    meeting with the sole intent of voting in favour of Open XML. ""

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 3, 2007

  2. Jonathan Walker

    thingy Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/8BC6C3D6B6CF9E0ACC257347007163C3
    >
    > "" Microsoft admitted Wednesday that an employee at its Swedish subsidiary
    > offered monetary compensation to partners for voting in favour of the
    > Office Open XML document format's approval as an ISO standard. ... But
    > bloggers claiming to have been present at the SIS meeting wrote (here and
    > here) that more than 20 companies showed up in the waning moments of the
    > meeting with the sole intent of voting in favour of Open XML. ""

    I wonder that even if MS gets the ISO it wants this dodgy dealing is
    going to turn into a longer term PR disaster for them....it is all over
    the tech press with none commenting favorably....and while before some
    may have dismissed OSS "zealots" when they complained about MS, this is
    a very public de-frocking for MS's style of business....

    I'm hoping it will do more PR damage for them globally than they can
    dream of in their worst nightmares....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 3, 2007

  3. On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:58:47 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > I wonder that even if MS gets the ISO it wants this dodgy dealing is going
    > to turn into a longer term PR disaster for them....it is all over the tech
    > press with none commenting favorably....and while before some may have
    > dismissed OSS "zealots" when they complained about MS, this is a very
    > public de-frocking for MS's style of business....
    >
    > I'm hoping it will do more PR damage for them globally than they can dream
    > of in their worst nightmares....

    To which I can only say... those who have eyes to see already knew that
    what happened with the OOXML and the ISO approval process is business as
    usual for Micro$oft.

    Micro$oft is not a corporation that plays by the rules It is on record for
    its executives even having lied to its own staff. It cannot be trusted to
    carry out what it agrees to do.

    Hence the sig below...

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 4, 2007
  4. Jonathan Walker

    BrianM Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:58:47 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/8BC6C3D6B6CF9E0ACC257347007163C3
    >>
    >> "" Microsoft admitted Wednesday that an employee at its Swedish subsidiary
    >> offered monetary compensation to partners for voting in favour of the
    >> Office Open XML document format's approval as an ISO standard. ... But
    >> bloggers claiming to have been present at the SIS meeting wrote (here and
    >> here) that more than 20 companies showed up in the waning moments of the
    >> meeting with the sole intent of voting in favour of Open XML. ""
    >>

    > I wonder that even if MS gets the ISO it wants this dodgy dealing is
    > going to turn into a longer term PR disaster for them....it is all over
    > the tech press with none commenting favorably....and while before some
    > may have dismissed OSS "zealots" when they complained about MS, this is
    > a very public de-frocking for MS's style of business....
    >
    > I'm hoping it will do more PR damage for them globally than they can
    > dream of in their worst nightmares....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I doubt it Thing, are their shares diving like some recent kiwi finance
    companies? At Microsoft it's business as usual. A fitting company motto
    would be something like ......... by any means, foul or foul. From what
    I've read up to date, they will lose the vote and bloody good show.
    Unfortunately the ISO will suffer the after-stench for a long time.
    cheers
    brianM

    BrianM, Sep 4, 2007
  5. On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:14:52 +0000, BrianM wrote:

    >> I wonder that even if MS gets the ISO it wants this dodgy dealing is
    >> going to turn into a longer term PR disaster for them....it is all over
    >> the tech press with none commenting favorably....and while before some
    >> may have dismissed OSS "zealots" when they complained about MS, this is
    >> a very public de-frocking for MS's style of business....
    >>
    >> I'm hoping it will do more PR damage for them globally than they can
    >> dream of in their worst nightmares....
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > I doubt it Thing, are their shares diving like some recent kiwi finance
    > companies? At Microsoft it's business as usual. A fitting company motto
    > would be something like ......... by any means, foul or foul. From what
    > I've read up to date, they will lose the vote and bloody good show.
    > Unfortunately the ISO will suffer the after-stench for a long time.

    It's official. the JTC1 vote failed to achieve more than 66.66% of votes
    cast as "yes" (51%), and also failed to achieve less than 25% of votes cast
    as "no" (26%).

    Worth pointing out that when the ODF standard was voted on there were zero
    "no" votes cast against it, and it went through the regular assessment
    process, not the fast track process.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 4, 2007
  6. Jonathan Walker

    BrianM Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:44:37 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:14:52 +0000, BrianM wrote:
    >
    >>> I wonder that even if MS gets the ISO it wants this dodgy dealing is
    >>> going to turn into a longer term PR disaster for them....it is all over
    >>> the tech press with none commenting favorably....and while before some
    >>> may have dismissed OSS "zealots" when they complained about MS, this is
    >>> a very public de-frocking for MS's style of business....
    >>>
    >>> I'm hoping it will do more PR damage for them globally than they can
    >>> dream of in their worst nightmares....
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >> I doubt it Thing, are their shares diving like some recent kiwi finance
    >> companies? At Microsoft it's business as usual. A fitting company motto
    >> would be something like ......... by any means, foul or foul. From what
    >> I've read up to date, they will lose the vote and bloody good show.
    >> Unfortunately the ISO will suffer the after-stench for a long time.

    > It's official. the JTC1 vote failed to achieve more than 66.66% of votes
    > cast as "yes" (51%), and also failed to achieve less than 25% of votes cast
    > as "no" (26%).
    >
    > Worth pointing out that when the ODF standard was voted on there were zero
    > "no" votes cast against it, and it went through the regular assessment
    > process, not the fast track process.

    Why am I not surprised ! but it shows that there are buyable
    countries out there - a bit like the IWS.
    Thanks for the info
    brianM

    BrianM, Sep 5, 2007
  7. Jonathan Walker

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2007-09-03, thingy <> wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/8BC6C3D6B6CF9E0ACC257347007163C3
    >>
    >> "" Microsoft admitted Wednesday that an employee at its Swedish subsidiary
    >> offered monetary compensation to partners for voting in favour of the
    >> Office Open XML document format's approval as an ISO standard. ... But
    >> bloggers claiming to have been present at the SIS meeting wrote (here and
    >> here) that more than 20 companies showed up in the waning moments of the
    >> meeting with the sole intent of voting in favour of Open XML. ""

    > I wonder that even if MS gets the ISO it wants this dodgy dealing is
    > going to turn into a longer term PR disaster for them....it is all over
    > the tech press with none commenting favorably....and while before some
    > may have dismissed OSS "zealots" when they complained about MS, this is
    > a very public de-frocking for MS's style of business....

    The US supreme court couldn't stop them, the EU has had limited
    success.

    > I'm hoping it will do more PR damage for them globally than they can
    > dream of in their worst nightmares....

    I doubt that. I may change their behavior, but I doubt that too.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Sep 9, 2007