    Of course, I have heard at least one comment that Microsoft gets to deduct
    the full retail price of these licences off its taxable income. But that
    doesn’t make sense: surely you only get to deduct money you actually spent?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 19, 11:46 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > Now this automatic licence grant is being extended to a bunch of other
    > countries
    > <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101018/01202411460/microsoft-massi...
    > software-to-nonprofits-in-countries-with-authoritarian-regimes.shtml>.
    > Of course, I have heard at least one comment that Microsoft gets to deduct
    > the full retail price of these licences off its taxable income. But that
    > doesn’t make sense: surely you only get to deduct money you actually spent?

    It does not. AFAIK Microsoft arranges its affairs so as much profits
    as possible appear in Ireland, which probably has a 'soft touch' with
    respect to this. 'Transfer' arrangements between national subsidiaries
    pose a big problem to tax collectors unless the multinational in
    question is excessively greedy. IRD's recent court victories where
    courts upheld a 'purposeful' interpretation ('The meaning of an
    enactment must be ascertained from its text and in the light of its
    purpose') as distinct from a 'black letter' interpretation will no
    doubt give IRD extra courage to go after shonky transfer
    arrangements.

    peterwn, Oct 19, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    On 19/10/10 12:28 PM, peterwn wrote:

    > It does not. AFAIK Microsoft arranges its affairs so as much profits
    > as possible appear in Ireland, which probably has a 'soft touch' with
    > respect to this.

    Ireland has lower company taxes than the rest of Europe, there are quite
    a few companies that do exactly the same thing, Apple is also one.

    Another Me, Oct 20, 2010