Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/78143/microsoft-explains-its-decision-to-back-hd-dvd.html

    Thursday 29th September 2005

    Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD

    Microsoft has explained its decision to back the HD DVD format for
    high-definition optical discs rather than the rival Blu-ray
    specification.

    Jordi Ribas, Microsoft's director of technology strategy for Windows
    Digital Media told Tom's Hardware Guide that the company's previous
    neutrality had been abandoned because Blu-ray failed to meet six key
    criteria.

    'A year and a half ago, both format organisations had very similar
    goals, and to some extent, the story of Blu-ray was actually very
    powerful,' he said. 'It had higher capacity, it had what we would
    consider benefits at the time. But then as time went on, and we'd seen
    what's the reality of both formats today, and what were promises
    versus what's proven and what's real, that's when we decided to make
    the decision.'

    The six features that Microsoft and Intel require are: the ability of
    the consumer to make authorised copies of their discs so that they can
    store content on a hard drive and stream it around the house; support
    for hybrid discs that can be read by both current and future players;
    low production costs; low replication costs; and storage capacity.

    On the last point Ribas explained that although on paper Blu-ray has
    the advantage, there is no evidence that 50GB discs exist anywhere
    outside the lab and nor does it look like happening.

    Microsoft's decision to throw its considerable weight behind HD DVD
    coincided with a similar commitment from the equally weighty Intel.
    Until recently it looked as if Blu-ray had seized the initiative in
    what promises to be a mighty tussle to capture the high-definition
    market in 2006 and beyond. It now seems that HD DVD has grabbed it
    back.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 9/29/2005 6:14:59 AM, Allan wrote:

    > Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD

    Translation: Sony backs Blu-Ray; ergo, we don't.
    --
    "I'm your huckleberry."

    Now playing: "Oceansize - No Tomorrow"
    Tarkus, Sep 29, 2005

  3. On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:12:36 -0700, Tarkus <> Gave
    us:

    >On 9/29/2005 6:14:59 AM, Allan wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD

    >Translation: Sony backs Blu-Ray; ergo, we don't.

    Sony: Playstation

    MS: XBOX 360

    Expected sales: Millions of pieces.
    NunYa Bidness, Oct 3, 2005
  4. Allan

    Guest

    NunYa Bidness wrote:
    > >> Microsoft explains its decision to back HD DVD

    > >Translation: Sony backs Blu-Ray; ergo, we don't.

    > Sony: Playstation
    >
    > MS: XBOX 360
    >
    > Expected sales: Millions of pieces.

    The problem for HD-DVD right now is:

    Sony: Blu-ray will be equipped on every single PS3 sold

    MS: HD-DVD may or may not come to the Xbox 360 eventually, but most
    systems will just have a standard DVD drive

    Guess who has the edge here?

    The only question right now is "Will PS3's be able to play Blu-ray
    movies right out of the box?" And Sony would be damned fools not to
    have this feature standard.

    -Eric
    , Oct 4, 2005
  5. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/4/2005 6:05:31 AM, wrote:

    > Sony: Blu-ray will be equipped on every single PS3 sold
    >
    > MS: HD-DVD may or may not come to the Xbox 360 eventually, but most
    > systems will just have a standard DVD drive
    >
    > Guess who has the edge here?
    >
    > The only question right now is "Will PS3's be able to play Blu-ray
    > movies right out of the box?" And Sony would be damned fools not to
    > have this feature standard.

    Why wouldn't they?
    --
    "I don't think anything bad ought to happen to children.
    I think the bad stuff should be saved up for the people

    Now playing: "Adrian Belew - Nude Wrestling With a Christma"
    Tarkus, Oct 4, 2005