    Should I answer or ignore it?

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 4, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    David Empson Guest

    Geopelia <> wrote:

    > I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    > requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    > It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    > suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >
    > Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >
    > Should I answer or ignore it?

    Ignore it. It is spam.

    You should assume that any e-mail requesting any of your passwords is
    spam and probably an attempt to steal or gain access to whatever is
    protected by that password.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Oct 4, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 05/10/12 00:53, Geopelia wrote:

    > I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    > requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    > It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    > suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >
    > Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >
    > Should I answer or ignore it?
    >
    > Thank you

    Don't do it Geo. It's a phishing SPAM. Anyone can put a link to
    Microsoft's privacy policy - it's a publicly accessible document by its
    very nature.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 4, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 5/10/2012 12:53 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    > requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    > It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    > suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >
    > Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >
    > Should I answer or ignore it?

    ALWAYS delete an email asking you for username and/or password. Without
    exception.
    Gib Bogle, Oct 5, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    > requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    > It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    > suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >
    > Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >
    > Should I answer or ignore it?
    >
    > Thank you

    Of course it's malicious!

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 5, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    >> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    >> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    >> suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >>
    >> Should I answer or ignore it?
    >>
    >> Thank you

    > Of course it's malicious!

    Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
    They are getting craftier.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 5, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 23:42:34 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, , Geopelia
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    >>> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    >>> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    >>> suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >>>
    >>> Should I answer or ignore it?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you

    >> Of course it's malicious!
    >>

    >Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
    >They are getting craftier.
    >Geopelia

    Looking genuine is how they suck people in. Watch out for this kind of
    scam purporting to be from trading banks, courier companies and
    TradeMe.
    Donchano, Oct 5, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-10-05, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, , Geopelia
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    >>> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    >>> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    >>> suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >>>
    >>> Should I answer or ignore it?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you

    >> Of course it's malicious!
    >>

    > Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
    > They are getting craftier.

    You will make a great detective in your next life time.
    Gordon, Oct 6, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-10-05, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 23:42:34 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, , Geopelia
    >>> says...

    >>> Of course it's malicious!
    >>>

    >>Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
    >>They are getting craftier.
    >>Geopelia

    > Looking genuine is how they suck people in. Watch out for this kind of
    > scam purporting to be from trading banks, courier companies and
    > TradeMe.

    Or from our electeld represenstives.

    Read Trust no one, not even ones self. As a Harry said in 1975. ( a co
    worker)
    Gordon, Oct 6, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2012-10-05, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, , Geopelia
    >>> says...

    >>> Of course it's malicious!
    >>>

    >> Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this
    >> time.
    >> They are getting craftier.

    > You will make a great detective in your next life time.

    Not me, I'll be one of the villains!
    Geopelia, Oct 6, 2012
  11. In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    >requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    >It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    >suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >
    >Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >
    >Should I answer or ignore it?

    You know the answer Geo ... you just want someone else to confirm. :)
    Organisations don't ask for login/customer details by email, so yes, you are
    right again, it's a spam fishing expedition. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 7, 2012
  12. In article <k4mdj0$f77$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, , Geopelia
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    >>> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    >>> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    >>> suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >>>
    >>> Should I answer or ignore it?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you

    >> Of course it's malicious!

    >Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
    >They are getting craftier.

    Anyone can steal a logo (or even an entire web page or pages). Check the
    link (a hover will usually do this ... or better ...
    1) read all email as text
    2) if you don't 1, you can still "view source" and see where the apparently
    genuine links *really* go to. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 7, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:k4t16t$3m1$...
    > In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >>I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    >>requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    >>It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    >>suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >>
    >>Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >>
    >>Should I answer or ignore it?

    > You know the answer Geo ... you just want someone else to confirm. :)
    > Organisations don't ask for login/customer details by email, so yes, you
    > are
    > right again, it's a spam fishing expedition. :)

    I can spot most of them, but some look so genuine, like this one.

    Somebody needs to invent a button we can push to zap the senders.
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2012
  14. In article <k52nqc$spa$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:k4t16t$3m1$...
    >> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$>, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
    >>>requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
    >>>It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
    >>>suspicious because it asks for my password.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
    >>>
    >>>Should I answer or ignore it?

    >> You know the answer Geo ... you just want someone else to confirm. :)
    >> Organisations don't ask for login/customer details by email, so yes, you
    >> are
    >> right again, it's a spam fishing expedition. :)
    >>

    >I can spot most of them, but some look so genuine, like this one.
    >Somebody needs to invent a button we can push to zap the senders.

    In some of the sending countries, a hit man is cheap. If every recipient put
    in a buck or two each time ... :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 10, 2012