    Has anyone tried MS Exchange Server 2003 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 x64 yet?

    Regards

    John
    John, Jun 23, 2005

  2. John

    Ian Guest

    I tried - it told me that Exchange was not supported by the Windows Server
    2003 x64
    and I hope that is was just a glitch and I was wrong - because I will try it
    again.

    Ian, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Maybe it is and all you need to apply is the Service Pack 1 to fix it.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 24, 2005
  4. Not supported, and won't run on x64. Period. Sorry, this is one of the most
    annoying glitches with x64 that I know of, and it's something that won't get
    fixed before there's another version of Exchange. The problem is that
    Exchange uses a system level driver that is 32-bit and can't be easily ported
    to 64-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 24, 2005
  5. nope. Not supported, doesn't work, and won't work before we have a new
    version of Exchange, is my guess.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 24, 2005
  6. And they really expect people to migrate to x64 on the Server side? I guess
    its only File and Printer services for the time being then.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 24, 2005
  7. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > And they really expect people to migrate to x64 on the Server side? I
    > guess its only File and Printer services for the time being then.
    > --

    Firstly it is not a "glitch" as Charlie states, but it is related to some
    kernel level components within Exchange 2003.
    Yes Exchange will not be supported on x64 until a later release.
    But there are still many uses for x64 servers
    Domain Controllers for large domains, File and Print, as well as SQL Server
    2005 x64 and the other new server products as we ship them later this year
    and next

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 24, 2005
  8. Mike Brannigan [MSFT] <> wrote:
    >> And they really expect people to migrate to x64 on the Server side? I
    >> guess its only File and Printer services for the time being then.
    >> --

    > Firstly it is not a "glitch" as Charlie states, but it is related to
    > some kernel level components within Exchange 2003.
    > Yes Exchange will not be supported on x64 until a later release.
    > But there are still many uses for x64 servers
    > Domain Controllers for large domains, File and Print, as well as SQL
    > Server 2005 x64 and the other new server products as we ship them
    > later this year and next
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike

    I agree with you Mike, we have a farm with 4 servers in x64, all of them for
    Sharepoint Portal Server. Only the last one, runing Exchange (one or the
    other way, it's not good to run Exchange on the same server as SPS) is on
    x86... And everything is ok so far....
    Can't wait for the new x64 version of SPS and SQL....

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 24, 2005
  9. You're right, it isn't a glitch. But it is a missing piece of the server side
    puzzle that I'm very sorry isn't included. That being said, there are many
    other areas where 64-bit makes a huge improvement on the server side. I
    actually wrote the deployment scenarios whitepaper that's up on MS.com:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/deploy.mspx

    Another big win for x64 is Terminal Services.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 24, 2005
  10. "Christian Hougardy" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Brannigan [MSFT] <> wrote:
    >>> And they really expect people to migrate to x64 on the Server side? I
    >>> guess its only File and Printer services for the time being then.
    >>> --

    >> Firstly it is not a "glitch" as Charlie states, but it is related to
    >> some kernel level components within Exchange 2003.
    >> Yes Exchange will not be supported on x64 until a later release.
    >> But there are still many uses for x64 servers
    >> Domain Controllers for large domains, File and Print, as well as SQL
    >> Server 2005 x64 and the other new server products as we ship them
    >> later this year and next
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Mike

    > I agree with you Mike, we have a farm with 4 servers in x64, all of them
    > for Sharepoint Portal Server. Only the last one, runing Exchange (one or
    > the other way, it's not good to run Exchange on the same server as SPS) is
    > on x86... And everything is ok so far....
    > Can't wait for the new x64 version of SPS and SQL....

    Well the SQL Server 2005 is only a few months away.
    As regards a later x64 SharePoint Portal Server I'm not sure - I'll have a
    look around

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 24, 2005
  11. >
    > Well the SQL Server 2005 is only a few months away.
    > As regards a later x64 SharePoint Portal Server I'm not sure - I'll
    > have a look around
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks Mike, I assume that as soon as we have a Office x64, we'll have a SPS
    x64 ;)

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 24, 2005
  12. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for all the info

    John

    P. S. (Microsoft)

    MS should post this information on its MS Exchange Web Site

    John, Jun 24, 2005
  13. "John" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all the info
    >
    > John
    >

    > P. S. (Microsoft)
    >
    > MS should post this information on its MS Exchange Web Site

    We do by default.
    If you look at the system requirements for Exchange 2003 we do not say we
    support x64 Windows Server 2003 as a platform.
    http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/sysreqs/2003.mspx

    As our server products are released that support x64 it will say so in their
    system requirements.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 24, 2005
  14. We use our 64 bit version of Windows 2003 to run SQL Server. It runs awesome
    too. As far as exchange, nope. 64 bit servers are only good for dedication
    right now. Still too early in the game.
    --
    Fritz
    Computer type person

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJpdHo=?=, Jun 24, 2005
  15. Yep, SPS for x64 looks like a part of Office 12 system.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 25, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > And they really expect people to migrate to x64 on the Server side? I guess
    > its only File and Printer services for the time being then.

    I wouldn't do a print server with x64 either, because it uses different
    drivers on the server (x64) than on the client (x86). It is possible,
    but it is quite a bit more difficult to set up.

    Database servers is where I would use x64 :)

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jun 25, 2005
  17. "Thomas Steffen" <> wrote in message
    > Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    >
    >> And they really expect people to migrate to x64 on the Server side? I
    >> guess its only File and Printer services for the time being then.

    > I wouldn't do a print server with x64 either, because it uses different
    > drivers on the server (x64) than on the client (x86). It is possible, but
    > it is quite a bit more difficult to set up.

    Nonsense.

    What is difficult about putting the CD in for the other Operating System you
    want to support? - It takes about 30 seconds to add the additional drivers
    for the other operating systems

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 25, 2005
  18. Exactly, Thomas is making x64 seem completely useless, not everyone using it
    for databases, it definitely makes a great print and file server.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 25, 2005
  19. John

    Peter Lawton Guest

    But surely to add adittional 32bit drivers you have to have native x64
    printer drivers installed first, which seem to be in very short supply too
    at the moment?

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jun 25, 2005