any Human Being does to be perfect and secure. They
    are just programs. The thing with Linux is that it doesn't have the
    unskilled using the O/S as does MS.

    Postie with Linux to the rescue!

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 11, 2004
  10. TechNews

    Duane Arnold Guest

    TechNews <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> <Delusional bullshit sniped>
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > ^
    > |________ One angry and absurd little clown.

    You know I did try to keep my *clown* radar detection sweeps to low
    intensity. But you lit up the screen so well like a 747. I look forward
    to reading some of your Linux *Tool Tips* about big old bad M$. <g>

    Postie - Postie the *clown* you're in league with *Tracker* and you will
    save the world with Linux news at 11. :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 11, 2004
  11. TechNews

    Ron Martell Guest

    TechNews <> wrote:

    >> Duane :)

    > ^
    > |________ One angry and absurd little clown.
    >
    >--
    >Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux

    http://isc.incidents.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-14&isc=5d042324768853b55b27cec4d9741d09

    Linux kernel local DoS - Yahoo/Google (Akamai?) problems
    Large Websites Unreachable (update. added June 15th 9:41 am EDT)

    Several sources worldwide report that large websites, among them
    Yahoo, Microsoft and Google, are currently not reachable due to DNS
    problems.
    It is suspected at this time that the root cause is a problem with
    Akamai's DNS service
    (see the diary for the 15th for more updates)
    http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-15

    Linux kernel local DoS

    A local crash against Linux kernels on x86 has been released. Working
    code has been released that crashes affected kernels (latest 2.4 and
    2.6). The program has been confirmed to crash kernels protected with
    the Openwall and grsecurity kernel patches. If you run a public shell
    server, it would be wise to patch your kernel now.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jun 16, 2004
  12. TechNews

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote in

    > TechNews <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Duane :)

    >> ^
    >> |________ One angry and absurd little clown.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux

    > http://isc.incidents.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-14&isc=5d042324768853b5
    > 5b27cec4d9741d09
    >
    > Linux kernel local DoS - Yahoo/Google (Akamai?) problems
    > Large Websites Unreachable (update. added June 15th 9:41 am EDT)
    >
    > Several sources worldwide report that large websites, among them
    > Yahoo, Microsoft and Google, are currently not reachable due to DNS
    > problems.
    > It is suspected at this time that the root cause is a problem with
    > Akamai's DNS service
    > (see the diary for the 15th for more updates)
    > http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-15
    >

    > Linux kernel local DoS
    >
    > A local crash against Linux kernels on x86 has been released. Working
    > code has been released that crashes affected kernels (latest 2.4 and
    > 2.6). The program has been confirmed to crash kernels protected with
    > the Openwall and grsecurity kernel patches. If you run a public shell
    > server, it would be wise to patch your kernel now.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    I read that Linux was having some DoS issues and some other issues as
    well. One doesn't hear about them on the scale like it's heard with MS.

    Both O/S(s) can be made secure if one knows what he or she is doing.
    That's the bottom line. :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 16, 2004
  13. Ron Martell, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
    wrote:

    > TechNews <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Duane :)

    >> ^
    >> |________ One angry and absurd little clown.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux

    http://isc.incidents.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-14&isc=5d042324768853b55b27cec4d9741d09

    > Linux kernel local DoS - Yahoo/Google (Akamai?) problems
    > Large Websites Unreachable (update. added June 15th 9:41 am EDT)
    >
    > Several sources worldwide report that large websites, among them
    > Yahoo, Microsoft and Google, are currently not reachable due to DNS
    > problems.
    > It is suspected at this time that the root cause is a problem with
    > Akamai's DNS service
    > (see the diary for the 15th for more updates)
    > http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-15
    >

    > Linux kernel local DoS
    >
    > A local crash against Linux kernels on x86 has been released. Working
    > code has been released that crashes affected kernels (latest 2.4 and
    > 2.6). The program has been confirmed to crash kernels protected with
    > the Openwall and grsecurity kernel patches. If you run a public shell
    > server, it would be wise to patch your kernel now.

    You moron...the thing needs to be downloaded, compiled, then run in a console.
    Not even M$ users are that stoopid, but apparently you're an exception. LMAO!
    --
    Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon
    11:29am up 5 days 14:53, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.08, 0.02
    Norwegian Formula, Jun 16, 2004
  14. TechNews

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote in

    > TechNews <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Duane :)

    >> ^
    >> |________ One angry and absurd little clown.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux

    > http://isc.incidents.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-14&isc=5d042324768853b5
    > 5b27cec4d9741d09
    >
    > Linux kernel local DoS - Yahoo/Google (Akamai?) problems
    > Large Websites Unreachable (update. added June 15th 9:41 am EDT)
    >
    > Several sources worldwide report that large websites, among them
    > Yahoo, Microsoft and Google, are currently not reachable due to DNS
    > problems.
    > It is suspected at this time that the root cause is a problem with
    > Akamai's DNS service
    > (see the diary for the 15th for more updates)
    > http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-15
    >

    > Linux kernel local DoS
    >
    > A local crash against Linux kernels on x86 has been released. Working
    > code has been released that crashes affected kernels (latest 2.4 and
    > 2.6). The program has been confirmed to crash kernels protected with
    > the Openwall and grsecurity kernel patches. If you run a public shell
    > server, it would be wise to patch your kernel now.

    Your information is correct and it cannot be overlooked and dismissed.
    There is always an excuse and they are a dime a dozen.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 16, 2004