    <http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/11/microsoft-embraces-first-wave-
    kinect-innovation>

    <http://bit.ly/gmqbeg>
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 23, 2010

  2. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    On Nov 24, 10:15 am, Bret <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:28:07 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    > > Mutley wrote:

    > >> Glad MS  have seen the lite rather than the law books  and see it as
    > >> an  opportunity to sell  more Kinects  and  support a Kincect
    > >> community.

    > > Yes indeed. I saw a demo of such a "hack" and see that the Kinect can
    > > determine the depth of what the camera is looking at - essentially a "z"
    > > dimension to the video input. I wonder how technically it does this:
    > > bouncing a beam off the subject and measuring the response time? Using two
    > > offset cameras and determining depth from the different in frames?

    > Two cameras I believe.

    "The depth sensor consists of an infrared laser projector combined
    with a monochrome CMOS sensor, and allows the Kinect sensor to see in
    3D under any ambient light conditions.[9][22] The sensing range of the
    depth sensor is adjustable, with the Kinect software capable of
    automatically calibrating the sensor based on gameplay and the
    player's physical environment, such as the presence of furniture.[23]"

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect>
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 23, 2010