"Microsoft" email actually virus

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Echuca, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Echuca

    Echuca Guest

    Hello

    Have just received & deleted two fairly authenic looking emails supposedly
    from Microsoft but actually emails containing trojans/viruses - and detected
    by
    my anti-virus software (www.Vet.com.au). Both had attachments.

    I know these are not new but thought I'd bring them to the attention of
    anyone who may be
    interested that they are still going around. The details are:-

    1. Says it is from :Microsoft Technical Service" with a subject heading of
    "Last Network Email System Critical Upgrade" & an attachment. Have viewed
    the
    body of the email without opening it, & it reads extremely authenically &
    certainly looks like it is from MS.

    2. Says it is from "MS Network Email System" with a subject heading of
    "Failure Advice" & an attachment. Again the body of the email reads well -
    refers to a virus
    being the cause & says it caught & deleted it.

    Thought that reporting these examples may be of some assistance to someone.

    Please note:... the emails were deleted & just to be sure I ran a full virus
    scan on my hard drives.
    I also never open any attachment unless I am aware of the source & run a
    virus checker over it etc.
    In these cases I was also alerted by the fact that I do not subscribe to any
    MS Network services.

    Regards from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    http://www.visitvictoria.com/

    Echuca, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Echuca

    Moz Champion Guest

    Echuca wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Have just received & deleted two fairly authenic looking emails supposedly
    > from Microsoft but actually emails containing trojans/viruses - and detected
    > by
    > my anti-virus software (www.Vet.com.au). Both had attachments.
    >
    > I know these are not new but thought I'd bring them to the attention of
    > anyone who may be
    > interested that they are still going around. The details are:-
    >
    > 1. Says it is from :Microsoft Technical Service" with a subject heading of
    > "Last Network Email System Critical Upgrade" & an attachment. Have viewed
    > the
    > body of the email without opening it, & it reads extremely authenically &
    > certainly looks like it is from MS.
    >
    > 2. Says it is from "MS Network Email System" with a subject heading of
    > "Failure Advice" & an attachment. Again the body of the email reads well -
    > refers to a virus
    > being the cause & says it caught & deleted it.
    >
    > Thought that reporting these examples may be of some assistance to someone.
    >
    > Please note:... the emails were deleted & just to be sure I ran a full virus
    > scan on my hard drives.
    > I also never open any attachment unless I am aware of the source & run a
    > virus checker over it etc.
    > In these cases I was also alerted by the fact that I do not subscribe to any
    > MS Network services.
    >
    > Regards from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    > http://www.visitvictoria.com/

    If you practiced 'safe hex' this warning is superfleous <g>

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Oct 26, 2004