    replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will not be renewed. I've
    assumed that these are also bogus, or am I being paranoid??
    Thanks in advance.
    jason.p, Jun 20, 2004

  2. jason.p

    Boomer Guest

    "jason.p" <> wrote:

    > Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few emails
    > supposedly from Microsoft advising me to download the latest
    > security updates (I do in fact keep up to date with them
    > anyway). Is it reasonable to assume that these are bogus?
    > I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for confirmation of
    > my membership details. The latest is one that tells me that as I
    > haven't replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will
    > not be renewed. I've assumed that these are also bogus, or am I
    > being paranoid?? Thanks in advance.

    Delete them!
    Boomer, Jun 20, 2004

  3. jason.p

    PJB Guest

    "jason.p" <> wrote in message
    > Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few

    emails supposedly from
    > Microsoft advising me to download the latest security

    updates (I do in fact
    > keep up to date with them anyway). Is it reasonable to

    assume that these are
    > bogus?
    > I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for

    confirmation of my
    > membership details. The latest is one that tells me that

    as I haven't
    > replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will

    not be renewed. I've
    > assumed that these are also bogus, or am I being

    paranoid??
    > Thanks in advance.

    usually spoof emails from Microsoft have a "security
    upgrade" as an attachment. If the email is just telling you
    to keep up-to-date, then it's not really malicous. As for
    Ebay, get in touch with them, and ask them if your account
    is still current..

    P.
    PJB, Jun 20, 2004
  4. jason.p

    sethra Guest

    "jason.p" <> wrote in

    > Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few emails supposedly
    > from Microsoft advising me to download the latest security updates (I
    > do in fact keep up to date with them anyway). Is it reasonable to
    > assume that these are bogus?
    > I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for confirmation of my
    > membership details. The latest is one that tells me that as I haven't
    > replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will not be
    > renewed. I've assumed that these are also bogus, or am I being
    > paranoid?? Thanks in advance.

    Microsoft NEVER distributes security updates via email.

    NEVER.

    Ebay may contact you via email, but they will NEVER ask via email for
    logins, passwords, credit card numbers, or any other confidential data.

    NEVER.

    (Neither will your bank or any other legitimate online business. Email is
    *NOT* secure.)

    Just delete them all, or better yet report them to spamcop, the source
    isp, the FTC, and Ebay if it's an Ebay spoof.

    You might also want to check out the FAQs and info pages on Ebay's
    Safeharbor section. They have information and instructions on what to do
    if you receive a spoofed Ebay email. Windowsupdate has a FAQ also.

    Regards,
    --
    ~sethra
    sethra, Jun 20, 2004
  5. On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:41:41 +0100, "jason.p" <>
    wrote:

    >Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few emails supposedly from
    >Microsoft advising me to download the latest security updates (I do in fact
    >keep up to date with them anyway). Is it reasonable to assume that these are
    >bogus?
    >I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for confirmation of my
    >membership details. The latest is one that tells me that as I haven't
    >replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will not be renewed. I've
    >assumed that these are also bogus, or am I being paranoid??
    >Thanks in advance.

    Any e-mails purporting to be from Microsoft containing an attachment
    is going to be bogus. You should really have an anti-virus program
    that will pick them up and qurantine them. Likewise, any e-mail
    claiming to be from E-bay asking you to go to a website and enter your
    account details is going to be a scam. You can forward those messages
    to spoof (at) e.bay.com for further investigation.
    The Great Cornholio, Jun 20, 2004
  6. Totally ignore the purported emails from Ebay. Someone is trying to collect
    information from you that you should NOT pass on.
    Karen

    Karen Kording, Jun 21, 2004