    Excel users who create a file that will be used by others can protect
    hidden information from OpenOffice users. ""

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:10:11 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    exclaimed:

    >http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2154626/microsoft-dismisses-openoffice
    >
    >"" John McCreesh, marketing project co-lead for OpenOffice.org, said that
    >the removal of protection passwords from Excel files was a feature of
    >Calc, not a bug. He argued that OpenOffice users are warned that saving
    >in the Excel format will remove the password. But he could not say how
    >Excel users who create a file that will be used by others can protect
    >hidden information from OpenOffice users. ""

    Is that a new Tui's ad?

    "It's a feature, not a bug!!" Yeah, right...

    Fred Dagg, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2154626/microsoft-dismisses-openoffice

    > I really don't like the sound of this:
    >
    > "He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
    > beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
    > higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs
    > from being taken of sensitive documents."

    There is no one to prevent screengrabs completely. Options are:

    - run in virtualisation software, like VMWare. Screengrab that.
    - run in remote access software, like Terminal Services, Citrix, VNC. Screen
    grab that.
    - take a photo of the screen with a camera.
    - open the document in a different viewer, assuming there will be any that
    could handle the new format. That different viewer could be on a different
    OS with out the same "DRM" nonsense.

    This is as silling as trying to prevent people from copying music files.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Allistar wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2154626/microsoft-dismisses-openoffice
    >> I really don't like the sound of this:
    >>
    >> "He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
    >> beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
    >> higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs
    >> from being taken of sensitive documents."

    > There is no one to prevent screengrabs completely. Options are:

    They might manage it with that hardware protected digital display path
    that is used for hidef movies. But it would make the document be
    unreadable in all of the cases that you mention (And require a display
    that supports it), so it wouldn't be a very nice feature!

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    --
    http://www.sherlocksoftware.org

    Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 26, 2006
  6. In article <>, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:10:11 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2154626/microsoft-dismisse

    >s-openoffice
    >>
    >>"" John McCreesh, marketing project co-lead for OpenOffice.org, said that
    >>the removal of protection passwords from Excel files was a feature of
    >>Calc, not a bug. He argued that OpenOffice users are warned that saving
    >>in the Excel format will remove the password. But he could not say how
    >>Excel users who create a file that will be used by others can protect
    >>hidden information from OpenOffice users. ""

    >Is that a new Tui's ad?
    >
    >"It's a feature, not a bug!!" Yeah, right...

    Doesn't really matter. There are plenty of password removers out there that
    work without OO. Anyone that thinks and XL sheet is secure is deluding
    themselves :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 26, 2006
  7. On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:21:24 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2154626/microsoft-dismisses-openoffice
    >>

    > I really don't like the sound of this:
    >
    > "He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
    > beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
    > higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs from
    > being taken of sensitive documents."

    I offer no comment other than, people will get Vi$ta and M$ Office 2007,
    and they will bitch and moan about it, but they will STILL not change to
    something else!

    AND, on top of that, they will bitch about people suggesting that they
    should change to something else.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 26, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:24:02 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:21:24 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>> http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2154626/microsoft-dismisses-openoffice
    >>>

    >> I really don't like the sound of this:
    >>
    >> "He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
    >> beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
    >> higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs from
    >> being taken of sensitive documents."

    >I offer no comment other than, people will get Vi$ta and M$ Office 2007,
    >and they will bitch and moan about it, but they will STILL not change to
    >something else!
    >
    >AND, on top of that, they will bitch about people suggesting that they
    >should change to something else.

    AND, you bitch about it and you won't use it!

    Invisible, Apr 27, 2006
  9. On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:04:48 +1200, Invisible wrote:

    > AND, you bitch about it and you won't use it!

    Yup. :eek:)

    I won't use it at home, but need to use it at work.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 27, 2006