    Until then does anyone know of an application that will let you view
    these things? (aside from the one that is in Russian).
    , Aug 17, 2006

  2. Allistar Guest

    wrote:

    > Files in this format have cropped up once or twice attached to emails
    > sent to our office.
    >
    > As far as I can tell Microsoft have 'reinvented' the PDF format and
    > called it MDI.
    >
    > In the interests of 'the community' you get a "free" MDI writer/viewer
    > when you install office 2003.
    >
    > In the interests of 'the shareholders' MS do not appear to have
    > released a MDI viewer so people who do not wish to purchase Office 2003
    > can't view these files.
    >
    > Is it just me or is this really stupid? I have googled about to try to
    > find a third party MDI viewer but have not had much luck (I did get a
    > ton of hits on people complaining about the fact that the MDI writer
    > becomes the default printer).
    >
    > The only good news is that apparently the new version of office will
    > support printing to PDF so hopefully this weird MDI format will be
    > consigned to the grave.
    >
    > Until then does anyone know of an application that will let you view
    > these things? (aside from the one that is in Russian).

    I can't help, except that say that if it were me I'd ask the sender to send
    it in a open format like pdf or odt.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Steven H Guest

    Hello ,

    > As far as I can tell Microsoft have 'reinvented' the PDF format and
    > called it MDI.

    as far as i can tell its a format for scanned documents, documents scanned
    thru Microsoft Office Document Imaging.

    > (I did get a ton of hits on people complaining about the fact
    > that the MDI writer becomes the default printer).

    it is the default printer on a machine with no printer installed.

    all they need to do is right click on the printer they want as default and
    select 'set as default' - hell when you install a printer there is usually
    an option to make said printer the default one.

    humph ... users ....

    > The only good news is that apparently the new version of office will
    > support printing to PDF

    well because adobe kicked up a hissy fit, you will need to download something
    form microsoft to enable office 'Print to PDF' feature.

    so while it 'does support PDF' it doesnt, at least not out of the box.

    i am surprised adobe havent started an anti-trust suit over words abilaty
    to read/write pdf (ahem.. an open standard) - seems to be the fad these days.

    > so hopefully this weird MDI format will be
    > consigned to the grave.

    true, if i am correct and its mainly used for scanned images - all i can
    say is 'save to jpg dumb fu*ks'

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Aug 17, 2006
  4. MaHogany Guest

    On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:31:33 -0700, elephanto05 wrote:

    > Is it just me or is this really stupid?

    It's one of the reasons why Adobe is suing the pants off M$.

    M$ is now taking aim at Adobe.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Aug 17, 2006
  5. Earl Grey Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:31:33 -0700, elephanto05 wrote:
    >
    >> Is it just me or is this really stupid?

    > It's one of the reasons why Adobe is suing the pants off M$.
    >
    > M$ is now taking aim at Adobe.
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    Ah well, its not the first time.
    Truetype didn't kill postscript and some other MS format won't kill PDF.
    Its a standard.
    Earl Grey, Aug 17, 2006
  6. Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in news:1155774693.337569.91310
    @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

    > Files in this format have cropped up once or twice attached to emails
    > sent to our office.
    >
    > As far as I can tell Microsoft have 'reinvented' the PDF format and
    > called it MDI.

    yes IIRC

    > In the interests of 'the community' you get a "free" MDI writer/viewer
    > when you install office 2003.
    >
    > In the interests of 'the shareholders' MS do not appear to have
    > released a MDI viewer so people who do not wish to purchase Office 2003
    > can't view these files.
    >
    > Is it just me or is this really stupid?

    Stupid IMHO

    I have googled about to try to
    > find a third party MDI viewer but have not had much luck (I did get a
    > ton of hits on people complaining about the fact that the MDI writer
    > becomes the default printer).
    >
    > The only good news is that apparently the new version of office will
    > support printing to PDF so hopefully this weird MDI format will be
    > consigned to the grave.

    could be

    > Until then does anyone know of an application that will let you view
    > these things? (aside from the one that is in Russian).

    Educate the sender that it is not a "standard"

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 17, 2006
  7. jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-17, <> wrote:

    > Files in this format have cropped up once or twice attached to emails
    > sent to our office.
    >
    > As far as I can tell Microsoft have 'reinvented' the PDF format and
    > called it MDI.
    >
    > In the interests of 'the community' you get a "free" MDI writer/viewer
    > when you install office 2003.

    maybe it't intended as a replacement for wmf (which was mostly security hole)

    > Until then does anyone know of an application that will let you view
    > these things? (aside from the one that is in Russian).

    send them back nd ask for them to use a sensible format.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Aug 18, 2006
  8. In message <>,
    wrote:

    > As far as I can tell Microsoft have 'reinvented' the PDF format and
    > called it MDI.

    That's not what MDI means
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon/html/vbconmdiapplications.asp>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 19, 2006
  9. Guest

    Sadly despite having another go at searching I still have not found a
    reader in English.

    I did go back to the sender and ask that they send the files again,
    which they have done. But things like why not to use one file format
    over another is beyond most common users and it took a bit of
    explaining as to what was wrong with the MDI file and why they could
    open it but I could not.

    While MS might have intended the MDI format to be a new image format
    (an update on TIFF) I guess having the printer there creating these
    little self contained documents means people will use it as a
    'standard' exchange format. Its the old "to a hammer everything looks
    like a nail".

    In fact a MS MVP guys blog has him saying that it is "kind of like a
    PDF" (http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog/archive/2004/07/26/419.aspx).
    Looking at his blog and comments he is a bit of an MS nutrider so his
    oppinion might not be so relevent (like the bit where HE says MS should
    release a free viewer then jumps on someone who bitches about MS not
    releaseing a free viewer becasue there is a perfectly good Russian
    viewer).

    And Mr D'Oliveiro, that _is_ what MDI means:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP062193601033.aspx
    , Aug 20, 2006
  10. In message <>,
    wrote:

    > And Mr D'Oliveiro, that _is_ what MDI means:
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP062193601033.aspx

    But this is the official word from Microsoft, which I think you'll find
    predates the above:
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon/html/vbconmdiapplications.asp>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 21, 2006