MICROSOFT EXAMS

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Steve, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I have noticed that there is a growing tendancy with
    people taking MCP/MCSA/MCSE exams to study Cheat Sheets
    and forget about learning the subject, armed with all the
    answers they are going and sitting the exam and passing,
    which is making a mockery of Microsoft's qualification
    system.

    Most potential employers haven't got a clue when hiring
    these numpties, who give the rest of the IT community a
    bad name when they screw up big time. It will only be a
    matter of time before employers get wise and stop hiring
    MCSE's.

    Comeon Microsoft, I know you are only in the
    certification game for the revenue it produces, but isn't
    it about time you done something to make this worthless
    paper qualification worth something?

    If I wanted to I can log onto TestKing and download all
    369 questions for about $69. Shouldn't you have better
    security or something. A few years ago, people in India
    were paying professional exam-takers to sit their exams
    for them. Surely you should be suspicious of anyone
    going into an exam and completing it in 10 minutes flat
    with a near 100% score.

    Call me old fashion, but I believe the only way to pass a
    technical exam is to know your subject before hand, and
    even if the pass mark is 540 and you get 541, it proves
    it is your own work not remembered from a cheat sheet.

    Regards

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Steve

    Rick Guest

    This subject comes up about every 30 days in this news group. The answer is
    that a good IS department will only use the Certification as a starting
    point in the hiring process. A thorough interview should always be given to
    any potential candidate by company personnel who are knowledgeable in the
    candidates area of expertise. I for one have been on many job interviews
    where there is a test giving as part of the process. Much the same we are
    looking to hire a couple of part time technicians from one of our local tech
    schools. My current plan is to look at some of the A+ Network+ and Server+
    material and create a test to judge their skills.

    These same arguments were made about the NT4 certification yet people are
    still hiring MCSE's. Just my two cents

    Rick

    Rick, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Steve

    Adam Brass Guest

    I agree. Assuming the company already has an IT department, it shouldn't be
    too difficult to weed out the paper MCSEs from the real MCSEs. I laugh at
    the people who have MCSE but cannot even create a user in active directory.

    Adam Brass, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Steve

    Kendal Emery Guest

    You can create users in Active Directory????

    Sorr, sarcasm flows like honey today
    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Steve

    Consultant Guest

    this is a new concept

    Consultant, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Steve

    Sir Kozz Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > I have noticed that there is a growing tendancy with
    > people taking MCP/MCSA/MCSE exams to study Cheat Sheets
    > and forget about learning the subject, armed with all the
    > answers they are going and sitting the exam and passing,
    > which is making a mockery of Microsoft's qualification
    > system.

    If ms cared than they would also have a pratical exam for every test.

    > Most potential employers haven't got a clue when hiring
    > these numpties, who give the rest of the IT community a
    > bad name when they screw up big time. It will only be a
    > matter of time before employers get wise and stop hiring
    > MCSE's.

    Sad but not entirley true, employers want the peice of paper so they can say
    "all are techs are MCP's" ect.

    > Comeon Microsoft, I know you are only in the
    > certification game for the revenue it produces, but isn't
    > it about time you done something to make this worthless
    > paper qualification worth something?

    Capitalism, baby!!

    > If I wanted to I can log onto TestKing and download all
    > 369 questions for about $69. Shouldn't you have better
    > security or something. A few years ago, people in India
    > were paying professional exam-takers to sit their exams
    > for them. Surely you should be suspicious of anyone
    > going into an exam and completing it in 10 minutes flat
    > with a near 100% score.

    Isn't there an old saying, cheaters never prosper?????

    > Call me old fashion, but I believe the only way to pass a
    > technical exam is to know your subject before hand, and
    > even if the pass mark is 540 and you get 541, it proves
    > it is your own work not remembered from a cheat sheet.

    Old fashion????????? I've been a field engineer for 15+ years, and
    ex-military, most technical exams are open book,(testing you on where to get
    the correct answers) theory tests are always closed,(do you have a clue how
    this works) Correct me if I'm wrong but most ms exams are mixed with both,
    so there is no easy answer?????? Like I said earlier if they realy cared
    they would give you a practical(you know how to work on the gear) just like
    all the maintenaince schools I've been to.

    BTW I'm not really disagring with you just giving you a different
    perception.

    Thanx Chris

    Sir Kozz, Oct 5, 2003