Microsoft cuts ANOTHER feature: full HD playback in 32bit Vista goes

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutlley, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Aug 25, 2006

  2. Mutlley

    Mike Dee Guest

    Mike Dee, Aug 25, 2006

  3. Nathan Mercer, Aug 25, 2006
  4. In message <>, Nathan

    http://www.apcstart.com/site/dwarne...other-feature-full-hd-playback-in-32bit-vista

    >> Will the Vista Lemmings now rush out and buy 64bit Mobos??

    > This news is absolutely incorrect

    Not absolutely incorrect.

    > Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit
    >
    > http://news.com.com/2061-10794_3-6109427.html

    Quote:

    The decision of whether to offer that support, the representative said,
    won't be made by Microsoft but rather by the third-party software makers
    that create DVD playback software...

    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/windows-vista-32bit-can-play-hd-dvd-bluray-movies-196535.php

    Quote:

    So that probably [means] no next-gen playback for Vista out of the box.

    > http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/8336.html

    Quote:

    Riley said it is media companies which had forced Microsoft not to
    enable playback on 32-bit Windows as "they don't want any of their high
    definition content to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned
    malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content protection, so
    we had to do this."

    So Microsoft is not quite guaranteeing that 32-bit versions of
    Visaster /will/ be able to play high-definition content. Instead, it's
    punting and leaving the decision up to "third parties" to sort out. Not
    exactly a ringing endorsement, is it...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 25, 2006
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > http://www.apcstart.com/site/dwarne...other-feature-full-hd-playback-in-32bit-vista
    > >>
    > >> Will the Vista Lemmings now rush out and buy 64bit Mobos??

    > > This news is absolutely incorrect

    > Not absolutely incorrect.

    Hi Pedantic

    The premise of the article was that "no 32-bit versions of Windows
    Vista will be able to play back "next generation high definition
    protected content"

    This is incorrect and a miscommunication

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 25, 2006
  6. T'was the Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:08:42 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >So Microsoft is not quite guaranteeing that 32-bit versions of
    >Visaster /will/ be able to play high-definition content. Instead, it's
    >punting and leaving the decision up to "third parties" to sort out. Not
    >exactly a ringing endorsement, is it...

    Third parties creating applications? Get out of town!

    I mean, after all, GNU/Linux based distributions are just one big
    piece of monolithic code created by the one company/contributor.

    </my operating system is bigger than yours argument>
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Aug 25, 2006
  7. In message <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    http://www.apcstart.com/site/dwarne...other-feature-full-hd-playback-in-32bit-vista

    >> > This news is absolutely incorrect

    >> Not absolutely incorrect.

    > Hi Pedantic
    >
    > The premise of the article was that "no 32-bit versions of Windows
    > Vista will be able to play back "next generation high definition
    > protected content"
    >
    > This is incorrect and a miscommunication
    >
    > Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit

    The fact remains that Microsoft will be providing high-def playback out of
    the box on 64-bit Vista, but not 32-bit. And people using 32-bit Vista may
    find their access to high-def content blocked anyway. From
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/25/hollywood_demands_64-bit_pcs/>:

    Riley's words - and follow-up comment from Microsoft spin teams -
    suggest that while WMP 11 won't play HD media in 32-bit Vista,
    third-party apps may well do. The question is, will the content
    providers allow the likes of Cyberlink to support the new disc formats?

    Possibly not. According to Riley, the decision to drop 32-bit HD DVD and
    BD playback from WMP 11 was made because "the media companies asked us
    to do this".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 25, 2006
  8. Mutlley

    Philip Guest

    Re: Microsoft cuts ANOTHER feature: full HD playback in 32bit Vistagoes

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> http://www.apcstart.com/site/dwarne...other-feature-full-hd-playback-in-32bit-vista
    >>> This news is absolutely incorrect

    >> Not absolutely incorrect.

    > Hi Pedantic
    >
    > The premise of the article was that "no 32-bit versions of Windows
    > Vista will be able to play back "next generation high definition
    > protected content"
    >
    > This is incorrect and a miscommunication
    >
    > Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit
    >

    >>> Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit
    >>>
    >>> http://news.com.com/2061-10794_3-6109427.html

    >> Quote:
    >>
    >> The decision of whether to offer that support, the representative said,
    >> won't be made by Microsoft but rather by the third-party software makers
    >> that create DVD playback software...
    >>
    >> http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/windows-vista-32bit-can-play-hd-dvd-bluray-movies-196535.php
    >> '
    >> Quote:
    >>
    >> So that probably [means] no next-gen playback for Vista out of the box.
    >>
    >>> http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/8336.html

    >> Quote:
    >>
    >> Riley said it is media companies which had forced Microsoft not to
    >> enable playback on 32-bit Windows as "they don't want any of their high
    >> definition content to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned
    >> malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content protection, so
    >> we had to do this."
    >>
    >> So Microsoft is not quite guaranteeing that 32-bit versions of
    >> Visaster /will/ be able to play high-definition content. Instead, it's
    >> punting and leaving the decision up to "third parties" to sort out. Not
    >> exactly a ringing endorsement, is it...

    > Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit

    Slysoft lives? That's good news.

    Philip

    Philip, Aug 25, 2006
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > http://www.apcstart.com/site/dwarne...other-feature-full-hd-playback-in-32bit-vista

    > >> Not absolutely incorrect.

    > > Hi Pedantic
    > >
    > > The premise of the article was that "no 32-bit versions of Windows
    > > Vista will be able to play back "next generation high definition
    > > protected content"
    > >
    > > This is incorrect and a miscommunication
    > >
    > > Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit

    > The fact remains that Microsoft will be providing high-def playback out of
    > the box on 64-bit Vista, but not 32-bit. And people using 32-bit Vista may

    This is NOT a fact

    Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit versions of
    Windows Vista.

    > find their access to high-def content blocked anyway. From
    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/25/hollywood_demands_64-bit_pcs/>:
    >
    > Riley's words - and follow-up comment from Microsoft spin teams -
    > suggest that while WMP 11 won't play HD media in 32-bit Vista,
    > third-party apps may well do. The question is, will the content
    > providers allow the likes of Cyberlink to support the new disc formats?
    >
    > Possibly not. According to Riley, the decision to drop 32-bit HD DVD and

    This statement is wrong, this is incorrect.

    Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit versions of
    Windows Vista.

    > BD playback from WMP 11 was made because "the media companies asked us
    > to do this".

    What was said and quoted is wrong and incorrect

    Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit versions of
    Windows Vista.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 25, 2006
  10. Mutlley

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:23:45 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >>So Microsoft is not quite guaranteeing that 32-bit versions of
    >>Visaster /will/ be able to play high-definition content. Instead, it's
    >>punting and leaving the decision up to "third parties" to sort out. Not
    >>exactly a ringing endorsement, is it...

    > Third parties creating applications? Get out of town!

    I know you find that hard to understand.

    On the Windows platform, everything not created by M$ is a third part
    application.

    This is because ONLY M$ can compile and distribute M$ Windows.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...

    MaHogany, Aug 25, 2006
  11. Mutlley

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:55:02 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> > This news is absolutely incorrect

    >> Not absolutely incorrect.

    > Hi Pedantic
    >
    > The premise of the article was that "no 32-bit versions of Windows
    > Vista will be able to play back "next generation high definition
    > protected content"

    "... out of the box"

    > This is incorrect and a miscommunication
    >
    > Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit

    That sorta leads to the question what *IS* M$ intending to block?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    --
    Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?
    "The key benefit of open technologies such as open source software is
    freedom of choice."
    --
    Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "What many people are discovering is that the
    Linux desktop works just fine."
    --
    "Even though a peice of code may documented it doesn't make it readable,
    understandable or even usable. Especially when said documentation starts with
    "I don't know exactly why this was included, what it does, or how it does it
    but the system won't work without it" or simply "Sorry about this..."
    --
    Judge John Daniel Tinder, United States District Court: "The GPL
    encourages, rather than discourages, free competition and the
    distribution of computer operating systems, the benefits of which
    directly pass to consumers."
    --
    One Unix to rule them all,
    One Resolver to find them,
    One IP to bring them all
    And in the Zone to Bind them.
    --
    Mary Ann Fisher: "Things like TCP/IP, Apache and Linux are rock-solid
    open source technologies."
    --
    Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they
    occur when coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.
    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    Linux, and it does all the things that they want."
    --
    Every major worm other than the original Morris Worm from 1988 has
    leveraged a hole in Microsoft products.
    --
    "For sale one slightly used parachute, never been opened."
    --
    Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than that.
    The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you decide -
    as I have - that they are not, the next question becomes, 'Do I really want
    to do business with, to trust my business to, a company like that?'"
    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an
    oxymoron. They will do what they can get away with. Of course this
    makes it difficult for their advocates to occupy any high moral ground."
    --
    Tony Simpson: "It is the historical role of the young to irritate
    the old by being so innocent & naive. And, is the historical role
    of the old to irritate the young by pointing it out."
    --
    "I like the boys who do. I respect the boys who don't. I hate the
    boy who says he will but then he says he won't. But the boy I like
    best of all, and I think you'll say I'm right, is the boy who says
    he never does, but he looks as though he might."
    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are
    doing, but this old Queen wants a drink."
    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"
    --
    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long bath and a short
    dress to get in to."
    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the
    universe and everything.
    --
    "President Bush is NOT the only stupid person in America, There
    are plenty to choose from"

    MaHogany, Aug 25, 2006
  12. Mutlley

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 23:08:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > The fact remains that Microsoft will be providing high-def playback out of
    > the box on 64-bit Vista, but not 32-bit. And people using 32-bit Vista may
    > find their access to high-def content blocked anyway.

    This is AKA a marketing ploy to kick start the drooping PC sales industry
    by forcing people to buy 64bit PCs if they want to be able to view high
    definition DVDs

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...

    MaHogany, Aug 25, 2006
  13. In message <>, Waylon Kenning
    wrote:

    > T'was the Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:08:42 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    > D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    > this:
    >
    >>So Microsoft is not quite guaranteeing that 32-bit versions of
    >>Visaster /will/ be able to play high-definition content. Instead, it's
    >>punting and leaving the decision up to "third parties" to sort out. Not
    >>exactly a ringing endorsement, is it...

    > Third parties creating applications? Get out of town!
    >
    > I mean, after all, GNU/Linux based distributions are just one big
    > piece of monolithic code created by the one company/contributor.

    The concept of "third-party" is a lot less clear cut in the Open Source
    world than it is in Closed Source. With a typical Linux distro, only a
    minority of the code would be written by the distro vendors/developers
    themselves--much of the rest would be adapted from code you can find
    elsewhere. Whereas with a copy of Dimdows, (almost) everything in the box
    is written by Microsoft.

    And with Dimdows, there is no in-built mechanism that gives you immediate
    access to third-party software without you having to go out and buy it, or
    find a Web site, etc. Whereas under Linux you have easy-access functions
    like Click'n'Run for Linspire, YaST for SuSE, Synaptic for Debian (and
    possibly Fedora as well), that give you access to thousands of additional
    packages, all prepackaged for those distros and ready to use, without
    having to find a Web address, let alone leave the comfort of your chair.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 25, 2006
  14. In message <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> The fact remains that Microsoft will be providing high-def playback out
    >> of the box on 64-bit Vista, but not 32-bit.

    > This is NOT a fact

    So Microsoft will NOT be providing high-def playback out of the box on
    64-bit Vista?

    >> And people using 32-bit Vista may find their access to high-def content
    >> blocked anyway. From
    >> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/25/hollywood_demands_64-bit_pcs/>:
    >>
    >> Riley's words - and follow-up comment from Microsoft spin teams -
    >> suggest that while WMP 11 won't play HD media in 32-bit Vista,
    >> third-party apps may well do. The question is, will the content
    >> providers allow the likes of Cyberlink to support the new disc
    >> formats?
    >>
    >> Possibly not.

    > This statement is wrong, this is incorrect.
    >
    > Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit versions of
    > Windows Vista.

    The article quoted above does not say Microsoft will do the blocking. It
    does say it may be blocked anyway.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 25, 2006
  15. Mutlley

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:23:45 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >>>So Microsoft is not quite guaranteeing that 32-bit versions of
    >>>Visaster /will/ be able to play high-definition content. Instead, it's
    >>>punting and leaving the decision up to "third parties" to sort out. Not
    >>>exactly a ringing endorsement, is it...

    >> Third parties creating applications? Get out of town!

    > I know you find that hard to understand.
    >
    > On the Windows platform, everything not created by M$ is a third part
    > application.
    >
    > This is because ONLY M$ can compile and distribute M$ Windows.
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    Damn shame all right.
    People in our street are selling brand new BMWs faster than we can build the
    buggers.

    Casio has been building Dell computers for years and distributing them under
    Dell which doesn't actually even exist.

    What you you're saying is that the more piracy the better - with any fool
    being able to copy and sell off their versions of Windows and other
    Microsoft products.

    If someone fiddles round and tweaks Linux enough it's then no longer just
    Linux. It becomes Redhat, Ubuntu, Felix, and God knows what else.

    Next time you have some Coco Cola just remember that it might've come from
    Casio factory instead. You'll be expecting Epson to start making Tip Top
    ice cream next.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 26, 2006
  16. Mutlley

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not absolutely incorrect.

    >> Hi Pedantic
    >>
    >> The premise of the article was that "no 32-bit versions of Windows
    >> Vista will be able to play back "next generation high definition
    >> protected content"

    > "... out of the box"
    >

    >> This is incorrect and a miscommunication
    >>
    >> Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit

    > That sorta leads to the question what *IS* M$ intending to block?
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    How about you trying to learn about Usenet - instead of posting a damn 1
    line message with a 100 line sig. describing your state of mind?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 26, 2006
  17. Mutlley

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:23:31 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Microsoft will not block HD-DVD or BluRay playback on 32bit versions of
    > Windows Vista.

    That is another way of saying that M$ won't be enabling playback
    out-of-the-box of neither HD-DVD nor BluRay discs on 32bit versions of M$
    Windows Vi$ta.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...

    MaHogany, Aug 26, 2006
  18. Mutlley

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 23:08:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> The fact remains that Microsoft will be providing high-def playback out
    >> of
    >> the box on 64-bit Vista, but not 32-bit. And people using 32-bit Vista
    >> may
    >> find their access to high-def content blocked anyway.

    > This is AKA a marketing ploy to kick start the drooping PC sales industry
    > by forcing people to buy 64bit PCs if they want to be able to view high
    > definition DVDs
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    Bullshit!
    High Definition DVDs have been working fine on 386 PCs for years. These
    days you only have to look at the HD DVD and you can watch the full movie on
    the back of it all thanks to micro technology.

    And just what is so bad about having a 256bit PC that's the size of a credit
    card? Won't belong before TVs are Internet capable - you'll be able to
    watch programs from all round the world through the Internet directly to
    your TV set - and it won't work on a Philips K9 TV.

    Unlike you my old PCs are long gone and damn good riddance to them.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 26, 2006
  19. Mutlley

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In message <>, Nathan
    > Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> The fact remains that Microsoft will be providing high-def playback out
    >>> of the box on 64-bit Vista, but not 32-bit.

    >> This is NOT a fact

    > So Microsoft will NOT be providing high-def playback out of the box on
    > 64-bit Vista?

    Don't see why not.
    I see chickens crossing the road all the time well before they've even been
    hatched - I'm damn sure you do as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 26, 2006
  20. Mutlley

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:22:00 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > What you you're saying is that the more piracy the better - with any fool
    > being able to copy and sell off their versions of Windows and other
    > Microsoft products.

    No - not at all. Altho' M$ deserves all the viruses and piracy it gets.

    My point is that Micro$oft software is, well, only available from
    Micro$oft - and only for payment of a license fee; whereas Linux is widely
    available from multiple sources - and often at no charge for downloading
    the disc images. And you are free to give away copies for only the cost of
    the physical media.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?