    I don't know why people think it is Microsoft job to write drivers for
    everything. It is not!! It is up to the Manufacturer!!

    Richard
    jackfrost64, Jul 30, 2005

  2. jackfrost64

    Default User Guest

    Default User, Jul 30, 2005

  3. "Default User" <> wrote in:

    > But Microsoft includes some basic ones though just for basic functionality.

    But they are not written by Microsoft AFAIK, they are provided by various
    manufacturers and included in releases of Windows.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 30, 2005
  4. jackfrost64

    John Barnes Guest

    As has been acknowledged here before, Microsoft has written some basic
    generic drivers. Not for specific products.

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005
  5. As has been noted here several times, the vast majority of the drivers that
    are included "in the box" of any release of Windows are written by the
    manufacturers.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 30, 2005
  6. Default User wrote:
    > But Microsoft includes some basic ones though just for basic functionality.

    Only if the device's manufacturer has provided those drivers to
    Microsoft for testing and inclusion.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jul 30, 2005
  7. John Barnes wrote:
    > As has been acknowledged here before, Microsoft has written some basic
    > generic drivers. Not for specific products.

    The only drivers that Microsoft has written are for those few devices
    that Microsoft manufactures. Period.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jul 30, 2005
  8. jackfrost64

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry Bruce, but a short trip thru device manager and you will find numerous
    drivers provided by Microsoft. Maybe you can find the DVD/CD ROM drives
    section and check it out. Maybe you can find the floppy disk controller or
    floppy disk drives. Or you could try your communication ports, System
    devices, USB - just keep checking and you will find a lot of generic

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005
  9. I heard it cost $250 to certify the driver by Microsoft, is this true?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 30, 2005
  10. jackfrost64

    Rick Guest

    And since Microsoft does not manufacture the hardware they market, they
    don't write drivers for the hardware they don't manufacture!

    Rick, Jul 30, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > I heard it cost $250 to certify the driver by Microsoft, is this true?

    The manufacturer submitting the driver does have to pay for the testing
    and certification, certainly, but I don't know what the precise amount
    is. $250 sounds awfully cheap, though. A proper testing would run a
    lot more, just in labor costs alone, I should think.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jul 31, 2005
  12. John Barnes wrote:
    > Sorry Bruce, but a short trip thru device manager and you will find numerous
    > drivers provided by Microsoft. Maybe you can find the DVD/CD ROM drives
    > section and check it out. Maybe you can find the floppy disk controller or
    > floppy disk drives. Or you could try your communication ports, System
    > devices, USB - just keep checking and you will find a lot of generic
    > drivers provided by Microsoft.

    Oh, my bad! I thought we the discussion was about drivers for modern,
    useful devices. Not the useless, generic legacy stuff that still bloats
    the OS needlessly. These are present only to provide some basic
    functionality to any common devices that happen to be
    backwards-compatible, but can't possibly provide the level of
    functionality most people need or expect.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jul 31, 2005
  13. I guess that the reason why they expect Microsoft to write drivers is because
    they sell products such as the keyboard and mouse that I am using. The
    Intellipoint mouse and optical keyboard are working with basic functions only.
    These are Microsoft products (cheap I may add) that SHOULD function when an
    operating system written by Microsoft comes out to the public as WIndows XP
    Pro 64 now has.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVjdG9y?=, Aug 5, 2005
  14. Hector <> wrote in:

    > I guess that the reason why they expect Microsoft to write drivers is
    > because they sell products such as the keyboard and mouse that I am
    > using. The Intellipoint mouse and optical keyboard are working with
    > basic functions only. These are Microsoft products (cheap I may add)
    > that SHOULD function when an operating system written by Microsoft comes
    > out to the public as WIndows XP Pro 64 now has.

    I would agree with you if Microsoft manufactured these products but I believe
    they purchase them and have them re branded, just as Sears buys Whirlpool
    products (and others) and has them re branded Kenmore. This puts Microsoft
    in the very embarrassing position of having to wait for the manufacturer(s)
    they purchase these devices from to write drivers just as you and I are
    waiting.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>