Microsoft does not care a hoot about small biz and home users

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    See:
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html

    "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."

    Translated:
    1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    throats.
    2. We do not care a hoot about small business / home users - they are
    almost a captive market for our over priced under performing software
    as long as we can keep the government / education / corporate market
    tied up.

    "But he said any small business with difficulties over Vista should
    contact the company. "

    Translated:
    1. If you come to us on bended knees, we might just slip you an XP CD
    under the counter. We would not want you guys to form associations
    and start ganging up on us.

    peterwn, Nov 5, 2007

  2. peterwn

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > See:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html
    >
    > "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    > version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    > even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."
    >
    > Translated:
    > 1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    > Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    > throats.
    > 2. We do not care a hoot about small business / home users - they are
    > almost a captive market for our over priced under performing software
    > as long as we can keep the government / education / corporate market
    > tied up.
    >
    > "But he said any small business with difficulties over Vista should
    > contact the company. "
    >
    > Translated:
    > 1. If you come to us on bended knees, we might just slip you an XP CD
    > under the counter. We would not want you guys to form associations
    > and start ganging up on us.

    XP is available from Dell and other brands... in America and till January
    31st 2008.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 5, 2007

  3. ____/ *sling on Monday 05 November 2007 11:13 : \____

    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >> See:
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html
    >>
    >> "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    >> version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    >> even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."
    >>
    >> Translated:
    >> 1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    >> Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    >> throats.
    >> 2. We do not care a hoot about small business / home users - they are
    >> almost a captive market for our over priced under performing software
    >> as long as we can keep the government / education / corporate market
    >> tied up.
    >>
    >> "But he said any small business with difficulties over Vista should
    >> contact the company. "
    >>
    >> Translated:
    >> 1. If you come to us on bended knees, we might just slip you an XP CD
    >> under the counter. We would not want you guys to form associations
    >> and start ganging up on us.

    > XP is available from Dell and other brands... in America and till January
    > 31st 2008.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I suspect Microsoft had the extended (by 5 months?) due to backlash. That
    happened about a month ago.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
    lies.
    Mem: 515500k total, 235220k used, 280280k free, 3972k buffers

    Roy Schestowitz, Nov 5, 2007
  4. "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > See:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html
    >
    > "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    > version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    > even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."
    >
    > Translated:
    > 1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    > Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    > throats.
    > 2. We do not care a hoot about small business / home users - they are
    > almost a captive market for our over priced under performing software
    > as long as we can keep the government / education / corporate market
    > tied up.
    >
    > "But he said any small business with difficulties over Vista should
    > contact the company. "
    >
    > Translated:
    > 1. If you come to us on bended knees, we might just slip you an XP CD
    > under the counter. We would not want you guys to form associations
    > and start ganging up on us.

    Gee - Windows XP is available for this laptop.
    http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr4000.htm

    And Windows XP is also available for this laptop.
    http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm2410.htm

    Wow - Amazing that an "unavailable OS" can be bought here too.
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostrodt_400mt?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

    My, my. And yet another computer where XP is available as an option.
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

    Translated - Peterwn is a idiot ^h^h LIAR ^h^h typical "COLA advocate" who
    like most other linux idiots ^h^h^h LIARS ^h^h^h "advocates" has
    absolutely zero idea what he's talking about.

    Jeremy Wembley, Nov 5, 2007
  5. peterwn

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 00:13:07 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >> See:
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html
    >>
    >> "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    >> version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    >> even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."
    >>
    >> Translated:
    >> 1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    >> Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    >> throats.
    >> 2. We do not care a hoot about small business / home users - they are
    >> almost a captive market for our over priced under performing software
    >> as long as we can keep the government / education / corporate market
    >> tied up.
    >>
    >> "But he said any small business with difficulties over Vista should
    >> contact the company. "
    >>
    >> Translated:
    >> 1. If you come to us on bended knees, we might just slip you an XP CD
    >> under the counter. We would not want you guys to form associations
    >> and start ganging up on us.

    >XP is available from Dell and other brands... in America and till January
    >31st 2008.

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2007/sep07/09-27xpsalescycle.mspx

    June 30, 2008.

    In an effort to respond to feedback the company is hearing from its
    customers and partners, Microsoft is extending availability of Windows
    XP editions among original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and retail
    channels for an additional five months to June 30, 2008.

    Nighthawk, Nov 5, 2007
  6. peterwn

    chrisv Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:

    >http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2007/sep07/09-27xpsalescycle.mspx
    >
    >June 30, 2008.
    >
    >In an effort to respond to feedback the company is hearing from its
    >customers and partners, Microsoft is extending availability of Windows
    >XP editions among original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and retail
    >channels for an additional five months to June 30, 2008.

    You gotta like the M$ spin:

    Nash: "While we’ve been pleased with the positive response we’ve seen
    and heard from customers using Windows Vista, there are some customers
    who need a little more time to make the switch to Windows Vista."

    Translation:

    "We tried to bully our customers into buying what is, for many of
    them, a completely inappropriate product, requiring far greater
    hardware resources, with little or no benefit. Additionally,
    customers complained that they had no desire to change to a new and
    unproven version of our bloatware, at least until the first major
    "service pack" has been released. So, even though a few misguided
    souls actually like Vista and gave positive feedback, the outpouring
    of dissatisfaction over it's drawbacks, and over our customer-hostile
    policies, forced us to backpedal and continue to offer the older
    product."

    chrisv, Nov 5, 2007
  7. peterwn

    Rex Ballard Guest

    On Nov 5, 4:16 am, peterwn <> wrote:
    > See:http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html

    The person being quoted in the first paragraph was:
    Microsoft Windows client marketing manager David Rayner told the Star-
    Times the company was aware of concerns.

    > "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    > version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    > even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."

    This is an official confirmation of what we have suspected in this
    group all along. OEMs who are selling PCs with XP are actually
    purchasing a Vista Business license which then allows them to
    downgrade to XP. So Microsoft IS counting XP machines as Vista
    Business Edition licenses.

    > Translated:
    > 1. We are scared stiff that large corporates will go the Linux /
    > Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    > throats.

    Which appears to have backfired. Microsoft is able to make lots of
    statements in the press about the "Success" of Vista, and even cites
    the surprisingly high proportion of Vista Business Edition sales.

    It's noteworthy that OEMs have dropped the price of the upgrade to
    Vista Business/XP to $20, which is quite likely their cost. It's
    possible that Microsoft is counting two licenses, the Vista Home Basic
    or Home Premium sold bulk at minimum commitment to the OEMS, and then
    counting the machines sold with Vista Business as a SECOND VISTA
    license, even though the machine was SHIPPED as Windows XP. This
    could mean that OEMS are actually selling FEWER actual machines this
    year than they did the first year of XP, and given that most of
    Microsoft's XP license counts were the result of "Force-feed" licenses
    to Volume License customers, OEMs, and retailers, even that didn't
    generate as many actual PC sales as the OEMS had hoped.

    It may even be that any "surge" in PC sales was a scramble to get
    machines with XP while they were still available. Normally, Microsoft
    allows OEMs a few MONTHS of grace period during which they can sell
    the previous version as an option. Demand for XP machines may have
    been so strong that Microsoft came up with the "Buy Vista Business and
    you can downgrade to XP" option to prevent XP numbers from becoming
    public knowledge.

    IF THIS IS TRUE, then Microsoft may be guilty of fraud on a massive
    scale (again).

    There may be Sarbanes-Oxley violations.

    Top executives who left Microsoft prior to the release of the latest
    10Q may have
    known this and were attempting to avoid the risk of being sent to
    jail.

    They may have also decide to get off the sinking ship before they got
    pulled in.

    > 2. We do not care a hoot about small business / home users - they are
    > almost a captive market for our over priced under performing software
    > as long as we can keep the government / education / corporate market
    > tied up.

    More accurately, "we don't care a hoot about retailers". Anyone who
    wants Windows XP on their laptop can order it from Dell, HP, Lenovo,
    Gateway, Acer, Toshiba, Sony or the rest of the "top 10" vendors via
    the web and simply request XP. Behind the scenes, what they are
    actually doing is purchasing a Vista Business license and the OEM is
    providing the downgrade to XP at no additional cost. The OEM simply
    ships a hard drive that has been preconfigured with XP instead of one
    that is pre-configured with Vista Business.

    At this point, the price, when ordered via phone or web, is only about
    $20 more. This is about 1/2 the cost of the full license at OEM
    quantity prices.

    The problem is that the machines sent to RETAILERS is only configured
    with Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium. Most stores won't even
    take the machines with Vista Home Basic anymore because those buying
    it have been having their computers disabled by WGA. It seems that if
    you install iTunes, Rhapsody, or other media players on Home BASIC,
    it's a violation of the license. If you attempt to run Home BASIC as
    a VM client, your License to ANY use of Home BASIC is revoked.
    Retailers had so many returns of Home Basic, that they have just gone
    with Home Premium.

    The problem is that if you want to upgrade to Vista Business so you
    can downgrade to XP again, you have to purchase both upgrades in
    cardboard boxes and do it yourself. Again, most people just end up
    returning the machine and ordering one via the Web.

    I wonder, is Microsoft is counting these returns in their license
    counts?

    > "But he said any small business with difficulties over Vista should
    > contact the company. "

    If you have a PC with an extended warranty, return it and have it
    upgraded. If you can't return it, call Microsoft and they will charge
    you for BOTH the upgrade AND the downgrade. Remember, if you
    purchased your Vista license as part of an OEM PC, then you can't call
    Microsoft directly, you have to call the manufacturer. In most cases,
    Manufacturers will offer to "swap out" your hard drive for one that's
    pre-loaded with XP. You have to purchase the upgrade to Vista
    Business and you have to pay shipping and handling, and you won't be
    getting installation media (though some OEMs offer installation media
    for a nominal charge), but you can usually get the upgrade to XP for
    less than $100, compared to almost $159 in the stores.

    Appearantly there were a number of people who tried to upgrade to
    Vista and then hated it so much they wanted to switch back to XP.
    Several Magazines included XP Recovery CDs because there was such
    demand. I wonder if Microsoft counted those licenses as Vista?

    > Translated:
    > 1. If you come to us on bended knees, we might just slip you an XP CD
    > under the counter. We would not want you guys to form associations
    > and start ganging up on us.

    I think Microsoft is acutely aware of the problem. Steve and Bill are
    putting up a good front, but a number of executives have left the
    company after years of service. At least one gave up a substantial
    bonus because he was in such a hurry to get out.

    I think the story was in InfoWorld or ComputerWorld. Unfortunately,
    both publications purge their web content after only a few days.

    Rex Ballard, Nov 5, 2007
  8. peterwn

    Rex Ballard Guest

    On Nov 5, 9:56 am, chrisv <> wrote:
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2007/sep07/09-27xpsalescy...

    > >June 30, 2008.

    > >In an effort to respond to feedback the company is hearing from its
    > >customers and partners, Microsoft is extending availability of Windows
    > >XP editions among original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and retail
    > >channels for an additional five months to June 30, 2008.

    > You gotta like the M$ spin:
    >
    > Nash: "While we've been pleased with the positive response we've seen
    > and heard from customers using Windows Vista, there are some customers
    > who need a little more time to make the switch to Windows Vista."
    >
    > Translation:
    >
    > "We tried to bully our customers into buying what is, for many of
    > them, a completely inappropriate product, requiring far greater
    > hardware resources, with little or no benefit. Additionally,
    > customers complained that they had no desire to change to a new and
    > unproven version of our bloatware, at least until the first major
    > "service pack" has been released. So, even though a few misguided
    > souls actually like Vista and gave positive feedback, the outpouring
    > of dissatisfaction over it's drawbacks, and over our customer-hostile
    > policies, forced us to backpedal and continue to offer the older
    > product."

    I also like the way they invite small businesses who are having
    problems to contact the company directly. Perhaps Microsoft wants
    these companies to sign nondisclosure agreements prior to the
    discussion, and then promise not to tell anyone about the problems
    they have been having with the transition to Vista?

    I'm beginning to wonder how long before the whole mess explodes in
    their faces. Microsoft can lie to the press. Microsoft can lie to
    the public. They can even make misleading statements on their SEC
    filings, but Microsoft's REAL customers - the OEMS and large
    corporations, aren't so easily fooled. You can put all the sugar on
    the doggie droppings you want, even pile it high with sweet frosting,
    but if you are the one who has to actually EAT that doggie poo, you
    KNOW it's not chocolate cake you are eating.

    Microsoft has tried to make their REAL customers eat Vista, which has
    turned out to be sugar coated doggie poo. And the OEMs are the ones
    watching Microsoft report 40% inclease in revenue and profits, while
    they are looking at rapidly diminishing revenue, minimal profits or
    even deep losses and subsidies of the PC business, and beginning to
    look at Microsoft in a completely different way.

    Remember, Microsoft was "indespensible" only when they could assure
    the creation of a huge market that produced huge profits. At this
    point, Microsoft has delivered a huge market that is generating huge
    LOSSES. Fortunately, companies like HP and Dell have other sources of
    revenue, and they can offset the losses in the PC business with
    profits from printers, HDTVs, servers, consulting, and software
    profits. Gateway isn't so lucky. They have been bleeding red ink for
    years. Their stock price dropped so low that they were on the verge
    of being delisted. Acer snapped up the company at a fraction of it's
    price when XP was released, and will have to make radical changes to
    the product and marketing (here's where Linux and Microsoft collide),
    in order to make that brand profitable again.

    It should be noted that ACER has been focusing it's efforts on making
    "Linux Ready" PCs, and has done very well in that market. Machines
    were sold with XP, but could be converted to SUSE or Ubuntu Linux in
    less than an hour and EVERYTHING worked. To Acer, Microsoft Windows
    licenses are more of a nuicance than an indespensible feature, and
    Vista has become a liablity.

    IBM just scuttled their PC business, selling off nearly all of it's
    desktop and laptop lines to Lenovo. IBM still sells the
    Intellistation, which are offered with the choice of Linux or Windows
    XP (NOT Vista). The Intellistation Power series offers the choice of
    Linux and/or AIX.

    They aren't cheap, but they are powerful and quite competitive with
    the Apple high end systems.

    Rex Ballard, Nov 5, 2007
  9. peterwn

    DFS Guest

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    > It should be noted that ACER has been focusing it's efforts on making
    > "Linux Ready" PCs, and has done very well in that market. Machines
    > were sold with XP, but could be converted to SUSE or Ubuntu Linux in
    > less than an hour and EVERYTHING worked. To Acer, Microsoft Windows
    > licenses are more of a nuicance than an indespensible feature, and
    > Vista has become a liablity.

    Acer "recommends Windows Vista" all over the world

    http://global.acer.com/

    including Turkey

    http://www.acer.com.tr/public/page3...txParam=tr&ctx3=-1&ctx4=Turkey&crc=2743844784

    Acer, Is Amaçli Bilgi Islem için Windows Vista® Business ürününü önerir
    Acer, Kisisel Bilgi Islem için Windows Vista® Home Premium ürününü önerir

    > IBM just scuttled their PC business, selling off nearly all of it's
    > desktop and laptop lines to Lenovo.

    Lenovo? Oh, they also recommend Windows Vista (Business and Home Premium).

    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...howPromo?LandingPage=/All/US/Portals/Products

    DFS, Nov 5, 2007
  10. peterwn

    peter Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > See:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html
    > "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    > version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    > even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."
    >
    > Translated:
    > 1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    > Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    > throats.

    Maybe this (at least partly) explains recent sales trend with Macs?
    http://www.itpro.co.uk/wireless/news/132230/massive-jump-in-mac-sales-boosts-apple-profits.html

    "Apple has once again surprised analysts and the markets by turning in
    another massive jump in quarterly earnings and sales, again fuelled by
    growth in its computer business rather than just sales of its iPod digital
    media device. The company shipped 2.164 million Macintosh computers, 34
    per cent up on the same quarter last year. The biggest seller was again its
    MacBook and MacBook Pro laptop lines, selling a total of 1.347 million
    units compared with 817,000 desktop computers."

    Peter

    peter, Nov 5, 2007
  11. peterwn

    Guest

    On Nov 5, 1:16 am, peterwn <> wrote:
    > See:http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html
    >
    > "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    > version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    > even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."
    >
    > Translated:
    > 1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    > Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    > throats.
    > 2. We do not care a hoot about small business / home users - they are
    > almost a captive market for our over priced under performing software
    > as long as we can keep the government / education / corporate market
    > tied up.
    >
    > "But he said any small business with difficulties over Vista should
    > contact the company. "
    >
    > Translated:
    > 1. If you come to us on bended knees, we might just slip you an XP CD
    > under the counter. We would not want you guys to form associations
    > and start ganging up on us.

    Of course withdrawal of support for XP is a way of forcing users to
    "upgrade" to Vista. Certainly when Microsoft postponed the day of
    reckoning they did so only because it seemed the lesser of two evils
    (from their standpoint), that is, the user dissatisfaction with Vista
    was too large and Vista itself in too incomplete a form. This is not
    new with MS in fact lots of companies have done similar things in the
    past. But one way Linux has already hurt Microsoft is that it has
    delayed their dropping of support for older systems, for example,
    Windows 98, out of fear that people would switch. That fear is still
    present, but now there's a new element, the threat from the Mac, whose
    market share is growing. Meanwhile, the market share of Windows, all
    Windows systems combined, including Vista, that is, has shrunk
    slightly. Most of my friends who are XP users are planning to buy a
    Mac when they are forced to upgrade. When they do, I will convert
    their old PC's to Ubuntu. Have already tested it out on one of my
    friend's XP systems (with a Live CD), and he was impressed.

    , Nov 5, 2007
  12. peterwn

    Rick Guest

    DFS wrote:
    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >
    >> It should be noted that ACER has been focusing it's efforts on making
    >> "Linux Ready" PCs, and has done very well in that market. Machines
    >> were sold with XP, but could be converted to SUSE or Ubuntu Linux in
    >> less than an hour and EVERYTHING worked. To Acer, Microsoft Windows
    >> licenses are more of a nuicance than an indespensible feature, and
    >> Vista has become a liablity.

    > Acer "recommends Windows Vista" all over the world

    Ad revenue.

    --
    Rick

    Rick, Nov 5, 2007
  13. peterwn

    thingy Guest

    Jeremy Wembley wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >> See:
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html
    >>
    >> "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    >> version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    >> even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."
    >>
    >> Translated:
    >> 1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    >> Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    >> throats.
    >> 2. We do not care a hoot about small business / home users - they are
    >> almost a captive market for our over priced under performing software
    >> as long as we can keep the government / education / corporate market
    >> tied up.
    >>
    >> "But he said any small business with difficulties over Vista should
    >> contact the company. "
    >>
    >> Translated:
    >> 1. If you come to us on bended knees, we might just slip you an XP CD
    >> under the counter. We would not want you guys to form associations
    >> and start ganging up on us.
    >>

    > Gee - Windows XP is available for this laptop.
    > http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr4000.htm
    >
    > And Windows XP is also available for this laptop.
    > http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm2410.htm
    >
    > Wow - Amazing that an "unavailable OS" can be bought here too.
    > http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostrodt_400mt?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04
    >
    > My, my. And yet another computer where XP is available as an option.
    > http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04
    >

    > Translated - Peterwn is a idiot ^h^h LIAR ^h^h typical "COLA advocate" who
    > like most other linux idiots ^h^h^h LIARS ^h^h^h "advocates" has
    > absolutely zero idea what he's talking about.

    Shows how out of touch with reality you are, or more like central
    command via your BORG unit...if you cannot think dont bother posting.

    The quotes are from MS and are to do with downgrading your vista after
    purchasing it and not for still buying a machine with XP....generally
    you were not allowed to.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 5, 2007
  14. peterwn

    thingy Guest

    peter wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    >> See:
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261312a13.html
    >> "The XP downgrade option was available only to buyers of the business
    >> version of Vista, said Rayner, because users of the home editions,
    >> even if they were small businesses, would not be badly affected."
    >>
    >> Translated:
    >> 1. We are scared stiff that larrge corporates will go the Linux /
    >> Open Office / ODF way if we continue to try and ram Vista down their
    >> throats.

    > Maybe this (at least partly) explains recent sales trend with Macs?
    > http://www.itpro.co.uk/wireless/news/132230/massive-jump-in-mac-sales-boosts-apple-profits.html
    >
    > "Apple has once again surprised analysts and the markets by turning in
    > another massive jump in quarterly earnings and sales, again fuelled by
    > growth in its computer business rather than just sales of its iPod digital
    > media device. The company shipped 2.164 million Macintosh computers, 34
    > per cent up on the same quarter last year. The biggest seller was again its
    > MacBook and MacBook Pro laptop lines, selling a total of 1.347 million
    > units compared with 817,000 desktop computers."
    >

    > Peter

    The ipod seems to have done Apple a huge good.....made it lots of
    profit, put it out there in front as a gadget to have taking the apple
    brand with it and allowing a large investment into its Macs....

    MS also seems to have done Apple a huge good, releasing Vista, an OSX
    clone that does not work, so users get to see what they want so go to
    Apple to get it....then of course they released yet another an operating
    systemn that cannot survive in a trojan-virus laden environment.....

    It is also noticeable that the trend is for mac laptops which is where
    many PC sales are going these days....

    $4600 for a 17inch Mac pro.....ouch....but nice.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 5, 2007
  15. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Nov 6, 5:11 am, "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
    > Rex Ballard wrote:

    > Acer "recommends Windows Vista" all over the world
    >

    > including Turkey
    >

    > Lenovo? Oh, they also recommend Windows Vista (Business and Home Premium).

    Oh gaud! Do you not read other peoples postings.

    It is common knowledge that OEM's get very significant kickbacks from
    Micro$oft for saying something like "Joe Bloggs Computers recommends
    Vista".

    There are two aspects to this people ought to realize:
    1. The payments are not contracturally enforceable (in terms of M$'s
    OEM agreements), so M$ can turn off the $$$ spigot at any time if the
    OEM gets up MS's nose.

    2. For multinational OEM's, I have a strong suspicion that these
    payments effectively shift taxable profits to a low tax country like
    the Irish Republic, so MS and the OEM effectively bilk the tax offices
    of countries like New Zealand, Australia, UK etc.

    peterwn, Nov 5, 2007
  16. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Nov 6, 1:45 am, "Jeremy Wembley" <> wrote:

    > Translated - Peterwn is a idiot ^h^h LIAR ^h^h typical "COLA advocate" who
    > like most other linux idiots ^h^h^h LIARS ^h^h^h "advocates" has
    > absolutely zero idea what he's talking about.

    Using a nym created two days ago for the sole purpose of Linux
    bashing. Hi Flatfish+++.

    peterwn, Nov 5, 2007
  17. peterwn

    thingy Guest

    DFS wrote:
    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >
    >> It should be noted that ACER has been focusing it's efforts on making
    >> "Linux Ready" PCs, and has done very well in that market. Machines
    >> were sold with XP, but could be converted to SUSE or Ubuntu Linux in
    >> less than an hour and EVERYTHING worked. To Acer, Microsoft Windows
    >> licenses are more of a nuicance than an indespensible feature, and
    >> Vista has become a liablity.

    > Acer "recommends Windows Vista" all over the world
    >

    > http://global.acer.com/
    >

    > including Turkey
    >
    > http://www.acer.com.tr/public/page3...txParam=tr&ctx3=-1&ctx4=Turkey&crc=2743844784
    >
    > Acer, Is Amaçli Bilgi Islem için Windows Vista® Business ürününü önerir
    > Acer, Kisisel Bilgi Islem için Windows Vista® Home Premium ürününü önerir
    >

    >> IBM just scuttled their PC business, selling off nearly all of it's
    >> desktop and laptop lines to Lenovo.

    > Lenovo? Oh, they also recommend Windows Vista (Business and Home Premium).
    >
    > http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...howPromo?LandingPage=/All/US/Portals/Products

    So does Dell....

    They also still sell XP boxes if customers want it....

    Almost certainly an advertising agreement with MS to promote both ways....

    At the end of the day no one in their right mind trusts what a vendor
    says....if you do you deserve what you get.....which will probably be
    crap....(and no I'm not MS bashing right
    now....EMC/Sun/Oracle/Apple/Vmware/IBM/"insert large company name here"
    etc are just as bad). If you dont do the graft yourself upfront you
    certainly will do later on.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 5, 2007
  18. peterwn

    chrisv Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    >> Lenovo? Oh, they also recommend Windows

    >Oh gaud! Do you not read other peoples postings.
    >
    >It is common knowledge that OEM's get very significant kickbacks from
    >Micro$oft for saying something like "Joe Bloggs Computers recommends
    >Vista".

    Of course he does. It doesn't matter. He'll repeat the same bullshit
    and lies, again and again. For years, he's been doing this.

    My advice is to KF the worthless POS and be done with it.

    chrisv, Nov 5, 2007
  19. In message <>,
    wrote:

    > ... but now there's a new element, the threat from the Mac, whose
    > market share is growing.

    It's only been growing in the US. Worldwide their market share is still
    about 3% at most.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2007
  20. peterwn

    [H]omer Guest

    Verily I say unto thee, that peterwn spake thusly:
    > On Nov 6, 5:11 am, "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:

    >> Acer "recommends Windows Vista" all over the world
    >>

    >> including Turkey
    >>

    >> Lenovo? Oh, they also recommend Windows Vista (Business and Home
    >> Premium).
    >>

    > Oh gaud! Do you not read other peoples postings.

    He does, but that doesn't matter. All that matters to him is the
    monotonous repetition of propaganda, regardless of its veracity.

    > It is common knowledge that OEM's get very significant kickbacks from
    > Micro$oft for saying something like "Joe Bloggs Computers recommends
    > Vista".

    I think they call it "incentives". It can be no coincidence that every
    retailer that stocks Windows systems all use the same tagline, without
    variation. It's a boilerplate; probably some requirement for "Gold
    Partner" status, and yes ... kickbacks (i.e. discounts).

    If Shuttleworth had the same slush funds that Microsoft has, Dell would
    probably plaster "Dell recommends Ubuntu" all over their site instead.

    It's all about the money.

    What one "recommends" depends on how much one is /paid/ to "recommend",
    apparently.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
    | make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
    | - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
    `----

    05:25:14 up 89 days, 5:20, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.13, 0.21

    [H]omer, Nov 6, 2007